• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#46 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,571 Thanks
  • 1,132 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 12:11 PM

Hi It moves under its own power, this morning I fabricated a clutch pilot tool ( I know it really isn't needed as classic posted) but I wanted to play on the lathe, got the clutch and engine installed pressed the clutch pedal down and it didn't seem to release was a bit bummed but put the tranny in neutral and gave the start rope a pull after 2 tries it fired up let it warm up a couple of minutes and realized I hadn't installed the engine mount bolts  shut the engine off got the mount bolts installed & installed the points cover so I can just push the kill button vs getting a long screwdriver and shorting the spark plug fired up the old 23 and got up on the tractor stepped on the clutch pedal and it worked shifted into 1st  drove ahead in the shop backed up and tried the other gears all worked good so opened the shop doors and drove it outside for a test drive and it worked as it should the steering needs some work, some is alignment some is the need for a better steering wheel. I did notice that the gear ratio is different than the other 3 PK's I have noticeably faster 3rd feels like a road gear. One thing I found it need a seal on the left brake shaft but it was fun getting it out and driving it. 

This afternoon my friend came in to the shop and he took it out for a drive I was going to do a short video but the old camera i keep in the shop won't do videos anymore (never was good) so I got a couple stills of him driving

HPIM2608.JPG HPIM2609.JPG HPIM2610.JPG .

Edited by MNGB, October 26, 2016 - 05:32 PM.

• grnspot110, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#47 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,684 Thanks
  • 2,064 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 05:11 PM

Great to hear that you got it going! I'm thinking that all of the Economy tractors with the Model A Ford rears came with a 4.11:1 ring and pinion gear set. I took apart two of these rear ends, one from a '56 Economy and one from a '58 Economy, and both had 4:11 gears. 1st gear seems just right for pulling heave loads uphill, and the tractor moves along well in 3rd. 4:11 gears were an optional ratio offered by Ford in Model A's. At least that's what I've read about them. For me, it's the perfect ratio for what I plan to do with my tractor. If you find that you need to replace steering column or steering box parts and need part numbers, just let me know. After rebuilding mine, I filled it with 85w-140w gear oil and no leaks. Parts for these Ross boxes can be found, but it's not easy to locate some things. This box with the short sector shaft was used in some Crosley vehicles. I have yet to find an NOS sector shaft for one of these boxes. If the sector shaft isn't worn too badly where it passes through the bushings, a new sector shaft pin can be installed, but it takes some careful drilling, grinding, and welding. When this pin has worn flat spots on it, it's impossible to adjust the play out of the box. It's worth putting the effort into the steering column, since sloppy steering can be aggravating.
  • Alc, KennyP, MNGB and 1 other said thanks

#48 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,571 Thanks
  • 1,132 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 05:48 PM

Thanks classic when I disassemble the tractor I'll be contacting you for information from what I can figure out on the steering that its the front forks / spindles have lots of wear tomorrow I'm going to see what can be done with that area.

Yes 1st gear seems good actually I don't  mine any of the speeds, was just surprised that it was noticeably faster. Another thing is this tractor is not easy to get up on and on the seat especially for an old guy with arthritis but once in place it not bad, I think I'll add some foot rest though. Boy the old B&S 23 sure runs nice no smoking no strange noises just running so nice. 

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#49 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,684 Thanks
  • 2,064 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 07:03 PM

You're welcome GB. The tractor really looks great and was well worth picking up. I'm sure it will take some effort to repair the loose front end, but it shouldn't bee too difficult. Something like that makes a good winter project.
  • MNGB said thank you

#50 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,571 Thanks
  • 1,132 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 07:20 PM

Hi the front axle is a 2"X2" square solid hunk of steel and has holes drilled in it for the spindles to go thur but it has 4 such holes so the front wheels can be set wide or narrower tomorrow I'm going to try moving the spindles in to see if its the holes or the spindles that are worn or maybe both, the biggest think will be to get the tie rod apart, the good thing is its not threaded but a slip joint with set screws/bolts locking it in place. If it turns out to be the spindle shafts it maybe possible to fabricate some new one.

• Alc and classic have said thanks

#51 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 1,604 Thanks
  • 1,017 posts

Posted October 27, 2016 - 09:24 AM

Loved the "live action" pics. Must've been a great feeling on the maiden voyage. You've got me staring at my '53 Country Squire project out my shop window. Nice work, congrats!

• Cvans and MNGB have said thanks

#52 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,571 Thanks
  • 1,132 posts

Posted October 27, 2016 - 01:09 PM

Hi Ellis, yes its always a good feeling when one gets an old machine going after along nap. I asked the fellow I got it from if he knew how long it had been since it was last used he didn't know but said if he talks to the folks he got it from he would ask, interesting bit of information the fellow I bought it from has now sold me 5 tractors and over the past few years we've become friends not close but we've discovered we share a few life experiences we're both Vietnam vet both have had a couple of our own business's and he likes that when i get a tractor from him I get it going and use it or whatever and don't part it or leave it sit. Anyway he owned this tractor 30+ yrs about sold it to one of his high school classmates they had a nursery and used it then they got a newer tractor and the old Economy sat in the shed for yrs probably 20 yrs and this fall he was going back over to Wis for his 50th class reunion and thought I should have this tractor, I said I really wasn't into the old Economy's and preferred the long hood 70's 80's models but he took trailer with on the trip and came back with the tractor and of course once I saw it I liked it. So here we are getting an old Economy going. Its fun to work on these simple well built machines and its amazing how with some time and work they can be brought back to life.

• KennyP, drbish, tiretrx and 1 other said thanks

#53 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,604 Thanks
  • 1,017 posts

Posted October 27, 2016 - 02:47 PM

Thank you for your service, sir.

It often makes me wonder why these machines were "put up" to begin with, when as is in this case, they were still able to run. I know in many cases with local Gravely's they were just replaced by what were deemed more efficient/faster machines at the time. Ran/worked fine, just put to pasture. That's why It's always interesting to find out their history, and learn about the folks that worked them.

Great story, thanks for sharing it :wave:

• drbish, MNGB and Merle013 have said thanks

#54 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • Member No: 43924
  • 357 Thanks
  • 232 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 12:38 PM

Congrats! Thanks for the pictures and updates as it's great to hear about early tractors such as this coming out of a long hibernation! 

I love the early (pre-1964) Economy's as well and also have a 1949 which is only a few tractor off the assembly line after yours #1552. 

With respect to rear end gearing, they actually had much taller gears 3:55 or 3:73 initially which were much too fast and then were geared down to 4:11 in about 1950 based on the tractors I've had. 

My 1949 flies with it's 8-24 rear tires. That tractor in 1st gear feels much like any of my later Economy's in 2nd gear. 

Thanks, Rob

• Alc, tiretrx, classic and 1 other said thanks

#55 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,571 Thanks
  • 1,132 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 12:58 PM

Hi Rob that's interesting that the two are so close together I wonder if they were built and finished the same day, I see your over in Wis and this tractor came from Wis I think the Milwaukee /  Waukesha  area.

#56 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • 357 Thanks
  • 232 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 09:26 AM

Interesting that it came out of the Waukesha/Milwaukee area. We live about 40 miles NW of Milwaukee and about 25 miles NW of Waukesha and considering that's were EPCO was based, you'd think there would be far more Economy's in this area and there really aren't at all; early one's especially. In fact, I found my 1949 #1552 all the way out in CT a couple of years ago and had it hauled home. 

#1552 is a little different as it's the "Deluxe Electric" model; which is the only one so far that I've ever stumbled across. The engine is a Wisconsin AEH with electric start which consists of a bendix starter and separate 6 volt generator to charge the battery.  

Economy1_zps89b49b3b.jpg

Economy31_zpsd8b08cdf.jpg

EconomyDeluxe2_zps9e0426ae.jpg

EconomyDeluxe_zpsfdc394aa.jpg

Thanks, Rob

• grnspot110, Alc, tiretrx and 1 other said thanks

#57 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,604 Thanks
  • 1,017 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 09:57 AM

Very nice machine, Rob. Love seeing the original paperwork........no doubt about which machine you have. Thanks for sharing!

• oldiron1 said thank you

#58 Merle013 ONLINE  

Merle013

If I can't do it slow then it's not going to get done.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 74432
  • 244 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 11:01 AM

Awesome tractor. Top of the line way back then. All I can find around here are 1970s. I got my 1964 Jim Dandy from a guy who bought it from a lawn service in Ohio.

#59 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,571 Thanks
  • 1,132 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 12:04 PM

Hi Rob thanks for the reply and pictures likewise I've never seen a Economy Deluxe, I didn't know they hade a gear drive starter I thought they had starter/ gen's on them. Good looking tractor got a question how does yours steer? Mine turns to the left easy but doesn't want to straighten out  that well, I thought it might be front alignment so I set that it helped some them I noticed the the right wheel assy maybe turned 180 from the left so got that changed also helped a bit but not as good as I'd like. 

#60 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • 357 Thanks
  • 232 posts

Posted November 02, 2016 - 01:16 PM

I actually had no idea they had a gear drive starter either until finding this tractor. Since then, I've found a couple other Wisconsin AEH engines on other tractors/applications with a similar starter setup so I'm pretty sure you'll only see it on an AEH model engine. 

Mine seems to steer very well in both directions; nothing noticeably wrong or hard to deal with anyway. 

Thanks, Rob

• MNGB said thank you