#17 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,003 Thanks
  • 5,866 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 11:14 AM

In my opinion glgrumpy and classic have given some excellent advice. That tractor looks like an good start to a neat restoration. Like you said those are not setting under every tree in this part of the country. 

Like Classic stated, it should only take a few minutes to lift the top off the transmission or loosen the drain plug and see how much water runs out. Replacing the bearings on most of the rotating shafts is a given but badly pitted or broken gears can be tough to get around. 

If this tractor is what your looking for I say go for it.  :thumbs:

• classic and MNGB have said thanks

#18 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,713 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 01:15 PM

Hi all, thanks for all the good replies and advise, I'm thinking it over and will may make him an offer and see what happens, the engine is loose and the trans shifted smooth it will need a steering wheel and I think the left brake has rust seized not sure about the rear tires but the fronts will need replacing as classic posted this would be more of a show / collector tractor and I'd restore it to original that is if I decide to get it.

• Gtractor and classic have said thanks

#19 Merle013 OFFLINE  

Merle013

If I can't do it slow then it's not going to get done.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 74432
  • 257 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 01:38 PM

I bought the 64 Jim Dandy (the one in my icon) for $350. Smokes a little and partially restored. The picture is how it looked when I unloaded it.

• classic and MNGB have said thanks

#20 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,976 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 01:45 PM

does not seem too bad for something as vintage as that and you get all those attachments.  I would try a decent offer and check for wiggle room before handing over the 7 bills.  You could have it ready to drive out when the snow finally melts in June.

• MNGB said thank you

#21 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,003 Thanks
  • 5,866 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 03:48 PM

classic posted this would be more of a show

If I had that you couldn't keep me off of it long enough for the paint to dry.  :D

Edited by Cvans, October 19, 2016 - 03:49 PM.

• Gtractor and MNGB have said thanks

#22 nkaust OFFLINE  

nkaust

• Member No: 6766
  • 79 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 08:53 PM

i got a 2414 steel hood, with hydro lift, dual transmissions, 3 point, 2 decks a rough 5 footer and a descent 4 footer, working on getting the mule drive, needs put back together and the tranny cover welded $750 takes it

#23 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,713 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 05:55 PM

Hi, well I did it we made a deal on the Economy this afternoon I'll go pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I've always been partial to the 70-80's long hood PK's never really thought much about5 the older Economy models but I really excited bout getting this 1949 standard model, will know more tomorrow or Saturday.

• Gtractor, Alc, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#24 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,003 Thanks
  • 5,866 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 07:50 PM

Congratulations on your purchase. 

• MNGB said thank you

#25 Merle013 OFFLINE  

Merle013

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 257 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 10:59 PM

Congrats. Nice tractor and cool extras. Wish  my 75 PK had the dual trans.

• Cvans and MNGB have said thanks

#26 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,629 Thanks
  • 4,700 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 03:09 AM

Congrats GB! 

• Cvans and MNGB have said thanks

#27 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,354 Thanks
  • 7,733 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 01:41 PM

I see you bought this over on the PK list.  I think you will like it. One thing on older ones is not much tin to get in way of repairs, that's one of best things, but then you miss foot rests unless you make some or put a tin pan on frame. ON that stuck brake, get it home and remove tire to see/work on and just try removing links and working it around, maybe a pry tool carefully used. Depends on if any brake material left on it, or if the bands are worn at ends and metal rusting to drum. Getting the pins out of shaft to slide off is one of hardest parts to do. Can't recall if you could remove drum and band as one by loosening set screw??? Then work on peeling off the band at bench. They can be recovered if needed if you wreck it taking off, or some offered on ebay all the time, just need correct ones. We'll be waiting for the updates! 

#28 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,713 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 05:45 PM

Hi, got the Economy home and into the shop, its going to take a lot of work but it will be a fun project, thanks GL for the reply, as it turned out the right brake was on the verge of being stuck I jacked it up and shot cark cleaner onto the brake drum an d it started turning easier give it a few more shot and it loosened up and turns good, so on the left brake it was tight tried bumping the wheel back and forth but no go so I removed the three bolts attaching the brake assy to the final drive that worked just like that it loosened up and I removed to check it out so the tractor now rolls with ease with trans in neutral, but it looks like the clutch is stuck so that's another job. Took the top off the trans looks good in there had lots of fresh water but fortunately no rust lots of sticky old gear lube cleaned it up and it looks good inside, pics are out of focus but it shows what its like. Tomorrow I'll remove the engine cylinder head and check out the bore etc.

HPIM1260.JPG HPIM1261.JPG HPIM1262.JPG HPIM1263.JPG HPIM1264.JPG

• Gtractor, classic, Merle013 and 1 other said thanks

#29 Merle013 OFFLINE  

Merle013

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 257 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 05:59 PM

I had the same issue with my Jim Dandy. I also had to drain and clean the rear end. Cleaning out that old slimy greese was the worst.  :toilethead:

• MNGB said thank you

#30 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,804 Thanks
  • 2,122 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 09:46 AM

You made a good move picking up that tractor, MNGB. Anything that you will need to get it back up and running can be found for these old machines. Since you are familiar with them, it makes it a whole lot easier. Half of the battle is just finding a good old machine to bring back to life, and this is a good one!
  • drbish, Cvans, oldiron1 and 1 other said thanks