• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 05:34 PM

Hi all, went and looked at a 1949 Economy Standard with a B&S 23FB engine, its not running need a complete restore comes with a row cultivator and a 1 bottom plow and he will also throw in a good B&S 32xxx 16 hp cast iron engine he wants $700.00 for it what do you all think.

HPIM1239.JPG HPIM1240.JPG HPIM1241.JPG HPIM1242.JPG HPIM1243.JPG HPIM1244.JPG HPIM1245.JPG HPIM1246.JPG HPIM1247.JPG

• Alc, Cvans, CRFarnsworth and 2 others have said thanks

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 05:40 PM

Great restoration candidate! It's from '49. What year is the engine?
  • MNGB said thank you

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 05:48 PM

Nearly as old as me!

• MNGB said thank you

#4 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 05:49 PM

I looked at the pics before reading the description, HA! Lot's of work there, but maybe worth the 700 in my opinion. It will cost quite a bit to bring back depending on what's worn or water damaged. It needs to be restored with the correct engine, not a later model Briggs. That's more of a collector/ light use tractor than a user.
  • MNGB said thank you

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 05:51 PM

That's a lot of money to get a lot of work.

• Gtractor and MNGB have said thanks

#6 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 05:56 PM

Hi, unless you put a "high" value on the implements, I think his price for the package is high.

I agree with classic, I would want a Wisc AEH or maybe a Briggs model 23

• MNGB said thank you

#7 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,294 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 06:00 PM

Hi, unless you put a "high" value on the implements, I think his price for the package is high.
I agree with classic, I would want a Wisc AEH or maybe a Briggs model 23

X2
Looks like its missing some parts as well.
I have seen them around here complete, running, and in good condition for around a 1000
  • MNGB said thank you

#8 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 06:29 PM

Thanks all for your replies, it is complete nothing missing it has the B&S 23FB engine in it SN 10071, that would be the right engine for this tractor,  I would rebuild the B 23FB and keep it original, I understand what some are saying about the implements I know out east they are readily available but here in MN  there are virtually none so here they are worth more money plows are $100 to 150 and the cultivator is worth more  at least to me, the 16 hp B&S is just a good engine to have they were used it lots of older Simplicity's Gilson / M Wards  and even in the later 70's PK,s so my thinking (this is dangerous I know) I'd be paying $300 / 350.00 for the tractor and yes its going to be a lot of work but the winter's here are long.

Edited by MNGB, October 18, 2016 - 06:32 PM.

• Cvans, oldiron1, classic and 1 other said thanks

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 06:54 PM

Thanks all for your replies, it is complete nothing missing it has the B&S 23FB engine in it SN 10071, that would be the right engine for this tractor,  I would rebuild the B 23FB and keep it original, I understand what some are saying about the implements I know out east they are readily available but here in MN  there are virtually none so here they are worth more money plows are $100 to 150 and the cultivator is worth more  at least to me, the 16 hp B&S is just a good engine to have they were used it lots of older Simplicity's Gilson / M Wards  and even in the later 70's PK,s so my thinking (this is dangerous I know) I'd be paying $300 / 350.00 for the tractor and yes its going to be a lot of work but the winter's here are long.

I agree completely but some of the guys out East don't comprehend what it is like not to be tripping over this stuff every day.  Sure it would be a lot of work but what hobby isn't a lot of work and expense?   Isn't that what we live for?  If I had the $$ and wanted it I would buy it.  Probably pay better than any bank interest.

• MNGB said thank you

#10 Genem OFFLINE  

Genem
  • Member No: 52933
  • 65 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 07:16 PM

I see it's loaded but not hooked to your pickup. Maybe add a little ($)and bring the trailer home with you to sweeten the deal. I agree it would be a fun project. Gene
  • MNGB said thank you

#11 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 07:52 PM

What its worth is all in what you are willing to pay, I really like the power king tractors and that looks like a big one.  I don't see $700 there but I am not on the lookout for one.  there is a really nice power kind just up the road form me all restored and ready to go for $2000.

Pete

• MNGB said thank you

#12 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 08:08 PM

If you are drooling and the wife is OK with it then in my opinion offer 500 cross your fingers and end up at 600. You feel good, he should feel good, and you will spend three times that and still be happy in the end! Good luck!
  • MNGB said thank you

#13 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 08:22 PM

Well, seems to me lots of the things missing or broken on most are all there on this one. That plow looks pretty crude, cultivators ok, but I would not use either my self. Like the big wheels AND Tires look pretty good, a big plus on those.  Surface rust all cleans up easy and long as stuff not rusted stuck, would think easy fix. I would do the total tear-down and rebuild if I got it, just because, that is what I do to all of mine.  Having a blaster makes it easier to do that.  Engine looks orig as said, would try to fix that if not stuck real bad, looks complete. Price not real great, the $500 sounds better to me. But, rarity out your way might make difference, plenty of them around here to buy.  I don't think it would be a waste of money, would make a great builder, and we Know You can do nice job. Will have to get diff steering wheel, that one will make it go too fast! :D

• Cvans and classic have said thanks

#14 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,448 Thanks
  • 1,601 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 08:25 PM

There are reasons why I think that the price is fair. Even here in the east, we're not tripping over '49 Economy tractors. There are plenty of 60's, 70's, and 80's tractors floating around, though. Prices range from 500 to over 3000 in some cases depending on what you are looking at. This '49 would be a good find even here. All of the rims look good and those fronts are not easy to find. The Model A Ford rear will have 4:11 gears and are not cheap if you priced a new ring and pinion in that ratio. I don't see early implements come up for sale often at all, either. I'm nearing the end of the build of my Junkyard found Economy tractor. I'm well aware of what to expect to find when completely rebuilding one of these tractors. I've found cracked bull gears, a cracked rear end center section, hogged out keyways, way out of spec engine parts, worn bushings and bearings throughout, etc., etc., etc. Not to mention leaking seals and rust damaged parts. The two big factors regarding the cost of rebuilding/restoring this '49 will be for one, how worn everything is, and two, did water get into the steering box, transmission, rear end center section, and bull gear housings. Water damage is my biggest fear when looking at old tractors. It ruins the shafts, bearings, races, and gears. I wouldn't buy an Economy tractor without pulling the trans top cover and checking the gear oil in the rear. Just looking at the steering column on that '49, it appears that the cap under the steering wheel at the top of the column tube is missing. I would expect a complete steering box/column rebuild is needed. If I were looking for a tractor to fix up and use regularly, 700.00 would be better spent elsewhere. For a restoration project of a cool old Economy tractor, 700.00 would be well spent here on this '49. Yes, it's a ton of work to fully restore something, but if you enjoy it as a hobby, it's worth it. I'm glad that I went the rout I went building my tractor, but I do have to admit that it's more work than I bargained for. At least I know what I'm in for on the next one.

Edited by classic, October 18, 2016 - 08:29 PM.

• Gtractor, Cvans and MNGB have said thanks

#15 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,592 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 10:40 PM

Like mentioned in another thread - it still sitting on the trailer for a quick flip.  :(

Price is not bad.  $550-$600 sounds a lot better.  I just can't stand mismatched rear tires.  I don't mind the newer style with modern tread angle - so long as they are the same.  Might not be able to find a mate to the newer tire.  That would lead to buying both.  $$$$ 

The cool factor is off the charts.  If you can make it happen, spoil yourself. 

• classic and MNGB have said thanks