Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Seagate once again

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 03:31 PM

Once again a seagate drive has failed without warning!  Wife said there was a dialog box on her computer this morning saying her backup had failed.  I went into the log file and found where it could not write to the folder it was supposed. Opened the file manager and sure enough no G: drive.  

Every other disc maker I have used, I have always gotten warning signs it was getting ready to fail and I was able to get any files off it I needed.  Not Seagate!  This make the 4th or 5th one that has failed like this.

The only good thing about this is that should be the last Seagate drive I have and there won't be another one if I can help it.  When you have to replace a hdd buyer beware!  Thanks Rant over. 

• DougT, MH81, Bruce Dorsi and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 08:51 PM

I got burnt by two seagate drives during seminary and walked away from them.  Helped classmates and members of my last church with problem machines... seagate drives were 90% of the problem.  A colleague lost 1TB of backed up data on a... Seagate drive. 

• MH81 and HDWildBill have said thanks

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 01:31 AM

Had 1 kick the bucket exactly 2 days after the 2 year warranty ran out.Neighbor Just had one quit that was also just over 2 years old.

Seagate drives USED to be the best drive you could get.I have an old 10gb Seagate drive sitting here from 2001 that still works fine.To small to use in anything and slow as heck but it still works lol.

My 500gb Western Digital is 8 years old and still works.I use it for storage since I got the SSD drive 2 years ago.

• Alc, Trav1s and HDWildBill have said thanks

#4 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 512 Thanks
  • 588 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 07:54 AM

I've had two go in laptops.  Went to an SSD and haven't looked back, in my MSI GT72 Dominator.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 08:03 AM

Had 1 kick the bucket exactly 2 days after the 2 year warranty ran out.Neighbor Just had one quit that was also just over 2 years old.

Seagate drives USED to be the best drive you could get.I have an old 10gb Seagate drive sitting here from 2001 that still works fine.To small to use in anything and slow as heck but it still works lol.

My 500gb Western Digital is 8 years old and still works.I use it for storage since I got the SSD drive 2 years ago.

I have a WD 80 GB that is probably around 10 years (not exactly sure when I got it, but I was still doing contract work at the time) that still works.  I got it from Circuit city in their hay day.