Jump to content

Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Newbie with some questions

  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Aztrooper OFFLINE  

  • Member
  • Member No: 84971
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts
  • Location: Arizona

Posted October 18, 2016 - 12:30 PM

My name is Bob and am new to the Sears Suburban riding mower line of tractors.  We have purchased 2.5 acres in the White Mountains of Arizona and are building a house.  I was getting some ideas for riding mowers when I came across the Sears Suburban line of older mowers.  I really liked the ST16 and ST12 mowers so I started checking Craig's List while visiting our daughters in Missouri.  I found a person who had at least 100 mowers on his property so I called him and asked.  He had a 1973 ST12 that was complete (even had the key) but didn't run because of a bad carb float that is split at the seam but if I replaced that, it would run.  He was asking $200 for it so I went into Kansas City to see it.  It was indeed complete with mower deck and it was all original including the seat which was in very good condition.  The only piece that is missing is the removable 1/3 part of the lower grill because it used to have a snow blower.  The pulleys are still there but no blower.  I bought the tractor and we loaded it up in the back of my truck for the 1400 mile trip back to Arizona.  


My plan for it is to, first, see if I can find a float or carb for it to see if it really runs.  Second, put one of the single cylinder 10hp diesel engines on it and clean it up while doing that.  I want to get/make a three point hitch with electric lift along with with some farm type implements for the back like a blade, harrow, rake and drag for use around the property.  


My question is, I want to find the 1/3 piece of the lower grill so it will look right.  Is the lower grill for the ST16 the same as the ST12?  They look the same but with out measuring them, I don't know.  Glad I found this forum and will be checking it out a lot for references.

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,684 Thanks
  • 9,473 posts
  • Location: N.E. Connecticut

Posted October 18, 2016 - 02:57 PM

Welcome to GTT. Check in our Manuals Section for the Parts Manual for your tractor. You can then compare the number to other tractors part number. Try our sponsors for the grill. Joes' has helped me several times with parts that I needed. I wouldn't do so much modification to that tractor. Modifications often end up costing more than just buying a GT with what you want. You will also find that no matter what tractor you have, you will need a larger one.


Try to find a Bolens Large Frame tractor. Once you try it, you'll want it for the heavier jobs. It will have the hydraulic lift already and is foot controlled hydrostatic. It will also prove that bigger is better. Post pics when you can. Did I mention that this hobby is addictive? Good Luck, Rick.

  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  


    Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,985 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts
  • Location: Ga

Posted October 18, 2016 - 03:39 PM

:welcometogttalk:  I can't answer your question but I know several members who can.  I'm sure they will be along before long.

  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 4,095 Thanks
  • 2,926 posts
  • Location: Southern New Hampshire

Posted October 18, 2016 - 04:22 PM


Yes the lower piece should be the same. Sears has it's own line of 3pt accessories for their tractors. here is a good site for reference to what's available.  http://vintagesearsgardentractors.com


I agree with Rick ( AKA Boyscout862 ), if you want hydraulics, it's easier/cheaper to find one all setup. The Bolens large frames are a big heavy duty tractor. Case, Massey Ferguson , John Deere, Cub Cadet and a few others all make some good larger tractors with hydraulics and plenty of implements that fit them.


Ask all the questions here you like, there are plenty of knowledgable people here to help.

  • boyscout862 said thank you

#5 Aztrooper OFFLINE  

  • Member
  • Member No: 84971
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts
  • Location: Arizona

Posted October 18, 2016 - 04:46 PM

Couldn't find my tractor in the manuals sections.  It is a 1973, model 917.25730.  I don't want to do heavy duty stuff, just things I can do with that tractor.  Here is the YT link.    I may have mistated.  Not hydrulaics but an assisted 3 point lift system like above.  As far as hydrostatic, I would rather have the gears like I have.  I think this will accomplish exactly what I want.  If I was going to get a bigger tractor, It would probably be a Yanmar 4X4 three cylinder diesel.  Like the smaller ones.  Thanks for the advise.

Edited by Aztrooper, October 18, 2016 - 04:49 PM.

  • KennyP, boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks


  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,482 Thanks
  • 4,736 posts
  • Location: Holland, IN

Posted October 18, 2016 - 05:54 PM


  • boyscout862 said thank you


  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 8,333 Thanks
  • 5,815 posts
  • Location: "Hamiltucky" Ohio

Posted October 24, 2016 - 11:59 AM


you can pretty much use a manual for the ST16 tractors, all will be basically the same other than the motor. For that, download the Tecumseh 8-18hp manual and it will cover that.


As for the hydro 3pt, you can easily find an old Power steering pump from an older GM car/truck or Dodge from a pick/pull junkyard and use that as your hydraulic pump. Then you would just need the control valve and cyl/hoses.


That same guy you posted the video from also has a hydro 3pt on his blue tractor.

#8 JiminRI OFFLINE  

  • Member
  • Member No: 62914
  • 91 Thanks
  • 80 posts
  • Location: Rhode Island

Posted October 28, 2016 - 10:36 PM

Welcome to the forum, Aztrooper!


The Searspartsdirect site lists the grill piece as part number 2678R. That is the same part number as used on the 1972 ST16 (917.25740), 1973 ST16 (917.25741). 1973 SS16 (917.25751), and 1974 SS16 (917.25752). But, the 1977 GT-18 (917.257061) which looks about the same is a different part number. Interestingly, the 1976 ST-12's part number is 7938R which is the same as the GT18.


I hope this helps,


Edited by JiminRI, October 28, 2016 - 10:44 PM.

  • Aztrooper said thank you