• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,308 Thanks
  • 979 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 10:10 PM

Pulled out the Mantis tiller this fall and it was acting like the pump diaphragm was giving up. This didn't surprise me as it's 10 yrs old so I figured it was time for a new carb. I gave up trying to kit these little carbs!! Added about an ounce of seafoam to the full tank and finished what I was doing. Two weeks later started it up again today for another project and it starts easier and no surging like it was doing before.

Mike

• Gtractor, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Achto OFFLINE  

Achto
  • Member No: 83574
  • 18 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 09:42 AM

I'm not a believer in most cures in a can, except for Sea Foam.  I will only use ethanol free gasoline in my small engines and I  add Sea Foam to every gallon of it. Keeps thing clean and keeps gas stabile longer.

• KennyP said thank you

#3 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,532 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 09:44 AM

Pulled out the Mantis tiller this fall and it was acting like the pump diaphragm was giving up. This didn't surprise me as it's 10 yrs old so I figured it was time for a new carb. I gave up trying to kit these little carbs!! Added about an ounce of seafoam to the full tank and finished what I was doing. Two weeks later started it up again today for another project and it starts easier and no surging like it was doing before.

Mike

Seafoam is awesome, one of two additives I will use(Lucas Oil is the other), my dad's skid loader(V4 Wisconsin) was running like crap, added some to the gas, what a difference, idles and runs great now, I always keep some on hand.

• KennyP said thank you

#4 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,308 Thanks
  • 979 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 09:47 AM

I too use non ethanol gas in all my small engines. When they're put away for the off season the tank is siphoned empty and then run until it dies. Been doing this for about 10 yrs now and no harm done. 

Mike

• KennyP said thank you

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,647 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 10:19 AM

Besides Seafoam, I would use MMO, but I think auto trans fluid is probably just as good. They are both great crankcase cleaners.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,297 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 11:30 AM

I use it periodically as maintenance. Glad it helped your mantis.
I have a couple engines I run dry and just as it starts to stall, I pull the choke and run some penetrating oil into the bowl.

No problems on them since.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 04:07 PM

I use Sea Foam and MMO regularly! Love them both!

#8 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,308 Thanks
  • 979 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 04:30 PM

Well, I'm not sure now. Went out today to work on my project some more and it decided it wanted to load up at idle and die. I finally got pizzed and removed the EPA caps off the jet adjustment screws, turned them both in lightly seated and turned each out 1 1/2 turns and worked from there. After removing the tines so I could rev it up got everything working right again. I've checked the pickup filter and it looks clean. I did notice when I removed the air filter it was soaked in fuel which probably was the cause of the loading up at idle. Thought I cured that when I removed the check valve from the tank vent. I'll see how things go tomorrow. It may still be carb replacement time!!

Mike