• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nyrobbie77 OFFLINE  

nyrobbie77

• Member No: 2163
  • 80 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 09:17 AM

Went out to do my final mow of the season this weekend.  I hit the PTO switch on my GTX18 and heard the belt squeal and no blade movement.  thinking I probably just had a twig jammed in the blades again I jacked up the tractor to investigate.  Hmm, nothing under the deck and I can sort of move the blades by hand.  I then took the belt off to check each blade individually thinking I probably have a seized spindle bearing.  Sure enough, one of them will barely spin and then I noticed that the spacer that sandwiches between the blade and the spindle housing is broken.  I decided I might as well pull the deck and check them all out.  The other two spindles seem ok, though one had a cracked spacer.  the housing on the seized one looks like the spacer continued to spin and ate into the housing. 

So I guess I'm going to replace the bearings in all three spindles, along with the spacer.  Last year I replaced the tensioner and idler pulley along with a new belt.  Looks like I'll be finishing the rebuild this year.  I ended up mowing with my trusty Honda push mower.  13 y/o and I've only ever had to change the oil and put gas in it. 

Does anyone happen to have a used spindle housing?  Part number is 1765092, 1769048099, or 1769048.  I might be ok with the one that got damaged, but if I can find a used one to replace it I might as well. 

FYI, the bearings are p/n 1185574P and the spacer is 1765029. Both are readily available from many sources. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0848.JPG
  • IMG_0849.JPG

• chieffan said thank you

#2 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 922 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 11:25 AM

Bummer, hopefully one of our good sponsors here will have one. 

#3 nyrobbie77 OFFLINE  

nyrobbie77

• Member No: 2163
  • 80 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 12:49 PM

Anyone familiar with KML bearings?  My local bearing supplier crossed to KML brand of 6204 3/4" bore.  Looks like a China manufactured bearing but this supplier usually recommends good stuff. 

#4 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 946 Thanks
  • 375 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 01:09 PM

KML are decent for the price. Probably one of the better Chinese bearings IMO. If they'll do it, have your supplier remove one of grease seals for you and then compare it to a Fafnir equivalent. Many of the cheap Chinese sealed bearings are seriously lacking in the grease department. This is very critical when dealing with sealed bearings. For a few dollars more, I try to stick with Fafnir or Koyo myself. I sent you a PM in regards to the bearing housing.

• nyrobbie77 and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 01:12 PM

Finish mowing the last timer this afternoon.  Then clean both decks good on the under side and two will be ready for winter storage.  Will have on with a double bagger on it and will need it a few times yet this year.  Had the killing front  and 20+ wind today so the leaves are blowing all over.

• nyrobbie77 said thank you