gt 5000

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SuperK OFFLINE  

• Member No: 84958
  • 7 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 04:40 AM

Aloha, New member from Hawaii, just purchased a used 2006 GT 5000, 26 HP, 48" Deck. When I get it running again, I'll be using it as light duty farm use on our 1 acre lot. I do plan on upgrading this unit to run hydraulics for attachments, a DIY FEL, drag bucket, and others, but first I have to get it started.
When I picked it up it ran fine- started up first turn and loaded into my truck fine (straight shot). Started up and offloaded fine, though when I bought it, it only turned right. It was the steering sector and I knew that when I bought it. Limped it to the slab I have for storage, and got the part changed out; I go to start it and nothing. I figure it's in the electrics, either the seat switch, the Gear lever switch, or something of that line.

Anyone have any ideas on how to bypass these items to rule them in or out as the troublemaker?

When it did run, it was a good puller and I am looking forward to building the attachments to get my farm chores done more easily. That is what these are for right?

• tractorgarden, Traill95, oldedeeres and 4 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,689 Thanks
  • 39,064 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 04:53 AM

:wave:  Welcome to the forum! There should be a model # decal under the seat. We'll need that to find the wiring diagram. Some pics will help also. Check the link in my signature for help uploading those.

• boyscout862 and Countryboo have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,293 Thanks
  • 6,498 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 05:19 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !  I can't wait to see pictures of your  area your plan on using your tractor on .

• boyscout862, HANKG and propane1 have said thanks

#4 shorty OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,327 Thanks
  • 3,756 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 05:22 AM

Welcome to GTtalk!
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,533 Thanks
  • 6,384 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 06:43 AM

I didn't understand if you fixed the  steering then in drive or just what??  Might be you pulled some wiring back out of way and unplugged some safety switch? Might be one on trans shifter, the brake pedal or clutch pedal, one I'm thinking you could have pulled easy, or pto switch position, and again Seat has one too, if you removed any of that to get to the repaired parts. Get an owner's manual to see all the safety steps and starting procedure, maybe you are missing a step?

#6 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,746 Thanks
  • 2,166 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 07:56 AM

Welcome to GTTALK.

#7 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,551 Thanks
  • 3,082 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 10:10 AM

Welcome aboard.

#8 secondtry OFFLINE  

• Member No: 83632
  • 261 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 11:35 AM

Go to the top of this page, find the "manuals" tab. Search there for your manual. Without more information the answers to your questions can only very general. For all brands and wiring schemes the first step is to check the battery. Then a careful visual inspection, look for lose connections, disconnected wires, corroded connections, bare wires/shorts. Lots of time and patience should be devoted to the inspection. What you learn will likely help sometime in the future if not now. I suspect corrosion may be more of a problem at your location than say Arizona. Good luck and welcome aboard. Don

• KennyP said thank you

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,677 Thanks
  • 4,224 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 05:13 PM