• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 07:24 PM

I decided today to start the repower of my wood splitter,It had a 6.5 hp honda engine that I have had to baby along for 3 years ,I have replaced everything but the block itself I think,It is also the 3rd Honda engine on it over the 3 year span,the last one broke a valve spring I think.Any way I am not a fan of these 3 honda motors and will put them up for sale soon.The new motor is a techumpsy(yeah that is not even close to how you spell that) 12 hp with electric start,It is like new,It has a gear reduction box attached to it and was set up to run a well pump but never used much,I removed the reduction box and pulled the honda out  as you can see in the pics I had to do some surgery ,I cut off the metal box that surrounded the old motor and took off the custom hydraulic tank(cow milker)stainless tank and lifted the new motor in place with the cherry picker ,Lots easier then lifting it myself,,,Its heavy,I will weld the steel channel that was used for a motor mount to the frame and build a bracket for the hydraulic tank and the battery.I had to machine out the love joy connector to 1 in for the new engine ,Thankfully I have a metal lathe makes that work easier..Off to a good start I think.Need to get it done and get at the woodpile

Attached Thumbnails

• PTDC0154.JPG
  • PTDC0155.JPG
  • PTDC0156.JPG
  • PTDC0157.JPG
  • PTDC0158.JPG
  • PTDC0159.JPG
  • PTDC0160.JPG
  • PTDC0161.JPG
  • PTDC0162.JPG
  • PTDC0163.JPG

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#2 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 08:05 PM

most around here would slam you for replacing a Honduh with a Tecumseh but not me. I hate Honda anything. and clones worse.

• Reed Breneman said thank you

#3 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 08:21 PM

Usually the Honda engines I have been around for lawn and garden equipment really seemed to be pretty good but I sure didnt have good luck with these 6.5 hp ones,They never did perform well for me

• shorty said thank you

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,544 Thanks
  • 3,929 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 08:25 PM

I have seen some crazy hours on Honda equipment already. Makes me curious why they wouldn't last on a splitter.

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 08:30 PM

Love a good old Tecumseh! Kohler then Tecumseh for me. Those old Kohler's seem to generate so much torque.

I've never had any trouble with the Honda motors or the clones. Never used them on lawn equipment but for go karts and minibikes. Some heavily modified. Running 3 times the original governed rpm.

#6 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 343 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 10:06 PM

I put a Harbor freight 6.5 on my splitter 5 years ago and have loaned it out three times, didn't see it for 4 months. still going fine. 12 hp should allow a larger pump for more speed. That would be a big plus. don

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 11:46 PM

Your problems with the Honda engines piques my interest. I'm wonder with the engine mounted on a pedestal like that if you had a harmonics problem of some sort. Dirt in the cooling fins shouldn't have been a issue. Did that cover allow for proper ventilation? 

Edited by Cvans, October 17, 2016 - 09:08 AM.

• Bill 76 and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,544 Thanks
  • 3,929 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 05:42 AM

For my equipment, I prefer Kohler. At work it's all Honda. We had a generator hit 12000 hours before needing a rebuild. But they don't have the working torque of a Kohler or any older engine.

#9 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 06:57 AM

Your problems with the Honda engines piques my interest. I'm wonder with the engine mounted on a pedestal like that if you had a harmonics problem of some sort. Dirt shouldn't in the cooling fins shouldn't have been a issue. Did that cover allow for proper ventilation? 

A harmonics problem ,,,couldnt tell ya??? The motor is rubber mounted . as for the box and over heating ,none of them seemed to be running hotter then they should be.They all just ran flat and seemed under powered.I have friends with the same motor running many different things and all are quiet and powerful,mine were embarrasing compared to theirs.I always wondered if they just werent big enough for the splitter.I am far from an expert on hydraulic system ratings so I am not sure.If you notice in the pics my splitter was originally a tractor mount or a 3 point splitter and it does 36 in wood,I bought it the way you see it with the first motor being a honda 6.5 but that motor was shot so I replaced with the same to make it an easy swap,the first motor made it 2 weeks!I do know it struggles sometimes to split wood but some wood is tough splittin so I dont know

• Cvans and chieffan have said thanks

#10 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,039 Thanks
  • 775 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 07:36 AM

Looks top heavy, better put a roll bar on it.

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,494 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 07:44 AM

I also have a home made splitter but only takes 18".  That is what the fireplace handles nicely.  Powered with an old cast iron 10hp Briggs off a grain augur.  Motor on the tow end.  Tank over the axle with control.  Splitting is done on the back end.  Open access to the wood and the control valve with no axle to contend with.  Motor up front is out of the dirt and plenty or air around it.  Run that way for several years with no problem.  That Briggs will burn the belt if you get into something to hard to split, which don't happen very often.  Have to know which way to put the wood in to get it to split helps.  You have a mean looking machine there you could split half a fence post with.

• Cvans and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#12 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 09:34 AM

Looks top heavy, better put a roll bar on it.

I can tell ya it overall is real heavy,you cant pick up the hitch end to hook it on the truck with out the jack

• KennyP said thank you

#13 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 04:31 PM

When you had the Hondas on the splitter did the exhaust have a clear straight path out of the box?

#14 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 09:43 AM

When you had the Hondas on the splitter did the exhaust have a clear straight path out of the box?

yep there was a hole cut out for that

• DH1 said thank you

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts