• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• Member No: 5581
  • 12 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 05:40 PM

Following the manual as best as I can on this. I want to thank the site for having the manuals!  As long as I was putting the deck back on, I decided to remove the rigged up brackets I made a few years ago and hang the bungee up that kept the mower blade brake on.. I fixed the front spindle on the mower. So now on to making the deck work right.. 

I think I have the on/off for the blades right (maybe) but can't get the blade brake to work right. The lower the deck, the better it works. For my rough lawn I like the deck one notch from the top or all the to the top. Otherwise it scalps. But when I place the deck in the latter positions, the the on/off lever is harder to move and the blade brake does not work even though I can feel the detent in the on/off lever. 

For adjustment, I lowered the deck to the lowest hole and the tractor lever all the way down. I moved the over center rod as far forward as it would go (without forcing it) while I had 5/8" spacer under the attachment drive lever (turns the blades on/off). I used a truck hitch pin that just happened to be 5/8" The trunnion rod had a bend in it by the over center bracket. Looking in the manual, it looked like it was supposed to be straight. So I straightened it. 

In this position, I could somewhat move between on/off on the driver lever. It took a great deal of force though. I finally realized there is an adjustment for the over center rod. I backed out the nut to about 3-7/8", which is what I think the manual says. Works better! Much easier to move the lever. 

When the lever is in the off position, I assume the brake pad should be tight against the center pulley? I adjusted all the way in, and it's not. I can force the lever down more  and hold with a bungee, but that's not how I want it to operate..anymore. There is some pad there, but around 1/8". I might be able to add washers to the spring to gain more tension. What you guys think?deckadjustment.jpg

Edited by GilsonRider, October 16, 2016 - 05:41 PM.

#2 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• 12 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 07:47 PM

Just thinking, when the attachment lever is in the 'on" position, should the brake be rubbing on the pulley? I wouldn't think so, but I don't know how the brake should be functioning in that position.I know in the "off" position, it should be snug and stop the blades in 5-7 seconds according to the manual. 

I'm thinking of removing the brake adjusting rod later this week and welding a washer on the rod between the over-center bracket and the brake pad bracket. I'm theorizing this will help assist the brake adj rod to push the brake off when the mower lever is in the 'on" position. Otherwise, the when the mower lever is in the "on" position, the rod just pushes right through the bracket leaving the brake pad rub against the pulley. 

I found a replacement brake assembly on ebay tonight for $45. Not sure if that is a good price or not. There is an option to make an offer, but don't what to offer. It's the pad assembly, doesn't include the rod or hardware. 

#3 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• 12 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 05:06 PM

After more closely looking at the linkages it looked I had the blade brake adjusted to tight. The over center worked fine to lock in the "on" position but the brake didn't change much when selecting "off". I loosened up the blade brake nut back to about where it was when I started this mess and it helped. It still doesn't stop in 5-7 seconds, but slight pressure on the attachment handle stops the blades in 5-7 seconds. I think if I bought a new brake for it then it would work fine. Just guessing.