#61 mac102004 OFFLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 286 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 09:57 AM

Sometimes it seems like we don't support each other. Not long ago I bought a new in the box (nos) cast iron Tecumseh short block oh160. My first thought was to put it in here to try to sell it. I got 1 response from a member, he knew what I payed for it (15.00. ). He said he would give me 25 for it as I remember. It would be ok for me to make a few bucks he said. Now I know for a fact no one here would sell a new oh160 short block for that.ok so I got it, didn't have a use for it, didn't want it sitting around, so I stuck it on everyone's favorite site ... eBay. Had it sold within hours, at over 500.00. I am not bragging , just saying, I gave everybody a shot at it and nothing happened. Maybe no one could use it, I don't know but it fits in this discussion some where.

I have some Massey GT related items I bought from eBay I doubt many people here would pay the kind of money I did for them, unless you find the right buyer. Several sets of hub caps around the $400-600 range. Vintage banners, posters, books etc. 99% of these vintage/rare/hard to find things are found on eBay if your always watching, I never bother to look on the tractor forums for it. With the sales audience that eBay has prices are bound to be fairly high in comparison.

• Xrperry said thank you

#62 GTpicker01 OFFLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 42575
  • 652 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 11:37 AM

I couldn't agree more with what most of you guys are saying. I bought my first GT when I was 12 and things have changed a lot since then. Some have been great improvements such as this site where we can all get together as collectors and help each other with problems that we may be facing both tractor related and on a personal level. Great friendships have been forged because of this site and may others like it. 

I completely agree with with the discussion on high prices on tires especially! To outfit a tractor with new tires the whole way around a lot of the time costs more that the actual tractor. I have actually started stockpiling used tires that i pick up at auctions or garage sales, even if i don't need them, for future use. If I need parts ebay is a last resort for me. I usually come to our vendors on this page or other GT related forums for my parts and i get treated well so i can't complain about that.

With that being said if I have the money i don't mind paying up for a good machine. Not all of my tractors were cheap in my opinion and I am very conscious about not ripping somebody off. The last tractor I bought though really left a bad taste in my mouth though as to what kind of sellers are out there these days. I bought a wheel horse 753 with hydraulic lift and paid a darn good price for it because he told me it ran perfect! I was a fool and trusted the seller and paid before i saw the machine. i got jipped big time. The steering broke before I got 20 feet away from the spot i picked it up at, ran like crap, and I still have issues with it, but that is on me because i just wanted it that bad and made a bad decision. That being said I have paid up for others as well. I paid up for a Case 220 with deck, blade, and integral hitch from the older gentleman who bought it new and had an incredible service record on it and had all the original literature for it. I've also gotten my fair share if deals too such as my cub 102 that i mow with weekly for $250 (good deal to me anyway). Got a running wheel horse 855 for $60 and traded work for a sears tractor. I've gotten tractors in all kinds of situations!

I used to collect literature on my tractors but that market has gotten way too crazy as I haven't bought any literature for quite a few years. it is nice to have that stuff to reference what was available for your tractors back in the day! it has been my observation that specialty items such as hub caps, literature, cabs, and certain attachments and options have always been too pricey for me.

I know that there a goofs our there that ask stupid prices that make me scratch my head, but I just keep scrolling past those and don't let it upset me. I know that there are those that have a lot more money than me that think they need to have everything for themselves or those that are only worry about making as much money as possible off a tractor and don't care who they have to step on to do it. This is world we live in. All that I try to do is to be the best person I can within the hobby and try to set a good example for others.

I think that would be the best thing for all of us to do is just not let the crazy people get us down and just keep trying to help each other out. There are still deals out there to be found, we just have to work a little harder to find them! (This is me trying to stay positive lol)

• Bmerf, TomLGT195, Leonard VanCamp and 5 others have said thanks

#63 Xrperry OFFLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 835 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 01:50 PM

on the subject of tires, i also have a stash of tires. they are starting to cost as much as a car tire.

• WHdbJD, GTpicker01 and Allis Chalmers Tractors have said thanks

#64 apc237 OFFLINE  

apc237
  • Member No: 82738
  • 7 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 02:15 PM

agree price is way to high these days, but if you wait you can still find a good diamond in the rough. the hard part is waiting lol

• Xrperry said thank you

#65 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 419 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 08:07 AM

on the subject of tires, i also have a stash of tires. they are starting to cost as much as a car tire.

Not quite.

972.00 dollars for a set of load range E, 235/85/R16 BFgoodrich A/Ts for my 97 F250. I about poo.

I go by the mantra if it holds air for more then 12 hours, its a good tire
  • Gtractor and toppop52 have said thanks

#66 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,589 Thanks
  • 4,296 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 08:29 AM

Not quite.

972.00 dollars for a set of load range E, 235/85/R16 BFgoodrich A/Ts for my 97 F250. I about poo.

I go by the mantra if it holds air for more then 12 hours, its a good tire

Damn, you forgot your change! :D   Just kidding.

Edited by toppop52, October 21, 2016 - 08:29 AM.

• DZG said thank you

#67 Xrperry OFFLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 835 Thanks
  • 654 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 09:23 AM

yea dzg,its not like you will pile it up because of a high speed blow out.lol. the tread pattern on mine dont match, but there is tread,they hold the rim off the ground

• Merle013 said thank you

#68 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,339 Thanks
  • 4,579 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 10:14 AM

If you need new tires, your truck is "totaled"  Tire repair/replacement could exceed the value of the vehicle.  :(

#69 Merle013 ONLINE  

Merle013

If I can't do it slow then it's not going to get done.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 74432
  • 244 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 11:30 AM

If I don't have to air my tires up more than once a week then I run them. Got one I can put my finger between the liners but it still holds air :thumbs:

#70 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 419 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 02:49 PM

yea dzg,its not like you will pile it up because of a high speed blow out.lol. the tread pattern on mine dont match, but there is tread,they hold the rim off the ground

My trucks see very little expressway driving. Big blocks like the fuel at 70 (espicially the 77 with no overdrive :))

I usually replace once cords show. Knock on wood never had one blow yet.

Oddly enough, the only tire ive ever blew out was on a lawn mower...it was pretty shot and i was in a hurry and musta overinflated it. Hit a rut and BOOM

#71 Merle013 ONLINE  

Merle013

If I can't do it slow then it's not going to get done.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 74432
  • 244 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 02:55 PM

Blew a trailer tire bringing my JD112 home. Running about 60 and no drama what so ever. Just vibrated real bad.

• Tecumseh power said thank you

#72 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,885 Thanks
  • 2,506 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 05:42 PM

yeah. like the guy about an hour northwest of me with the Ariens "Grand Sierra" (that is way older than that) with no engine that won't budge from a $500 "Demand" price--- I call it that, because he will not budge from that number. This tractor has been continually on Craigslist for over a year, shown on a dilapidated trailer partly covered with a blue tarp  saying from the ad (something like) "throw any Kohler K series on and have a good tractor"

Bad part being, there is a similar forum to this one on which I do not belong to, but occasionally lurk, where this guy bragged just before the CL ad appeared,  how he had gotten this machine for free and was trying to get the engine from the guy that he got the machine from.  Idiots like that also do this hobby no favors either. He wants calls only has no craigslist mail reply listed.

He also has a '73 or 74 Ariens on there that looks good, supposed to run and mow that he wants something like $1300 for, in another ad

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#73 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,885 Thanks
  • 2,013 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 05:57 PM

I can still buy Carlisle 23-10.50-12 ags at my local TSC for $100/tire.

#74 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 382 Thanks
  • 351 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 06:48 PM

Our TSC has always sold Hi-Runs (imports) in the 7 or so years they've been here.

#75 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,885 Thanks
  • 2,013 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 08:13 PM

Well, I've read through all of the posts, and so far, everyone is only complaining about the recent high prices of tractors. Well, here is something that none of you have touched on, and that is tire prices. I went tire searching the other night, and just couldn't believe how much pricing has gone up. I won't mention any particular companies, however the main company that I usually deal with, has raised prices considerably. I don't like the China made tires, as they dry rot over the course of two to three years, so I was primarily looking to buy Carlisle brand tires. For a set of rear 23x10.50-12 bar tread tires, and a set of 16x6.50-8 multi rib tires, it would cost me well over $350.00 and that's not including shipping. I don't think that I have given that much for a tractor, let along a set of tires! How are we supposed to keep our equipment running if we can't afford to buy tires for them to run on? 

I'll probably step on some toes here, but I think it needs to be said. There is a well known reproduction company that is currently working with one of the bigger farm equipment manufacturers, and I've noticed that their pricing has skyrocketed the past two years. Why? Just because the demand is there? Wouldn't you want to sell your items for less so that you can keep the products moving, rather than keep the product on the shelf due to nobody being able to afford your prices? I just don't get it sometimes. Just getting the necessities will cost you a small fortune! What's up with that?

Just because the demand for product is high, doesn't mean you drive up your pricing. All you are doing is turning away business and ruining the enjoyment for all of us collectors or hobbyists. When I got into this hobby back in 1989, all of the collectors were willing to help each other out. If you have something I want or need, and I have something you want or need, we traded or bartered. The deal was ended with a hand shake and a smile. Even with public auctions, if two or three guys were interested in the same tractor or attachment, they all talked it over and seemed to come to an agreement as to which one of them needed the item the most. Or, if there were numerous items at the sale that each of them were interested in, they would come to an agreement that they would split the items so each of them would go home with something they wanted, and they wouldn't bid against each other driving up the sale.

No days however, it seems as though it's getting to the point that each collector is only interested in looking out for themselves. There doesn't seem to be much trading or bartering anymore, or at least not as much as there used to be. Collectors want what they want, but they don't want to give anything up in order to get it. I stopped going to local auctions, as guys there have attitudes and things have changes drastically. There's no more friendly conversation between two or three bidding collectors anymore. If you're interested in something, and another collector wants the same thing, he who has the most money wins! Even if one collector can't afford to pay more than $100.00 on something, he will deliberately bid up the price just because he thinks the other guy deserves it or refuses to let the other guy get it for almost nothing. That's just wrong in my book, and frankly it's those types of people that just take the enjoyment out of the hobby for me. So I don't go anymore. 

I'm really glad my collection is complete and I don't have to go through what some of you newer collectors are experiencing. I'd like to see the next generation getting involved with these old machines, however with the prices being what they are now days, people just can't afford to get started and I find that really sad.  :(

I go to 3or4 auctions a year besides the 6 consignment sales I always attend, it's not as bad here, most of us still work with each other, there are a few that feel the need to run all over everybody.  Sadly some of the older bidders  do spread some misinformation to the younger attendees, they have tried it on me(I'm 26), and a buddy(16) thinking we don't no what we are doing, even to the point where one guy nearly attacked the previously mentioned buddy because the auctioneer passed an item that the guy one down the line to him and my buddy accidently dropped it (he made it very clear that he didn't like the younger people being there). 

• johndeereelfman and Tecumseh power have said thanks