#16 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 10:28 AM

Well, I just started fixing to get the bigger, better tractor that I could not buy new. Was OK working on them, long as could still bring back to workable.  Just like in the car hobbie, along comes guys with REAL big money and get all the good ones, make them better than when they were new and sell for big money.  They wanted to make money and had abililty to pay others to do much of work and have the big shops and so on. Barret Auction houses selling cars for Thousands and Millions is rediculous to me, but that is how it is anymore on cars. Maybe GT's will be similar or started that way now?  Ebay has made things more easily obtained and way to find hard to get items, have set the prices, because people PAY that price, just be cause it is easier than hunting around for long time. Generations make diff too. Steam tractors were the thing awhile, now too old and big for modern homes, then reg tractors were big, and now those are being used up and again one needs room and knowledge to work on them.  Hard to get the younger generations to be interested, they like Electronic things, not mechanical. Some work on them, easy to fit in your small house and parts all over if you know how to hack the stuff together.  And, throw-away society, buy new, junk the old.  Plus making the new in cheapie materials that wear out in few years, not lasting as old stuff does. Each generation has the same line to their younger ones....."They Don't make them Like they used to".     Always been that way, always will be.

• Bolens 1000, hamman, WHdbJD and 6 others have said thanks

#17 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 11:22 AM

The sad thing is that these will be the "good old days" in ten years. My goal for the past 11 years is to have a set of atleast three tractors that can do all that I need for the yard. I've tried many different models and brands and still can't decide but atleast I'm collecting up all of the attachments. Some days I'll weed out the ones that I don't want. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman, MGP59DB, Xrperry and 1 other said thanks

#18 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 352 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 11:42 AM

I belong to metal lath forums. For the older, common, consumer, metal lathes. If they come up for sale cheep there are several pepole out there that will buy them and part them out for profit. I suppose tractors will go the same way. Parts ship cheeper.  Don

• hamman, Leonard VanCamp, chieffan and 3 others have said thanks

#19 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,629 Thanks
  • 3,920 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 12:32 PM

Happens with everything.   Internet and TV shows have made this artificial swing in the market [perceived value] more exaggerated than in previous times.  Craigslist is chock-full of tractors still sitting on trailers, purchased that day for resale and profit, with crazy high prices. 

I don't bite.  I know its a free market economy but if they didn't want the tractor they should have left it for someone that did. 

I have a job to make the money needed to survive/live/play.  To me tractors are a hobby. 

Take the fun from this hobby and I'll move on to something else.

• Bolens 1000, hamman, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#20 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,518 Thanks
  • 3,393 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 12:41 PM

The classic car market is in a similar place, but it's a shrinking market that demands high quality, since there are fewer classics every year, prices go up. It costs $40k to build a clone Z28, real one costs $75k if it's not too rare. Even though us old guys are dying out of the market, the big money, multi car collector is still driving up prices. I bought my first '67 Impala SS for $5500, did some minor body work, fresh red paint, replaced all the wear parts, rechromed some stuff, resealed the 327 and had $12000 in it. Eventually replaced the engine and tranny with an LT1/4l60e combo. Sold the car five years later for $14000, sold the engine and powerglide for another $1500. Probably didn't make any money, but it shows how much the market changed in five years. That same car done that way would have brought $10k or less five years before.
Tractors are doing the same, they're becoming fewer thus more expensive. Too many have been left behind the barn to fix up someday, or whatever.
  • hamman, Xrperry and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#21 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 12:58 PM

Gtractor, you must be looking at a different CL than I am.  The vast majority of the "tractors" are lawn mowers and the later models.  Get into the Midwest area of Omaha, Des Moines, Lincoln, Sioux City, St Joe, etc and other listings in the Midwest.  Do a search for Bolens and see what turns up.  Darn little and those that do are the newer ones.   Supply and demand plays a part too.  I watch this area about twice a week or more in search for true Bolens.  Not very many and some times none shows up so CL is not chock full of tractors.   Lawn mowers maybe but depends on what you call chock full.  I just searched the whole area I mentioned above and found 3 Bolens.  CC has a few more but again, newer stuff that is wore out after the first season and lawn tractors, not GT's.  That is why the prices are high in this area.  Why they are high out East where they are all over the places I have no idea.   There, my rant is over for what ever it is worth.

• Gtractor, hamman, Xrperry and 1 other said thanks

#22 Merle013 OFFLINE  

Merle013
  • Member No: 74432
  • 125 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 03:13 PM

Here in east TN. CL is loaded with late model lawn mowers. They practically give them away in late fall to early Spring then all of them are suddenly worth 400 to 500. Real GTs are frequent and very few know what they are worth. Unless you say "vintage". Then everyone knows it has to be expensive. I have only been in the hobby a couple of years now and I hope I do not have to find another hobby. My wife and I also go to estate sales. I have seen a few of the GTs at auction on Saturday or Friday and then see it again on Monday (still on the trailer) advertised on CL. Another guy bought 5 restored GTs/Riding mowers on Saturday for 500 and Monday advertised them for 500 each or 2000 for all. With so many people trying to get rich off of a hobby I am afraid it will get too expensive for someone who is on limited income. From what I have seen most of the collectors are not rolling in money and like me are trying to have fun and enjoy a hobby. Well I'm done ranting. Who's next?

• Gtractor, hamman, Leonard VanCamp and 3 others have said thanks

#23 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 03:25 PM

NOT MINE

,but its been for sale a while, those are Canadian pesos!

Date Listed 31-Aug-16 Price
$5,500.00
Address Rainy Lake, ON P0W1C0

View map   For Sale By Owner  
1972 simplicity 3415H lawn tractor, 18 hp. Comes with snowblower ,tiller,42" lawnmower and 42" sickle bar. Asking $5500.00 or OBO. Devlin,On
Visits: 351

Edited by Jazz, October 16, 2016 - 03:59 PM.

• Gtractor, hamman and Xrperry have said thanks

#24 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 03:37 PM

Here in east TN. CL is loaded with late model lawn mowers. They practically give them away in late fall to early Spring then all of them are suddenly worth 400 to 500. Real GTs are frequent and very few know what they are worth. Unless you say "vintage". Then everyone knows it has to be expensive. I have only been in the hobby a couple of years now and I hope I do not have to find another hobby. My wife and I also go to estate sales. I have seen a few of the GTs at auction on Saturday or Friday and then see it again on Monday (still on the trailer) advertised on CL. Another guy bought 5 restored GTs/Riding mowers on Saturday for 500 and Monday advertised them for 500 each or 2000 for all. With so many people trying to get rich off of a hobby I am afraid it will get too expensive for someone who is on limited income. From what I have seen most of the collectors are not rolling in money and like me are trying to have fun and enjoy a hobby. Well I'm done ranting. Who's next?

Agree I enjoy this hobby but I am not rich and hope to stay in it awhile. But will see if I am able to
  • hamman, Xrperry and Merle013 have said thanks

#25 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,310 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 03:42 PM

Just my .02 cents here, all points till this point are valid, but I also believe anyone that is remotely involved in "vintage" GT$ are included in the price drive as well.

Right now the hobby is hot, and prices are also driven by demand. If you want it, and someone has it, your gonna pay for it, period.

I have made money on them parting out stuff I didn't need sure, but, I do know how many times I have hit the zero button on price when selling.

Now, not to play a double edge sword here, but when I make my purchases, be it too much, or dirt cheap, I personally have made an investment in a hobby that I like. If the market goes to hell before Im done, so be it, if it holds, thats even better. Still ain't a lawnmower.
Chances are, the demand ain't goin anywhere tho!!!

That one day that I am ready to clear out, I know 4 a fact, that I can get my money back on what I own, only because GT's have been a fairly good investment. Plus, add the fact that you can enjoy them most times as they are. Nobody pays for a labor of love.....thats a loss, but try driving a gold bar around the yard!! Just sayin;)

Edited by stiemmy, October 16, 2016 - 03:45 PM.

• Bolens 1000, hamman, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#26 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 03:49 PM

I certainly do not see the hobby diminishing or going away though because people have been saying it will be dead in 10 years since forums started taking off in the 90's and we are all still here, mostly with more members and collectors than 20+ years ago it seems.

• Gtractor, hamman, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#27 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 05:04 PM

Yeah, I agree....I saw a Wheel Horse Lawn Ranger for sale this weekend.

Not the original engine, and a few other problems but everything looked like it was there.

Good machine for $150....problem is the guy wanted $600!

• boyscout862, Leonard VanCamp and Xrperry have said thanks

#28 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 05:18 PM

I don't think it will go away or diminish as long as there are collectors or hobbyists that are willing to sell trade barter the GTs they have. What's sad is that in 25 - 30 years there will be no old ones to collect as they just don't make GTs anymore like we have. Most of the new GTs ( if you can call them GTs) are of the throwaway variety. Not knocking the products just stating what I see. I'm interested in a Husqvarna GT that has  B&S engine which I am leery of. It is new and it is a 2014 model. Store wants $ 2800 for it with a deck only. It is capable of ground engaging attachments but not a tiller or garden plow. I can probably get it cheaper and I do need a newer mower but I'm not sure it's worth that much to me. I guess what I am saying is these are still considered use and loose.   Just my 2 cents worth.

Roger

• Xrperry said thank you

#29 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 352 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 06:31 PM

just for the hell of it lets see something.

that sears 16 twin in my pic was sold this summer. it was in good shape and ran great. it had a mower deck.i sold it for 700.00, the guy drove 3 hrs to get here and was tickled as a pig in poop to get it.my bolens g-9 same condition with deck, 425.00, the guy was a collector and lived in southern idaho, had to have someone up here pick it up for him.did any of you guys sell the same tractors and what did they bring??

up here people would rather spend their money on something newer that wont outlast the old goodies.there is a reason the old ones are still around, they last forever if you take care of them. i know e-bay and american pickers dont help but maybe a small part it where you are at

Don't know where "up here" is but I bought a Sears 6/18 non runner with snow blower just outside of Spokane for 50$. Saw another in Spokane in much worse shape, guy wanted 600$. Don

• Xrperry said thank you

#30 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 282 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 06:37 PM

northwest