75 replies to this topic

#1 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 767 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 07:35 AM

Maybe it is just me or maybe you guys have noticed it also. The sky high prices of tractors now. And it isn't just the good restored ones it is the ones guys drag out of the woods and fields and need major restoration just to get in working order for hundreds of dollars. They are in no way even close to worth what the price is. Is this from people seeing used parts on ebay that are already over priced and are usually sitting on ebay for a year or more for the outrageous prices they are asking. Then they think their stuff must be worth that too? Maybe it's just me but it seems prices for tractors that should be 75 to 100 dollars tops. For the condition they are in . Trying to be sold for several hundred? Is the same thing going to happen to our hobby that happened to the classic car hobby? Turn into something only the rich can do? Sorry for the rant just had to get it off my chest . Don't get me wrong you can still find good deals if you look hard enough. All my suburbans and customs I have I haven't paid more than 200 dollars for and most were under 100. They all needed repaired when I got them but that's what I enjoy. Fixing them. But I see so many ,that people want big $ for that need repaired. For the asking price of a fully restored unit. Guess I'll have to start collecting MTD push mowers and weed eaters. My opinion is ebay ruined the hobby

Edited by Tecumseh power, October 16, 2016 - 07:37 AM.

• jhn9840, hamman, KennyP and 11 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 07:43 AM

I'll have to agree with all that! Things are just to pricey for me to buy anymore. Then try to sell and they want to lowball you!

• hamman, tractorgarden, boyscout862 and 6 others have said thanks

#3 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 767 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 07:51 AM

Right kenny I have a few restored custom 10s I was asking 350 for with a deck and people didn't want to pay but I see heap of scrap ones with no attachments for 400 or 500 it's crazy
  • hamman, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 08:10 AM

I see several things happening at the same time. EPAY/Am. Pickers/Am. Restortations created the illusion that there was a huge value in old tractors. A number of people with no knowledge nor experience have jumped in and want you to give them treasures so that they can sell them at solid gold prices. Like much of our country's economy, its a con job. Very few of the tractors sell for the high prices. There are alot more unemployed and stuggling than the government admitts.

Last year there was a Case 222 for sale without a price. It was damaged and needed work. He wanted $450 because someone told him it was worth that. We had a nice talk but I told him that it wasn't worth that much to me and if he changed his mind to call me. A couple of weeks later he called, told me that he found that it wasn't worth much and that he wanted it out of his garage. I came to look at it. The steering wheel was broken and the seat and its mount were bent badly. He had hit it with his bucket loader. The engine started right up and ran very nice. I offered $200 and he accepted. I bought a steering wheel and brake band from Joe's and stole the seat from one of my other tractors. The bad mower deck turned out to be just the idler pulley. So, $200 into it and I have a great Case 222 with mower deck.

I see prices coming down on the restored tractors. Guys that have restored GTs are having to sell them for the needed money. In many cases they can't fix them themselves and the few shops that are around, don't want to touch them or are very expensive. I still come across cheap GTs. This year I bought a CC105 with plow, wheelweights, and hydraulic lift for $25, a Case 220 with sleeve hitch for $50(it was running), a NOS Wisconsin TRA12D for $275, a WH C160 with like new deck for free and a 4 kw generator for free. I've passed on alot more. The one that got away, because my car was broke down, was a Wheel Horse C160 with FEL for $600.

When life around you is in turmoil, stick with what you know is right. Remember, the majority is usually wrong. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, October 16, 2016 - 01:51 PM.

• hamman, sacsr, WNYTractorTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 767 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 08:23 AM

I see several things happening at the same time. EPAY/Am. Pickers/Am. Restortations created the illusion that there was a huge value in old tractors. A number of people with no knowledge noe experience have jumped in and want you to give them treasures so that they can sell them at solid gold prices. Like much of our country's economy, its a con job. Very few of the tractors sell for the high prices. There are alot more unemployed and stuggling than the government admitts.Last year there was a Case 222 for sale without a price. It was damaged and needed work. He wanted $450 because someone told him it was worth that. We had a nice talk but I told him that it wasn't worth that much to me and if he changed his mind to call me. A couple of weeks later he called, told me that he found that it wasn't worth much and that he wanted it out of his garage. I came to look at it. The steering wheel was broken and the seat and its mount were bent badly. He had hit it with his bucket loader. The engine started right up and ran very nice. I offered $200 and he accepted. I bought a steering wheel and brake band from Joe's and stole the seat from one of my other tractors. The bad mower deck turned out to be just the idler pulley. So, $200 into it and I have a great Case 222 with mower deck.I see prices coming down on the restored tractors. Guys that have restored GTs are having to sell them for the needed money. In many cases they can't fix them themselves and the few shops that are around, don't want to touch them or are very expensive. I still come across cheap GTs. This year I bought a CC105 with plow, wheelweights, and hydraulic lift for $25, a Case 220 with sleeve hitch for $50(it was running), a NOS Wisconsin TRA12D for $275, a WH C160 with like new deck for free and a 4 kw generator for free. I've passed on alot more. The one that got away, because my car was broke down, was a Wheel Horse C160 with FEL for $600.When life around you is in turmoil, stick with what you know is right. Remember, the majority is usually wrong. Good Luck, Rick

I agree with everything you said 100%. The prices are high because people that don't know anything. "Know what they have". And you are correct they do not sell. I find the best deals not online. I find them when I'm driving around and see a tractor in someone's back yard and stop and ask them if they want to get rid of it.
  • boyscout862, dodge trucker, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 08:31 AM

I have seen a lot of that here in Northern Micigan. It doesn't have to be " old, antique or vintage either. Saw a 2008Troybilt pony in the paper the other day for $800.00 !  Sad but it's getting harder and harder to find old machines to fix up to use at the prices people are wanting. Homelite stuff is getting really hard to come by. Saw a rear lift by Homelite the other day listed for $ 200.00, mind you it was just the square (or rectangle) pivot receiver, nothing else and it was rusty. Make the one I have worth about $ 800.00 I guess. I have stopped looking anymore for things to buy. Partly because of the prices and partly because I don't have the time and space for more. Just sad to see that the hobby is wearing down by being priced out of participation.                                                                      Roger

• Bmerf, chieffan, Xrperry and 1 other said thanks

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 08:37 AM

IMO it all came down to years and years of "Whats it worth" posts on these forums ..........

One guy says its worth "X" so the guy sells it for "XX" , snow ball kept rolling .

The professional scrappers in every town buying up tractors dosent help much either.

• hamman, johndeereelfman, boyscout862 and 7 others have said thanks

#8 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 265 Thanks
  • 310 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 08:44 AM

i think part of it is where you are at. in the midwest, east it seems there are more gt's than over here in the west.i have found a few good buys here but most are like this https://spokane.crai...5792386587.html
https://spokane.crai...5812065254.html

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0979.PNG

• Alc, GTpicker01 and chieffan have said thanks

#9 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • 265 Thanks
  • 310 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 08:59 AM

just for the hell of it lets see something.

that sears 16 twin in my pic was sold this summer. it was in good shape and ran great. it had a mower deck.i sold it for 700.00, the guy drove 3 hrs to get here and was tickled as a pig in poop to get it.my bolens g-9 same condition with deck, 425.00, the guy was a collector and lived in southern idaho, had to have someone up here pick it up for him.did any of you guys sell the same tractors and what did they bring??

up here people would rather spend their money on something newer that wont outlast the old goodies.there is a reason the old ones are still around, they last forever if you take care of them. i know e-bay and american pickers dont help but maybe a small part it where you are at

Edited by Xrperry, October 16, 2016 - 09:00 AM.

• hamman, boyscout862, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#10 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • 265 Thanks
  • 310 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 09:04 AM

now this is about right..https://spokane.crai...5784948568.html

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0980.PNG

• hamman, Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#11 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,210 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 09:04 AM

Oh don't get me started.... 

• Bolens 1000, hamman, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#12 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 767 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 09:15 AM

just for the hell of it lets see something.
that sears 16 twin in my pic was sold this summer. it was in good shape and ran great. it had a mower deck.i sold it for 700.00, the guy drove 3 hrs to get here and was tickled as a pig in poop to get it.my bolens g-9 same condition with deck, 425.00, the guy was a collector and lived in southern idaho, had to have someone up here pick it up for him.did any of you guys sell the same tractors and what did they bring??
up here people would rather spend their money on something newer that wont outlast the old goodies.there is a reason the old ones are still around, they last forever if you take care of them. i know e-bay and american pickers dont help but maybe a small part it where you are at

Im in Pennsylvania and you can find just about anything you want any day of the week that's the thing. It's still out of hand here .
  • Bolens 1000, hamman, GTpicker01 and 2 others have said thanks

#13 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • 265 Thanks
  • 310 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 09:25 AM

the way i look at it is they can keep the over priced gt's. they will sit and rot into the ground, then they can just haul whats left to the scrap metal yard for 3 dollars. then they can think back and remember they could have sold it for 100.00 sad but what else can you do.

Edited by Xrperry, October 16, 2016 - 09:27 AM.

• hamman, Cat385B, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#14 Xrperry ONLINE  

Xrperry
  • 265 Thanks
  • 310 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 09:35 AM

greenacres might be the place to be ... but no place to buy a riding mower.lmao

https://spokane.crai...5830018657.html

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0981.PNG

• hamman and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#15 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 995 Thanks
  • 508 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 10:09 AM

I haven't been doing this for too long , but we have had many discussions about this very thing .

The consensus is that Antiques Road Show made everyone look into their attic with different eye's .

Don't sell anything until you have looked it up on the internet and know a value.

Then you have the Pickers show - and they give people the idea that everything you buy must have some "Meat on the Bone" (LOL one of our favorite jokes)

"I'm sorry Sir , but I cannot pay the much for it , I have to ship it " So now everyone is a Picker and feel they should only pay half of what it is worth in order to get a good deal and make a profit. Looking for  'The guy at the End of the Rainbow'

A hobbiest wants to find an old forgotten thing and get it a price that allows him to put some time and money into it to see it back in its glory , a seller wants to get the price of something in its glory . How many times have you read in a advert " Would be worth a lot of money if restored" They have no idea how much time and work and $ goes into that .

in short - they are all a bunch of greedy MFers  :D

Edited by MGP59DB, October 16, 2016 - 10:11 AM.

• Bolens 1000, Cat385B, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks