- - - - -

removing wheels

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

• Member No: 84822
  • 7 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 15, 2016 - 01:30 PM

I need to remove the front & rear wheels from the ST120 & put them on the 120. There are weights on one of them. I've never removed wheels from a tractor before, how do I best do this?

Apologies for such a basic question but I really have no idea and don't want to damage anything.

Edited by KA1J, October 15, 2016 - 01:30 PM.

#2 gopher OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2755
  • 562 Thanks
  • 619 posts

Posted October 15, 2016 - 02:25 PM

I can not believe no one has helped you on this. I'm sure your referring to jack placement. I have no Bolens lord knows there is enough of them on this site. So if your needing jack placement one of members will get with you on it for sure. Swell bunch the bolens guys help you out if they can.

• KA1J said thank you

#3 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

• Member No: 48806
  • 899 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted October 15, 2016 - 04:13 PM

The wheels are simply held on by a snap ring. All you need is a good set of snap ring pliers. The front wheels should slide right off easily. Just remove the dust cover and the snap ring and washer. The rear wheels are usually rusted in place to the axle shaft. Lots of PB blaster or Kroil and patience will likely be needed for the rear wheels. Basically the same as the front, remove the plastic dust cover, the snap ring and washer. The rear wheels are keyed to the axle shaft. The rear wheels can sometimes be difficult to break free.
  • Bolens 1000, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 3 others have said thanks

#4 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 872 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted October 15, 2016 - 05:53 PM

Don't hit them with a hammer you can bust the tranny
  • gopher and KA1J have said thanks

#5 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,280 Thanks
  • 1,703 posts

Posted October 15, 2016 - 06:37 PM

As ClassicBolens stated,the rears can be a real pain to get off,I have had a few of these for parts tractors
  • KA1J said thank you

• Member No: 84822
  • 7 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 15, 2016 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. It looked clear that the covers had to come off but I tried pulling on them and they were loose but sure didn't want to release. Before prying them out with a screwdriver, I thought I'd ask first. If I can't use a hammer to get the rear wheels loose and I can't use heat of course, I'll use the Kroil as I have plenty but I'm wondering if there is any worthwhile trick to getting those rear wheels off?

The ST110 has weights on them and maybe I need to remove them first? It would be much easier to remove them after the wheel is off.

I need to check the brake pucks also, it stops but it glides to a stop, doesn't grip well. Looks like removing the left rear wheel first, would make it easier to access so I need to get this done.

Thanks again for the replies, they help.

Edited by KA1J, October 15, 2016 - 09:47 PM.

#7 wurzel OFFLINE  

• Member No: 78672
  • 111 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 05:39 AM

the weights have 2 j bolts with nuts at the back of the wheel if you take them off first it will make wheel removal easier

• KA1J said thank you