Since 1997 I've been mowing with a 1996 Huskee 18H.P. 46" . I refurbished it a couple times and even rebadged it as a RICKEDY.
This last spring I decided to finally replace it with something better.
The local mower shop had a customer who managed to break the rear housing on an old MTD and he insisted that it be repaired. It was his favorite and he wanted it fixed no matter what. The replacement unit is no longer available and cost over $900 when it was available. During a visit to the shop I checked out the mower and commented that I had a similar unit at home. We made a deal for my transaxle that was as much as what I was going to sell the entire mower for. When I delivered the transaxle I also gave the customer my mower deck for spare parts. I ended up keeping the engine, wheels and tires.
I started using my Elec-Trak and a J.D. 70 to mow with, while looking for another mower.
On another trip to the mower shop, (They have .50 cent coffee) they set me up with a Dyna-Mark mower that needed an engine. The engine from the Huskee was a perfect fit, and I had no money in it. Three days later it was sold for a nice profit.
On another coffee run I see that they have a Simplicity 16LTH in the shop. It's got mismatched rear tires of which one is flat. The owner isn't wanting to buy new tires and is considering selling the mower. It needs 20-10-10 tires and I have a set already mounted on rims that will fit the Simplicity. I offer them up for sale, or I would buy the mower. I ended up paying less for the Simplicity than what I made from the Huskee and the Dyna-Mark.
The Simplicity runs pretty good and I really like the way it mows. I really like the adjustment on the deck height. It took a couple months, but I now have a decent mower and extra money in my pocket.. Good thing too, because I just sold the J.D. 70 yesterday. Rick