• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 30, 2011 - 08:30 PM

im slowly smahed the tap out into little bits, im thinking if i can get a short head bolt, like 3/8" of thread if that would work.

#17 jupiter OFFLINE  

jupiter

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1880
  • 1 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 05:05 AM

I wouldnt trust only having 3/8in of the thread holding for a head bolt. Heli-coil it. I did a thrust bearing cap on a 350 Chevy that never let loose in over 20yrs. Raced it for the first 3yrs of its life. Then used it in a daily driver until I sold it with the car.

#18 Bobo OFFLINE  

Bobo

• Contributor
  • Member No: 159
  • 8 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 12:14 PM

Great to hear you got it fired. Yes, two wrongs dont make a right. Every Bolens I bought and had shipped from the usa was sold as no issues. Everyone had serious issues but I would not pass it on to another Bolens fan. Feel good about making it right and move on with a smile. Heli is the way to go.

#19 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 01, 2011 - 06:33 AM

explain the heli coil? plz =)))

#20 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 01, 2011 - 06:38 AM

idk how a heli coil is gonna do squat with some tap still stuck in there. think a diamond tipped dremel cutter tool can dig into a tap?

#21 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 07:12 AM

im slowly smahed the tap out into little bits, im thinking if i can get a short head bolt, like 3/8" of thread if that would work.

explain the heli coil? plz =)))

idk how a heli coil is gonna do squat with some tap still stuck in there. think a diamond tipped dremel cutter tool can dig into a tap?

I think the tap is out, just no threads left and an oversized hole to deal with.

#22 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 01, 2011 - 06:42 PM

im getting the tap out, using an extractor bit drilling slow and constantly having someone spray the bit so i dont have to stop except for once every minute or so. its looking good, if i see a major crack ill take a pointed tap and hit it dead in the center of the crack, i feel like theres some hope.