- - - - -

Kohler KT19 Rebuild

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

• Member No: 61844
  • 37 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 07:18 PM

Just wondering who has done the rebuild to make the KT19 oiling system pressurized? The one I just picked up had it done 8yrs. ago when they did the rebuild. The engine sounds nice and tight, starts right up no issues. I'm surprised by how quiet it sounds. I would have thought it would be louder than what it is. Meaning I had a Toro/Wheel Horse 518XI. That Kohler was loud and it was a 1996 Model. The Ariens is an 86 model. Technology and EPA would have made the 96 model quieter and more efficient. Well, I can say that so for the decibels are lower on the Ariens than the Toro. 

Also - question on the rear end. what sounds like metal on metal making "wind chime" sounds. There seems to be no issue with the transmission. Has no shutter when slowing down. Does not slip under load. Is it something in the disc brakes that is making the noise?

#2 shorty OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,282 Thanks
  • 3,708 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 05:06 AM

There are so many possibilities on what is making that noise. Brakes, driveshaft. Does it change it's tune at different speeds or rpm?
For myself, I go a little nuts trying to figure out an unknown sound. I had heard a different sound and thought I would run it a bit farther to see what it might be, then stop and see if I can see anything wrong. I should have stopped right away because I went about 5' and the driveshaft broke off and tried to gut itself.