• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 06:08 PM

Sons girlfriend, has a friend, who had a tree blown down on last weekend storm. She asked if we could have it. Asked me if we wanted it, I said , sure, before knowing what I was getting into. But was not bad, I like doing tree work, if it's on the ground were I can git at it. So mostly done, just have to finsh picking up the wood and clean up mess.
My helper, helped push the trees down into the trailer, and our little buddy was watching out of his house, which some how missed the crash of the tree. If ya look hard, ya can see the house in the last picture.
It was a great day. Love workin cuttin up trees and gettin free wood, well sorta free.

Noel

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 11 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 07:02 PM

Plan on dropping a tree tomorrow morning if all goes as planned.  Mine is a dead oak that is a good 32+" through about 3' above ground.  Dead oak means HARD wood.  Plan to cut it right above the fence line.  On the edge of the timber so all the branches are leaning outward.  Going after this with a 18" bars on the saws.  Taking 2 saws and 4 chains, just in case I run into some wire fence in the trunk.  Should be enough wood to run the winter as it is close to 60' tall.  Pics tomorrow evening I hope.

Edited by chieffan, October 13, 2016 - 07:03 PM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 07:05 PM

From the looks of what's left of that tree I would guess you'll be back for the rest of it after the next heavy wind. :D   

Free fire wood already on the ground is always good 

• propane1 said thank you

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 07:15 PM

Yes the next branch is heading for the house. !! This tree was about 22" in diameter and I have a 16" bar on my saw. The saw I have is a low end poulan, worked great. No problem cutting thru this maple, or I think it's maple.

Noel

#5 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 07:23 PM

That chipmunk is priceless. Excuse me sir your saw is very loud and I am very tired...
  • KennyP, tractorgarden, jpackard56 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 678 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 08:45 PM

Must be one of those weeks, I spent the day cutting up three giant oaks. Had the Amish drop them as they were on a hill and tilted twords the house, normally I would just dig in but have had creepy luck lately and they were already here. Was a great day, I got to finally run the husky 562xp through its paces. I love that saw it really eats timber, makes cutting butter seem easy!

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 08:48 AM

Yes the next branch is heading for the house. !! This tree was about 22" in diameter and I have a 16" bar on my saw. The saw I have is a low end poulan, worked great. No problem cutting thru this maple, or I think it's maple.

Noel

I had a Poulan 3400 years ago and for what I paid for it, it was well worth it!

As time went by I had the opportunity for a Stihl 028 for a really good discount price, so that I what I have now.

#8 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 194 Thanks
  • 195 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 09:14 AM

About 6 or 8 years ago I had to remove about 25 ash trees after the AEB went through our area. Got a good price on the majority of them and ended up cutting 6 of them down myself. Nothing was so big that my 14" McCullough wouldn't get it done. I now just have pin oaks and a few maples and one buckeye left. 

#9 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 09:35 AM

I think we need to have a Saw day. Something like a plowday but with chainsaws. I got a couple trees that I'm felling in the near future for next year's wood. I'll supply lunch!!!

I never hesitate to get out and enjoy my Stihls. It's a good feeling to get out and take on a monster tree and win.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, October 14, 2016 - 09:37 AM.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted October 15, 2016 - 06:56 AM

I've done so much firewood in my life that I'm not real eager.
Been pulling out tops an hour at a time for weeks, finally get a Sunday where we will be able to work and get some done.
Looking fwd to it.
  • KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#11 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted October 15, 2016 - 01:17 PM

If the tree is close and handy I would be suggesting the rest of tree come down before it falls down.  We don't allow any large trees near our buildings,,they are nice until they punch a hole in the roof or take out the porch.

I should add,,,it looks like Manitoba Maple, also known as Box Elder. Many turn their nose up at the species around here which is fine with me. I have gotten trees for free and am not concerned that its BTU is 30% less than birch when the price is right!

Edited by Jazz, October 16, 2016 - 10:13 AM.