Got a lead on a Scat Cat mini bike but its a basket case.
Thursday I took the fire truck to the local Vo-Tech school's auto mechanics class. It's a whole five blocks by road, although only two blocks away. Without touching the brake pedal the brake suddenly locked on and there I sat. Putt-her in rewind and got off the clutch a bit hard and popped it loose - about 6 times. When I'd go forward it'd lock on again. Finally decided I'd back around the block. Back about 75 feet and whamm-O! Locked up in reverse.
This is getting old!
Finally, it decided to cooperate and there was no more trouble. The president followed me in his pickup.
Instructor says just pull it on in. Students were excited about the truck and asked several questions. 2 students jumped right on it and went to work. They were farm kids - one having experience changing tires on the "grain truck". Most stood around with their hands in their pockets taking it all in. I got several questions about the truck and explained what I knew.
One kid rolls out the 3 ton floor jack.
I said "that won't work"
He asked what it weighs?
I said dunn-O but more than that jack will lift.
They decided they'd try because there is a safety bypass on the hydraulics. First attempt actually lifted the right rear but there was no place for blocking the axle up. Then they moved the jack to the pumpkin and tried to lift the entire rear of the truck.
Very nearly pushed the jack through the concrete floor.
Out comes the bottle jack. With the right rear tires off the floor the instructor taught the guys [and one gal] proper cribbing and blocking.
Out comes the big impact wrench and all 10 lug nuts yield.
They don't have a tool to remove the inside wheels lug studs.
I remember there is a wheel wrench in one if the cabinets on the truck bed. They supplied their own cheater pipe and muscle.
The countersunk screws that hold the brake drum on won't give. They used an impact driver and no luck. I suggested a blue wrench but that was out of the question. The instructor went over to the ag mechanics class and got their instructor. He said pull the axle and take the entire assembly off. Thats what they did.
With the drum off the problem was evident. The return spring had dis-com-bob-U-lated from one end. There was nothing pulling the brake shoe back away from the drum. It wasn't broken, just undone.
The instructor wanted to look inside the wheel cylinder since wee's already there. I told him he might not want to know but that it was a good idea. There was corrosion on the outside of the pistons but inside looked really good. With a light hone and a good cleaning it was ready to go back together. By that time it was lights out. All the students had left for the day. The rubbers were smooth and pliable so they would go right back in but there had to be lots of cleanup before reassembly.
Friday the students cleaned everything up good and reinstalled the parts. They then flushed all the old nasty brake fluid out of the lines and other wheel cylinders and bled the system.
Friday I got to work once again. Had a run to central Missouri in the big truck. Found a mailbox thought ya'll would like to see so I set the air brake and walked over for a close-up pic. I was on the frontage road but if ya'll travel I-70 through Missouri this is right at the 142 yardstick. Frontage road, north side. They must have been an old Allis Chalmers dealer back when. Been driving by that place for decades and it always looked abandoned but two years ago I started to see lots of work being done there. Doesn't even look like the same place now. Anyhow, they sell used farm equipment and have an occasional auction there now. Here is the mailbox and stand.
Today, I worked until 1pm and then went and picked up the fire truck. Brakes seem a little hard but are working good. Like I said before, this thing isn't going over 30 MPH and may not do half that. Parking brake also works well.
As I was shuffling the trucks trying to get them all in the curator comes over.
I'd been spotted
She need help moving display cases again. It never ends and volunteers are scarce. The museum has a big military exhibit opening Friday morning for Veterans Day. Our military uniforms were on manikins, exposed to dust and prying fingers. The museum got a grant and a right decent donation to have glass cases built with UV glass on all sides to protect the cloth.
Here's a link:
You can see the new display cases in the background on the right side of the pic. There are ten of those cases. This has all been in the works for over a year with the grant application and all. The new cases are on hidden wheels and move easily. The old cases are heavy and not on wheels. Those have to be moved to the back storage room or to another building altogether.
Edited by Gtractor, November 08, 2016 - 09:52 AM.