Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,782 Thanks
  • 4,769 posts

Posted November 07, 2016 - 11:33 PM

Got a lead on a Scat Cat mini bike but its a basket case. 

Thursday I took the fire truck to the local Vo-Tech school's auto mechanics class.  It's a whole five blocks by road, although only two blocks away.   Without touching the brake pedal the brake suddenly locked on and there I sat.  Putt-her in rewind and got off the clutch a bit hard and popped it loose - about 6 times.  When I'd go forward it'd lock on again.  Finally decided I'd back around the block.  Back about 75 feet and whamm-O!  Locked up in reverse. 

This is getting old!

Finally, it decided to cooperate and there was no more trouble.  The president followed me in his pickup. 

Instructor says just pull it on in.  Students were excited about the truck and asked several questions.  2 students jumped right on it and went to work.  They were farm kids - one having experience changing tires on the "grain truck".  Most stood around with their hands in their pockets taking it all in.  I got several questions about the truck and explained what I knew.

One kid rolls out the 3 ton floor jack. 

I said "that won't work"

He asked what it weighs?

I said dunn-O but more than that jack will lift.

They decided they'd try because there is a safety bypass on the hydraulics.  First attempt actually lifted the right rear but there was no place for blocking the axle up.  Then they moved the jack to the pumpkin and tried to lift the entire rear of the truck. 

Very nearly pushed the jack through the concrete floor.

Out comes the bottle jack.  With the right rear tires off the floor the instructor taught the guys [and one gal]  proper cribbing and blocking. 

Out comes the big impact wrench and all 10 lug nuts yield.

They don't have a tool to remove the inside wheels lug studs. 

I remember there is a wheel wrench in one if the cabinets on the truck bed.  They supplied their own cheater pipe and muscle. 

The countersunk screws that hold the brake drum on won't give.  They used an impact driver and no luck.  I suggested a blue wrench but that was out of the question.   The instructor went over to the ag mechanics class and got their instructor.  He said pull the axle and take the entire assembly off.  Thats what they did.

With the drum off the problem was evident.   The return spring had dis-com-bob-U-lated from one end.  There was nothing pulling the brake shoe back away from the drum.  It wasn't broken,  just undone.

The instructor wanted to look inside the wheel cylinder since wee's already there.  I told him he might not want to know but that it was a good idea.  There was corrosion on the outside of the pistons but inside looked really good.  With a light hone and a good cleaning it was ready to go back together.   By that time it was lights out.  All the students had left for the day.  The rubbers were smooth and pliable so they would go right back in but there had to be lots of cleanup before reassembly. 

Friday the students cleaned everything up good and reinstalled the parts.  They then flushed all the old nasty brake fluid out of the lines and other wheel cylinders and bled the system.

Friday I got to work once again.  Had a run to central Missouri in the big truck.  Found a mailbox thought ya'll  would like to see so I set the air brake and walked over for a close-up pic.  I was on the frontage road but if ya'll travel I-70 through Missouri this is right at the 142 yardstick.  Frontage road, north side.  They must have been an old Allis Chalmers dealer back when.  Been driving by that place for decades and it always looked abandoned but two years ago I started to see lots of work being done there.  Doesn't even look like the same place now.  Anyhow,  they sell used farm equipment and have an occasional auction there now. Here is the mailbox and stand.

Wise.jpg

Today, I worked until 1pm and then went and picked up the fire truck.  Brakes seem a little hard but are working good.  Like I said before,  this thing isn't going over 30 MPH and may not do half that.   Parking brake also works well.

As I was shuffling the trucks trying to get them all in the curator comes over. 

I'd been spotted

She need help moving display cases again.  It never ends and volunteers are scarce.  The museum has a big military exhibit opening Friday morning for Veterans Day.  Our military uniforms were on manikins, exposed to dust and prying fingers.   The museum got a grant and a right decent donation to have glass cases built with UV glass on all sides to protect the cloth. 

Here's a link:

http://www.chillicot...niformgrant.htm

You can see the new display cases in the background on the right side of the pic.  There are ten of those cases.  This has all been in the works for over a year with the grant application and all.  The new cases are on hidden wheels and move easily.  The old cases are heavy and not on wheels.  Those have to be moved to the back storage room or to another building altogether. 

Edited by Gtractor, November 08, 2016 - 09:52 AM.

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#32 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,960 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted November 08, 2016 - 12:44 AM

Be careful, all this stuff gets fixed and the cases get wheels... you may not be needed :D
  • Gtractor, KennyP and Cat385B have said thanks

#33 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,782 Thanks
  • 4,769 posts

Posted November 08, 2016 - 03:24 PM

UGH!!!  No deliveries today as rain was in the area yesterday and scheduled for today.  I don't think it rained any here but some spotty stuff rolled through the area.

I was too sick to work anyhow.  Got a bad head cold from the MRS.  She had it all weekend and didn't look worthy of a place of employment Monday morning when she left. 

My cold really threw a wrench on the museums plans for today.  They had equipment borrowed to move some of the bigger cases and I told them I simply couldn't do it.  I feel really bad because the military display has to be ready Friday morning.  Pretty sure they can't find anyone else that'll show up.

Some of you don't have Facebook but I wanted to share some pictures I put on a FB page for old tractors.  I know some of you collect toy trucks and tractors.   I may have shown this before so if I did forgive me.  The newby's haven't seen it for sure.

I copy and paste so I don't have to retype the story.......

Here is a farm truck toy that I bet ya'll haven't seen before for Toy Tuesday? This ia a Gama brand toy made in Germany not long after WW-II. Hood opens to wind a spring to propell the truck. Headlights [one missing] work, horn honks with button on steering wheel that actually steers the front wheels. Gearshift in cab to utilize L/H/N/R tranny through a real driveshaft to a geared differential in the rearend. As you can see the doors open with real latches and the cab top removes for access to controls in cab. Truck is 15 inches long so similar to the highly collectible Tonka's of the late 1950's in size. Originally it had a side dump bed that dumped to either side via small hand crank out the back of the frame. I didn't get the bed. 1f641.png   

Gama 4.jpg ,Gama 1.jpg ,Gama 2.jpg ,Gama 3.jpg

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#34 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,792 Thanks
  • 44,568 posts

Posted November 08, 2016 - 03:36 PM

Sorry about the cold! It's that time of year for that stuff.

That is a cool truck! Thanks for sharing it here!

• Gtractor said thank you

#35 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,948 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted November 08, 2016 - 10:13 PM

Toys don't get much cooler than that truck to show a kid some rough basics of power transmission! My girls bought me this Hubley for Father's Day a few years back. They recognized it as a rough resemblance to a '55 or '56 GMC so they got it for me since I drive one. All this toy can teach a kid is how to turn a crank---LOL! Lots of them nowadays may not even be able to figure that out.

What's the name of the FB group Kris?

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• 55-56 GMC Hubley toy 008.jpg
  • 55-56 GMC Hubley toy 006.jpg
  • 55-56 GMC Hubley toy 007.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#36 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,782 Thanks
  • 4,769 posts

Posted November 08, 2016 - 10:15 PM

Old Farm Tractors

LOVE that GMC tow truck!!

I thought that was a telephone truck for a while because the sides were so high.

Here's another Hubley GMC tow truck although an older model and in plastic.

The booms are missing.      

GMC.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, November 08, 2016 - 11:08 PM.

• MFDAC said thank you

#37 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,782 Thanks
  • 4,769 posts

Posted November 08, 2016 - 11:22 PM

OK,  I'm bored watching the election results so here is another GMC.

This time a new-in-box '64-'66 flatbed. The toy company is "Ideal".  I took the clear plastic cover off the package because it is old and has some yellowing/cracks.

Bought this [and a few others] from a co-worker about 15 years ago because he had just received his 15th [or 16th - I lost count] driving while intoxicated award and needed some lawyer money. 

GMC flatbed.jpg

Last I knew he got two more of those same driving awards.  :(

Edited by Gtractor, November 08, 2016 - 11:23 PM.

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#38 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 8,526 Thanks
  • 4,393 posts

Posted November 09, 2016 - 11:19 AM

Stay friends with him, he may have more stuff to sell, lol.
  • Gtractor said thank you

#39 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,185 Thanks
  • 5,621 posts

Posted November 09, 2016 - 08:38 PM

And he still gets a license back? My buddy thought it would be a good idea to get his 3rd and he spent time in jail lost his license for a long time..cost him thousands and his job
  • Gtractor and oldedeeres have said thanks

#40 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,948 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted November 09, 2016 - 09:04 PM

Old Farm Tractors

LOVE that GMC tow truck!!

I thought that was a telephone truck for a while because the sides were so high.

Here's another Hubley GMC tow truck although an older model and in plastic.

The booms are missing.      

attachicon.gifGMC.jpg

Thank-you! I joined that group, Kris, FB was giving the old computer fits tonight though. The "AD" era older model must be newer than mine since it's plastic but it looks like they kinda went along with a similar idea color-wise.

OK,  I'm bored watching the election results so here is another GMC.

This time a new-in-box '64-'66 flatbed. The toy company is "Ideal".  I took the clear plastic cover off the package because it is old and has some yellowing/cracks.

Bought this [and a few others] from a co-worker about 15 years ago because he had just received his 15th [or 16th - I lost count] driving while intoxicated award and needed some lawyer money. 

attachicon.gifGMC flatbed.jpg

Last I knew he got two more of those same driving awards.  :(

I didn't turn on election stuff, just played the ipod in the shop, went in and watched the weather channel---LOL! I got one of those "driving awards" exactly 40 years ago, learned my lesson. Glad I didn't kill somebody or myself.

Ideal really did a nice job on that GMC! I dig it! Looks like a '64 or '65 judging by the grill letters and the the "A" pillars. Looks like a "V-6" emblem is barely visible on the hood too! I remember "Motorific" as a set similar to slot cars, about 1/43 scale which that truck looks like. I had a set as a kid and remember a '63 Chevy Impala that I loved. Mom drove one back then too. The only other small scale GMC's I have are newer diecast of older trucks, and a diecast GMC bank that we won in an "Ugly Truck Contest" with the '55. I do have several 1960's HO scale Aurora slot cars, but none Ag related.

Stay friends with him, he may have more stuff to sell, lol.

Yeah if he is still managing to stay out of jail, he probably is always looking for some bucks to pay fines!

DAC

• Gtractor, MH81 and UncleWillie have said thanks

#41 EricR OFFLINE  

EricR
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495
  • 577 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted November 09, 2016 - 09:07 PM

And he still gets a license back? My buddy thought it would be a good idea to get his 3rd and he spent time in jail lost his license for a long time..cost him thousands and his job

Amen, I'm a CDL holder and can't imagine even 1 time.....

• Gtractor and MFDAC have said thanks

#42 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,948 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted November 09, 2016 - 09:20 PM

Amen, I'm a CDL holder and can't imagine even 1 time.....

I hear you on that Eric! I have had to hold a Class A for the last 13 years now. I probably wouldn't have been able to get the job I have now if that one DWI was still on my record. Glad they didn't records check back 27 years when I was applying for the job!

DAC

• EricR said thank you

#43 EricR OFFLINE  

EricR
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495
  • 577 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted November 09, 2016 - 09:35 PM

I'm just a Class B with Haz-mat and tanker but I would lose my job right on the spot if anything happened, so have to keep clean, sorry to hi-jack this post Kris!!!!!!  

• Gtractor and MFDAC have said thanks

#44 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,782 Thanks
  • 4,769 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 06:29 AM

sorry to hi-jack this post Kris!!!!!!  

That's not hi-jack,  that's participation.  :thumbs:

• MH81, MFDAC, EricR and 1 other said thanks

#45 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,782 Thanks
  • 4,769 posts

Posted November 19, 2016 - 06:49 AM

Been getting a fair amount of work the last couple weeks so haven't had nearly as much GTT time.

Early last week the MRS shared her cold with me so I was out of commission for 2 full days and felt like death warmed over for another.  Still had/have the cough for over a week so that's nice.  Threw my ribs out coughing so hard so breathing has been hard and painful. 

The museum Pres. called wanting help and I just couldn't do it.  That made me feel even worse because I know they are always short on volunteers.  The all new military display was ready for business on Vetrans Day as scheduled but it wasn't quite finished.  Still,  it looks great.  I had to work that Friday and had already promised to get the military Jeep out and park it by the front entrance of the museum so I had to go in early and do that before going on to work.  Guess it was a big hit.  Got off work and made it back out to the museum just before dark and put the Jeep away. 

We still haven't got a title to the Jeep.  The local museum made the purchase on July 27th.  We've found a little corruption in the now defunct military museum where we acquired the Jeep.  After numerous phone calls and emails getting absolutely no response what-so-ever, the pres. happened to a chance encounter with a woman that knew how to get things done.  She made contact and told them we needed some paperwork.  They promptly sent a Bill Of Sale.  Missouri doesn't honor bill of sale in any way, shape, or form,  so that was a dead end.  By Missouri law the seller MUST furnish a title on any and all motor vehicles at he time of the sale.  I already knew this as I've been a Missouri licensed car dealer for 27+ years now. 

Heres where the problem really gets bad.  The selling museums bill of sale states a lower price than the purchase price. 

Someone in their organization pocketed $500 on the sale so our check and the purchase price don't jive. 

BIG NO-NO!    

Numerous more un-returned calls and emails and our Pres gave up and went to see an attorney Friday.  After finding out how much its going to cost to fight this in the courts he decided to give it one more chance.  While at the attorneys office the Pres. made one more call.  Got the same ole answering machine he's talked to so many times.  This time he clearly stated he was at the attorneys office and was starting legal action against the selling museum since we couldn't get anywhere playing nice. 

You'd have to know our President.  He doesn't mind a challenge and has a never back down attitude. 

Nicest guy there is but I'd hate to be on his bad side.

Anyhow,  the big dog from the selling museum hears "attorney and legal action" and actually picked up the phone.  Maybe he screens the calls?  maybe he was just in the office during this particular call after being "gone" for so many previous calls over the last 3+ months.   :smilewink:

He begged to hold off on the legal action until Monday to see what he could do.  Trying to save money,  our Pres agreed but made it abundantly clear that as of Monday afternoon legal action starts and there will be no backing down.  He also brought up the fact that our check and the sale price didn't jive and that the state would probably be VERY interested in that being pointed out to them.

We feel we have their undivided attention now.

Today is the Christmas parade.  Going to be super cold but its that time of year.  The Pres got the cold virus that's going around and was sick this week.  Now his wife has something going on - possibly a kidney stone.  He already took her to our local hospital which is always a joke.   He said if she's not better by the end of the parade he's taking her to an emergency room in Kansas City.  We didn't get the flag-draped coffin setup this week because of all our health problems.  Be lucky if all 4 drivers actually make it to drive for the parade. 

We had to get gas in two of the vehicles yesterday.  The fire truck and the Semi.  I volunteered to take the fire truck since it has many idiosyncracies to deal with.  Got to the gas station and put in 7.5 gallon.  Went to leave and the starter went clunk!  That was all she wrote.  Took me about 20 minutes to figure out what was going on.  The starter gear hit the flywheel just wrong and locked them together.  While we hooked up a jumper box [ to no avail - the batteries were fine] an old retired paid-by-call fireman came in for gas.   He also used to have a mower dealership and auto repair shop here in town. He knows mechanics.   He asked about the clutch.  I said the clutch seems fine but that with the engine only running on half the cylinders because of lack of compression,  it didn't have the power to burn the clutch.  He was shocked that the engine was in such bad shape.  I asked if it ever overheated. He said not to his knowledge.  I told him my theory of overheating fighting a fire and getting cold water poured in.  He didn't think that would have happened.

Be good if that were the case.  I'd love to open it up and see whats going on in there.

Been working on my F250 pickup.  The Tommy Gate cylinder had blown last winter and I was tired of not being able to use it.  No one in this town has hydraulic parts which means going to the city or ordering off some ones web site. Since I don't own a credit card I figured my truck driving career would eventually take me right by a dealer.   Finally got a run by a Tommy Gate dealer so I dropped in.  They had the rebuild kit on the shelf in stock.  I really only needed the seals but someone had rebuilt my cylinder before and used the wrong parts so it is great to have the factory schtuff in there even if it cost a little more.  Since the liftgate itself was free from the city dump years ago I can afford to put a few dollars in it.  I only use that pickup 12-15 days per year but I want it ready to go at a moments notice.  $31 and I can use my liftgate again.

While the truck was down, I decided the rust out hole in the floor needed fixed.  I've had this truck nearly 20 years and its been a good one.  About 12 years ago it got a rust hole in the drivers floor.  At the time I crawled underneath and put duct tape over the hole.  Then with a heavy coat of POR-15 on the top side I had a solid floor for several more years.  That quick-fix was still holding but other areas were rusting out so in the heat of the summer the air-co wouldn't keep up like it used to.  Cut out the bad and welded in new metal to seal it up.  If I get around to it I'll seal this with POR-15 too.  This truck is far from pretty.  its to pull a trailer and haul schtuff, 

While welding in the cab I figured it'd be a good idea to remove the seat to reduce the risk of fire.  The seat cover I put on years ago was almost shot as you'll see in the pictures.   Hard to find saddle-blanket seat covers anymore but I like them.  The MRS got me a new one for this pickup last Christmas and I been needing to put it on since then. [maybe before ]  The red shredded cover is what its had for some time now.  the black and white one is obviously the new one.  The quality of the new one is pretty bad but its all there was available locally.   It should last quite a while no more than that truck gets used.   

Now for pics.

Floor being cut out and patch welded in.

F250 1.jpg ,F250 2.jpg

Liftgate rebuild kit and all the crud I dug out of the bottom of the liftgate.  Being wet with oil the leaves and dirt really built up.

F250 3.jpg ,F250 4.jpg

My seat recover project  before.

F250 5.jpg

look at the holes.  This thing has about 230,000 miles.  I duct taped the holes to hold shape under the new cover.

F250 6.jpg ,F250 7.jpg

Finished product.

F250 8.jpg

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 1 other said thanks