• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,737 Thanks
  • 44,522 posts

Posted November 05, 2017 - 07:56 AM

That looks like a B-52. One was coming in to land up at Wichita once. I was driving 55 MPH and passed him.

• Gtractor said thank you

#317 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,335 Thanks
  • 9,718 posts

Posted November 05, 2017 - 09:53 AM

I'm not saying you're doing your ditching wrong, but from the looks of the power pole you're coming up on in the third pic, you might be gouging a bit much out of there.

post-782-0-32031000-1509879721.jpg

PS - that round shovel, while not rusty, seems to not have much wear.....

Edited by Cat385B, November 05, 2017 - 09:56 AM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor and oldedeeres have said thanks

#318 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,769 Thanks
  • 4,763 posts

Posted November 05, 2017 - 10:37 AM

HA!! 

Those are city electric dept. poles even though they are out in the stix.

The farmer told the utility exactly where to put the poles.  He rules the roost.

The poles should be farther from the road.  :(

• olcowhand, grnspot110 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#319 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,156 Thanks
  • 8,574 posts

Posted November 05, 2017 - 11:21 AM

I think the plane is a Fieseler Storch.
  • Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#320 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,769 Thanks
  • 4,763 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 06:26 PM

Willie, is that from the Luftwaffe?

• KennyP said thank you

#321 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,769 Thanks
  • 4,763 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 12:03 AM

Weather is turning to crap.  I hate winter. 

Last Thursday we had to fix the approach to a brand new bridge in our TWP.  Chester Bross Co. out of Hannibal, MO built a new bridge over a creek on one of our roads and they just finished it a month or two back.  We've had an almost daily battle with the west side approach being soft.  The semi's rolling for this falls harvest were struggling to get through.  Finally the board member that lives right next to the bridge said tear it out and fix it right.   Once shaved we could see they used the track-hoe and dug crap out of the creek to use as fill. There's even drift wood in the spongy, sandy soil.  We've put a couple of layers of gravel on trying to keep the road open and you can still see how shallow the gravel is and what the "base" is made of.   The county commissioners came out and walked around and approved the finished product.  But they had no idea what they were walking on. [pic 1]

Chester Bross Co. used the same material on the opposite side of the bridge but that's the side they did early in the project to allow access for the work crew and it had a chance to dry out.  There was a minor flood late in the project - enough that the crew didn't come to work for a week+.  Then as soon as the water went down they dug fill out of the creek.   *%^(^$)%&)&%

We have 3 county commissioners. One is a very good guy.  One is a blooming idiot, [he used to be a school teacher of mine]  and one is a good white collar businessman but he has no clue on blue collar, down in the trenches, what it takes, stuff.

They let the wool be pulled over their eyes and our TWP had to pay to fix the problem.  Took most of a day with all 3 guys and 6 loads of base rock.  I'm supposed to keep quiet about such things but I want to go to the courthouse and ask for reimbursement.

I was told specifically not to do that.  :deadhorse:

Monday Dennis and I took the motor graders back down to the bottoms and cut more ditches and reshaped more of the roads just like we did Friday.  Getting more confident as I went, it was really enjoyable.  nothing like getting paid [well] to play in the dirt.  :smilewink:

I thought I'd taken some pictures but guess not.  We moved a lot of dirt.  If teenagers with 4X4 pickups stay off when its muddy it'll be a fantastic road.   I have no hope the teenagers will stay off them after it rains. 

Tuesday we went back to cutting ditches with the Tiger side-arm - and Wednesday, and Thursday. 

I was in the hoe cleaning out tube ends roughly half of each day.  Its kind of like watching paint dry - only far less entertaining.  At least the hoe has a good radio.

Wednesday it was a beautiful day.  Finally warmed up enough to be comfortable outside with just a t-shirt on and no coat.  Got to where I'd just shovel the tube ends and not use the hoe at all.  The kind of day its great to be outside.  Also helped break up the boredom.

[pic-2] I was standing on top of the cab of the hoe just because I could.  When Robert got to the intersection where I was parked we traded equipment and I ditched the rest of the day.  Ditchers radio doesn't work unless you are sitting still but it still far more entertaining running it.

[pic-3] Robert found a place where the ditch was full of gravel so he drove in someone's yard and threw the gravel, and a touch of dirt, back out in the road. 

Couple of weeks ago while ditching we stumbled onto a pile of trash that was newly dumped.  It wasn't there on a Friday and it was the next Monday.  [pic-4]

Litterbugs drive me insane!!!!

Many years ago my mom threw a Dr. Pepper can out of my Chevy LUV window.  I slid to a stop rather abruptly.  Put it in rewind, and backed up to said can.  She asked what's wrong?  I said no one throws trash out of my vehicle - pick it up!  She thought I was kidding, for a second or two. 

I believe I got her attention.

Anyhow,  I dug through the pile of trash and found a notebook with someone's "weekly budget" written out to the penny. 

No name anywhere so they had planned on dumping this trash all along.  Bad part is they had a good chunk of it in the refuse company's orange bag.  The orange bags are $1 each and the city's refuse dept. is funded by those bags in lieu of taxes.   

Anyhow,  right on the budget is an expense where they had a traffic ticket and had to pay $ amount to such-and-such county complete with the violation number written in two places.

That's like having their SSN and drivers license all rolled into one. 

I had them SOB's!!!

So I march it right up to the sheriffs dept. 

Talked to the dumbest person I've ever met in my life.  He had real trouble getting the facts correct.  I got louder and louder each time I had to repeat myself as if to make him understand.

Apparently I was heard throughout the building as the sheriff himself came up from his back office to see what was going on.  He thought there was an argument. 

Not an argument,  just and idiot.  :mad2:

This deputy had to document my name and contact info. 

I was OK with that but he had a real hard time with my name.

Its Kris.

I even spelled it for him as my parents are two of the very few that can spell correctly.

He asked if that was short for something else like Christopher.

I said no its Kris. K. R. I. S.

He asked is that was short for Christian. 

I said "no but I am"

That didn't help.

I thought about asking for someone else to help me. 

The deputy finally decided my name was just like I told him from the git-go. 

Kris.

He asked my phone number

I told him.

Then this deputy informed me that someone else had already reported the illegal dump.  It was our board member that lives on that road and keeps a keen eye out for such things.  He even got a license number.  I went through this hell for nutin.

Then the deputy that I was talking with informed me the deputy that was working Saturday and got the initial report from Ronnie, our board member, was off duty until Thursday.

This was on a Monday.

I guess its great that our county law enforcement gets regular days off duty.  Everyone needs a day off now and then

What I failed to grasp is investigations and enforcement stops cold because one deputy has a day off and the case is set aside until that very deputy can get back to it. 

There's no sharing of cases.  Its my case,  you get your own case.

I'm in awe!  [pic-5]

Reasonably satisfied I had gotten through, and that my effort was totally wasted,  I went back at my job.

Just get started and the deputy calls.

I just lost my Christianity. 

He wants to know if I'm going to pick up the trash.

uh,  NO!!!

I'd much rather the guilty party get that pleasure.  That's kind of my main goal to catch the guilty party. Besides, I'm not in refuse work. 

Two weeks later and I been watching the newspaper real close.  Everything the sheriffs dept does they document in the local newspaper.  Kind of a "see, we are doing something".

Well apparently they ain't doing anything cause there has been nothing about an arrest for illegal dumping.  I've seen that before where they make the guilty party clean up an area and if they play nice there are no charges for a first offense.  Nothing like that in the paper since.

When I get back out that way I'm going to pour some diesel fuel on the debris and burn it.   We kept some diesel back from the fuel tank fiasco so we have a couple cans just for such things.

I gotta go take more blood pressure medicine..... :wallbanging:

Attached Thumbnails

• New bridge.jpg
  • ditching.jpg
  • ditchin 1.jpg
  • trash 1.jpg
  • zzxzzxzz.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, November 10, 2017 - 12:08 AM.

• grnspot110, KennyP, Cat385B and 2 others have said thanks

#322 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,335 Thanks
  • 9,718 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 04:41 AM

We use creek bed silt to build roads all the time. Just not roads for vehicles. Well, not exactly roads, we call it a 'green area' up here. It means anywhere except the road, actually.

We had a very nice vehicle unload a lot of trash into an excavation of ours once. Neighbor saw the vehicle, told us about it when we got there in the morning. Dug thru it, got an address, and sent it back to their driveway along with 12 yards of clay.

Never get into a pissing match with someone who is creative and has a large excavator.

IMG_1137.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG
  • Gtractor, grnspot110, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#323 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,769 Thanks
  • 4,763 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 07:20 AM

That's a good idea! 

Problem is, these people live in a rental.  The landlord would be stuck with the cleanup cause the rent is due and the low life dumpers are probably already moving.   :(

#324 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15,156 Thanks
  • 8,574 posts

Posted November 10, 2017 - 07:41 AM

I'm not saying you're doing your ditching wrong, but from the looks of the power pole you're coming up on in the third pic, you might be gouging a bit much out of there.

post-782-0-32031000-1509879721.jpg

PS - that round shovel, while not rusty, seems to not have much wear.....

Hard to wear one out just leaning on it. 

Many years ago a friend send her 16 year old son to the dump. He came back and was doing whatever teenagers did in the early 70s before electronics were embedded in their hands. After a while  state trooper pulled up. He had an envelope he had taken out of the bag of trash with her address on it. In lieu of being ticketed, the trooper allowed him to clean up the entire 4 miles of road - while the trooper supervised. Kid came back with a terrible sunburn, and never did it again. 

Edited by UncleWillie, November 10, 2017 - 07:44 AM.

• Gtractor, Cat385B and oldedeeres have said thanks

#325 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,769 Thanks
  • 4,763 posts

Posted November 12, 2017 - 10:36 PM

Friday I ran the ditcher most all day,  by myself, on a road from nowhere to nowhere. 

It is really just a field access road that hasn't been graveled in years.  One mile long,  no houses and only one field drive tube.

Hadn't been ditched in years so I cut the ditches [2 passes] and Robert would drop in and spread gravel with the K-Whopper.  Other than when Robert was there I was all by my lonesome all day and it was nice.

By the time that road was done it was less than 2 hours until shifts end so I ditched on roads as I drove back to the barn.

Friday was Veterans Day for most but we worked.  Dennis is a deer hunter and firearms deer season opened in MO on Sat morning.  He wanted 2 days off to hunt so he voted we take Monday.  The weather guestomaterz said Monday would be warmer so I voted for Monday as well.  Robert had no preference.  When Robert got out our employee handbook to verify that veterans day was a holiday for us he discovered that Columbus day was as well.  In previous years Columbus day was traded out for the day after Thanksgiving.  The board changed that just before I started in June and no one caught it until last week.  Dennis called a board member and asked if we were screwed since we missed it last month.  He was told to take an extra day off.  So Tuesday we'll be off for Columbus Day.   4 day weekend  :thumbs:

Next weekend is back to a 2 dayer then the next weekend is Thanksgiving so its a 4 dayer. 

No complaints from me. 

They gave us Columbus day and took away Harry Truman's birthday in trade for the Friday after Thanksgiving. The board meant to take away one additional holiday but worded it so Columbus day is back in. 

They all read the new revised rules and approved them as written.  :angel:

Today the MRS hit the big 50

I gave her the opportunity to get her present Saturday evening or Sunday morning.

She couldn't wait so I brought her present in and set it up on the stove.   She seems to really like it.

AFTER I gave it to her I had to get online and see what it was.  Didn't want to do internet searches before hand as she'd figure out what it was if she looked at search history.  Yeah,  I could delete the history but that's too much trouble.

Found out it was made by the Grafton Company and its called a "Super Sonda" made roughly from 1950 to roughly 1966. 

I'm going to restore it for her but have been looking today and can't find any parts.  It need both tires, front fender, the kickstand, and decals.  Everything else is just clean and paint.  If I could get a new back wheel I'd get that too but not required. It has deep rust pits but could be fixed.

Friday morning just after I got to work [7am] the sirens were screaming all over town.  I noted how many and how long they were at it and said something big is going on....

Saturday I heard on the radio that a guy was traveling through a very small "town" just west of me @ 1:30 am when he got off work as the cook at a shooting range/high end restaurant that is 5 miles south of me, ran by an old classmate of mine in the boonies.  Apparently this guy was really motivating and lost it in a 35 MPH zone.  Did a couple 360's,  hit a utility pole, became airborne and flew over a creek completely missing the bridge.  The car hit, roof first, on the opposite creek bank mashing the roof down to the top of the seats and slid down submerging the '97 Chevy Lumina in a rolled over position in the freezing cold water.  He lived alone so no one missed him not getting home.  When the sun came up about 7am his car was spotted only partly out of the water.

He was 26.

Attached Thumbnails

• 50th.jpg
  • Sonda.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, November 12, 2017 - 11:40 PM.

• olcowhand, grnspot110, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#326 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,737 Thanks
  • 44,522 posts

Posted November 13, 2017 - 05:48 AM

Happy Birthday, Mrs. Kris! Nice scooter!

• Gtractor and Delmar have said thanks

#327 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 4,003 Thanks
  • 2,587 posts

Posted November 13, 2017 - 07:51 AM

Tell her happy birthday for me!

• Gtractor said thank you

#328 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,255 Thanks
  • 2,375 posts

Posted November 13, 2017 - 04:05 PM

Happy Birthday Mrs Kris who got a new toy

Looks like it made you happy and gave you great joy

Got a bit of work to be done before the first ride

But once it is fixed up it should give you great pride

Does this mean Kris gets some bonus points for being a good boy?

• Gtractor, grnspot110 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#329 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15,156 Thanks
  • 8,574 posts

Posted November 13, 2017 - 06:29 PM

We need a video of her riding her new scooter now. 

Edited by UncleWillie, November 13, 2017 - 06:38 PM.

• Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#330 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 4,003 Thanks
  • 2,587 posts

Posted November 13, 2017 - 07:33 PM

Happy Birthday Mrs Kris who got a new toy

Looks like it made you happy and gave you great joy

Got a bit of work to be done before the first ride

But once it is fixed up it should give you great pride

Does this mean Kris gets some bonus points for being a good boy?

Believe me, Kris will never get enough "bonus points"!   :deadhorse:  :bigrofl:

• Gtractor, KennyP, shorty and 1 other said thanks