Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 04:47 PM

Sometimes I think I should start my own thread like Daniel and Willie have.  Seems I'm always going to auctions, working on, buying, or helping someone out and have [maybe] too many threads started.

Input welcome on that subject.

Yesterday I got all my antifreeze checked.  Had one car a lil low so had to add some.  I took that car to town today so now I can check it and get an accurate reading. 

With the antifreeze done,  I turned my attention to the house furnace. 

Figured it'd be bad...

I was right.  :wallbanging:

Here is the "blower fan assembly" that aids the dirty air in getting up the chimney.  At least whats left of it.  Furnace was installed Janurary 5th 1992.  Its a "Heil" brand.  DON'T EVER BUY A HEIL BRAND if you don't know how to fix things yourself.  Most HVAC companies scoff at the thing as soon as they hear what brand it is.  [I tend to think this is their way of improving their chances of selling/installing an entirely new setup]  All most HVAC's want to do is sell an new system. 

Actually its been a right decent furnace.  You almost have to have an inside person to get you parts. 

The only thing that hasn't been changed out since it was new is the two blowers.  The blower motor is still fine. I oil the blower motors at the start of every season, although they are not really intended to be "serviceable".

I took the offending part to my old HVAC repair man today [now retired because of poor health although not that old] and he confirmed my suspicion that I can't just buy the fan blade.  Have to buy the entire setup.

Anyhow,  he said its only $82.19 with tax and he'll be going right by the place that has the part in stock Monday.  The place is an hour away.

I think that's an OK deal. 

Before he called me back with the good news [parts still available] I got to opening up the blower housing in preparation of finding just the new fan blade.  Once he called all work on that stopped.  I run a dehumidifier most all summer but moisture is still rampant and will be the death of this furnace.  The moisture has killed several washing machines over the 25+ years I have lived here. 

Now the pics.  The chimney pipe pic is from last year.  That pipe goes directly above this blower assembly.  The blower was "off balance" just a tad last winter.  Now I know why.  Only found 9 fan blades when I took this thing apart and there were 13 blades missing. 

blower 3.jpg ,blower 1.jpg ,blower 2.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, October 13, 2016 - 04:49 PM.

• olcowhand, KennyP, Cvans and 5 others have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,560 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 05:16 PM

Yup, you should. And you have, right here.
  • Gtractor, KennyP and Bmerf have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 05:22 PM

Looks like a good start to me.

Ouch on that fan! Only made it 14 years. :(

• Gtractor said thank you

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 05:35 PM

Looks like a good start to me.

Ouch on that fan! Only made it 14 years. :(

Kenny,  your math sux!  :poke:

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,109 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 05:50 PM

Wow , never seen a fan go like that. Mostly the whole cage lets go.

Noel

And maybe put stainless pipe in. May help.

Edited by propane1, October 13, 2016 - 05:52 PM.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 05:53 PM

Kenny,  your math sux!  :poke:

Yup! Didn't have a calculator handy!

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 06:07 PM

Sometimes I think.........Yes, good title for your blog thread!  I enjoy reading Willie's thread, and I'm sure I'll enjoy yours as well!  I also use my thread to remember dates with events when my memory fails me.  Might also come in handy if I'm ever accused of being somewhere one shouldn't be.  I could never remember where I was on a certain day once a week or so has passed! 

You've also reminded me I need to pick up some antifreeze and check all my freeze protection.  

My York furnace has eaten 2 induction fans over it's 23 years to this point.  Same as yours, dropping several blades till it got out of balance or just couldn't pull enough air to trip the pressure switch to keep the fire going.  If they were made of stainless they'd never fail.  My motors still run fine, but the blades corrode away.  I've already checked my furnace this year, and it's good to go for now.  Last winter I had to replace the duct fan also.  Other than that, I've replaced the circuit board twice (lightning), and the igniter once in the 23 years.  Oh, and the AC condensor fan was replaced a couple years ago.  I could likely verify exactly when by digging back through my big thread.

#8 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,109 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 06:13 PM

So, how does one get to these threads to read them, or can I. ?

Noel

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 06:27 PM

Noel

They are the first two pinned topics under this header.

• propane1 said thank you

#10 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,109 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 06:38 PM

Oh, I seeee. Learn something new every day. I am not computer wise, thanks Kenny.

Noel

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 06:43 PM

Noel

HERE is mine, and HERE is Uncle Willie's.

• Gtractor, KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#12 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 07:06 PM

I'll :watch_over_fence:

I've often thought about starting just one thread; but can barely find time to visit GTTalk everyday. Life is way to busy these days.

Look forward to reading about your adventures.

#13 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,730 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 07:10 PM

I love the title. You can start each post with that, or on bad days you can start with 'sometimes I don't'.
  • olcowhand, Gtractor, jpackard56 and 2 others have said thanks

#14 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 08:28 PM

Could a mod please pin this thread?

The fan blade was held on the motor shaft with a set screw.  Musta tried a dozen Allen wrenches in there. NONE were a tight fit.  One of the fan blades had a hole to allow access to the set screw but it was small.  Didn't figure it'd hurt anything so I busted out more blades giving me good access to the screw.  With an LED flashlight and sitting under my new LED flood lamp I could finally see I was gonna need a torx bit.  Someone mentioned the other day that it sounded like I had cataracts.  I think they are onto something.  Problem is I'm [only] 46.   T20 was the size and I promptly destroyed 3 of them even though I heated the screw and quenched it several times.  2 of the bits were EL-Cheap-O's but one was a Genuine Dewalt Impact.  That made me happy.

I was glad my guy called with the offer of brand new parts so I could switch to something else. 

With that project on the back burner,  it was time to do some tire work.  I have this 1997 Dodge Intrepid that's kind of a backup car,  wanna-be pickup, and all around beater. You wouldn't believe the things this car has hauled. Back when it was our main transportation, I built a trailer hitch and it has hauled loads it was never designed for.

Bought this thing when it was 4 years old as a repo from a local bank.  Previous owners got the Big "D" and the wife that wound up with the car couldn't afford the payments.  My MRS worked at the bank at that time and right around July 4th I made the offer of $1500 cash.  The loan officer laughed at me and said something about a cold day in [somewhere] before they'd take an offer like that. $4600 was owed on the car.  December 6th the same loan officer called wanting to know if my offer still stood. I asked him if it was that cold day in [somewhere] he mentioned 5+ months before and he said it indeed was.   I said the offer stood and they allowed the MRS to walk across the street to the bank we deal with to get the cash for the purchase. 

Anyhow its been a great car - although there has been some electrical voodoo along the years and miles. I don't have a clue how many miles it has.  The odometer quit at 204,000 several years ago.  It mostly sits now but earlier in the week the right front tire suddenly decided to go flat.  Couldn't be a nail because I hadn't driven it in long enough the battery was too low to start it.  Rolled the portable compressor over to the Dodge and got enough air in the tire to allow me to back it in the shed.  Floor jacks work much better on flat concrete than on hilly gravel.    Removed the tire and applied some soapy water. 

This is what I found

aa tire.jpg

Front side didn't leak so I put-er on the HF tire machine, broke down the back side and doused-er in soapy water.  Didn't like the looks of the valve stem so I went ahead and broke down the front bead to install a new stem.  Had new stems on the shelf in the shop so that was quick and easy.  All 4 tires on this car came from the city dump.  Never know when the cars last day will be so I don't want to drop any money in it.   

Its funny,  I changed the oil on this car every 3000 miles with religion up until 200,000 miles.  The engine is like new and the car is falling down around itself.  Now I only change oil on all vehicles every 5-7000 miles depending on the vehicle.  This Intrepid has the best air-co and best heater of any vehicle I've ever owned.  In the winter I drive it instead of my Rampage cause the Rampage never gets on road salt. 

Edited by Gtractor, October 13, 2016 - 08:35 PM.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#15 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 08:44 AM

No wonder the fan was out of balance!