• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 fyrfytr OFFLINE  

fyrfytr
  • Member No: 84928
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 03:54 PM

Hi guys first time poster here. I hope you can make sense out of this. I purchased a GTV 16 that seems to be in great shape and runs good. I came across a sleeve hitch model 486.24586 that is suppose to be for all craftsman garden tractors with 23" and larger tires with a model that starts 917. I had to order the brackets that adapted for my draw bar and everything mounted up great. I then came across a craftsman tow behind tiller that had been used on a GTV 16 so I purchased it and the PO gave me the sleeve hitch bail assy also. I got home and went to hook up to my tractor and the sleeve hitch on my tractor will not work with the tiller. It does not lift it high enough and the tiller sits at about a 30 degree angle when placed in the tilling position. The tillers PO gave me a manual for a GTV sleeve hitch, model 757.252312, apparently the GTV tractors had their own specific sleeve hitches. So now what are my options? Has anyone manufactured their own sleeve hitch or adapted something between the old and the newer styles. Does someone have a GTV sleeve hitch they would sell? As you can tell I'm just grasping at straws here trying to figure something out. Appreciate what ever input or advice you may have and thanks for reading my post.

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 04:14 PM

:welcometogttalk: :camera:

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 05:16 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum. I have a couple GTV's and one came with a sleeve hitch. Looks the same as other Sears sleeve hitch's as far as I can tell. Something must be wrong somewhere. The sleeve hitch for it is model # 917.252390.

#4 fyrfytr OFFLINE  

fyrfytr
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 12:12 AM

Thanks for the welcome. Kenny, I did a search for the hitch # you gave and it came up a grading blade. Could be my mistake. My hitch lifts the implements with a handle that connects directly to the sleeve hitch on the right side of the tractor and behind the operator. The GTV hitch lifts by using the mower deck lifting handle. It also has an adjustable clevis type connector where as mine is a solid piece of steel with holes drilled for adjustment. Also the bail assembly is about 2" longer on the GTV hitch.

Critters, "Thanks for your service in the MC".

• KennyP said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 05:11 AM

Sorry about that. Wrote down the wrong # to put in. The correct # is 917.252312.

If I can today, I will get out the GTV hitch and and add-on sleeve hitch I have never installed. See if I can spot any difference in them. Of course, there will be pics.

Edited by KennyP, October 14, 2016 - 06:20 AM.

#6 fyrfytr OFFLINE  

fyrfytr
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 08:32 AM

Thanks Kenny, The new # is the same as my GTV hitch # except yours is 917... and mine is 757...I can take some pictures of mine also if that will help. I'll wait to do that until I see what your pictures show. Thanks again for your time.

• KennyP said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 08:54 AM

Thanks Kenny, The new # is the same as my GTV hitch # except yours is 917... and mine is 757...I can take some pictures of mine also if that will help. I'll wait to do that until I see what your pictures show. Thanks again for your time.

If you could post some pics of how the tiller is setting, we might see something.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 11:23 AM

I dug out both the sleeve hitches I have. The original GTV hitch is 917.212312. The 'newer' one is 757.212313. The original parts are on the right in the pics.

Here's the hitches. I cannot detect any noticeable difference in them.

DSCN2205.JPG

Now the rockshafts. Differences here. The original has the third arm for I believe the electric lift. But the arm for the lift bar to attach is very different.

DSCN2206.JPG     DSCN2207.JPG

The links to lift the hitch from the rockshaft look similar.

DSCN2208.JPG

But the lift bars that go back to the main rockshaft are different.

DSCN2209.JPG

Here's pics of their Model tags.

DSCN2210.JPG     DSCN2211.JPG

• Alc said thank you

#9 fyrfytr OFFLINE  

fyrfytr
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 06:25 AM

Kenny, Thanks for the pictures. My sleeve hitch is newer and quite a bit different. The hitch yoke on my newer style is about 2" shorter, The rock shaft is more like the black one in your pictures, my lift link is a piece of flat steel with holes drilled for adjustment and I don't have the lift bars that go back to the hitch. Mine comes from the rock shaft over the right rear tire to where the operator can reach it. The biggest issue with my hitch is the attachment points for the hitch are so low that the tiller sits with the front way lower than the rear even in the down tilling position. You could never run it like that because the engine would not lubricate with  all of the oil in the crankcase run to the front of the engine. I think I am going to try and raise the hitch points where it attaches to the draw bar and then raise the rock shaft the same amount also. I don't know what other options I have since the older style sleeve hitches are rare and most who have them are not selling. Probably won't get to it for a couple of weeks or so. Thanks again for the pictures.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 07:53 AM

If you could post some pics of how your looks with the tiller, maybe we can help figure it out.

#11 fyrfytr OFFLINE  

fyrfytr
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 11:14 AM

OK I'll get some pictures up. It is a pain in the butt to hook up the way it sits but I'll hook it back up and get some pictures for you. Thanks for all of your help.

• KennyP said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 11:31 AM

Sorry about the PIA of hooking it up, but it will help see what's going on.

#13 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 343 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 12:55 PM

The first 3 digits in a Sears model # indicates the actual manufacturer. I believe 917 is Roper. Spokane craig's list has had one listed for a while for 150$ Don

• KennyP said thank you

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 02:27 PM

The first 3 digits in a Sears model # indicates the actual manufacturer. I believe 917 is Roper. Spokane craig's list has had one listed for a while for 150$ Don

Thanks for reminding me of this list. That 486 is Agri-Fab, not Roper. So if the tiller is 917 (Roper) it may be the issue.