• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jbohannon@sw.rr.com OFFLINE  

jbohannon@sw.rr.com
  • Member No: 84915
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 09:25 AM

I own a 3 year old Ariens lawn tractor model # 93606000/A175G42. It has a 17.5 Hp briggs and Stratton. My problem is rats have chewed the wiring between the engine and lights and I cannot figure out what goes to what. I have seen the wiring schematic but it does not give me good wire colors. The 4 wires I have a problem is the two that go to bottom of carb(gray and black) and the 2 that go up to ignition( red and black). I cannot figure out where these connect to. Thanks. Joe B.

#2 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 353 Thanks
  • 357 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 10:46 AM

Ahhhh...the dreaded mice!  From my experience with mice, they will chew the insulation off down to the bare copper and leave the copper wire.  This has always been done in spots in my experience.  I have seen them chew wires in half also.  Did the mice leave any insulation remains you can trace/match up?  That would be the easiest way.  If there is no insulation to identify the wires, you'll have to tear into your wiring harness and trace wires.  It's not fun, but it works.

I have also found that some colors of insulation apparently taste better than others...to the mice anyways!  :D

Good luck with your fix!

#3 jbohannon@sw.rr.com OFFLINE  

jbohannon@sw.rr.com
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 11:09 AM

Thanks Billy the problem seems to be that the wires going through a removable connector are not same color ? If anyone had this model with a pic of right side engine wires that would be great. Joe B.

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 11:16 AM

Like BillyM said.  Take a SHARP pointed knife and start cutting the loom open with the point up.  Go as far as you have to to get to the insulation on each wire.  Lot of times it is just as easy to remove all the loom or harness.  When your back going again you can hold the wires together with small zip ties or plastic split tubing.  Original type is also available.  Get mine from All Electronics.  Good luck and take your time.  You will get it figured out.

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,163 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 01:06 PM

Not uncommon for the color to change when going through a connector.  Work with one wire at a time, from one end to the other.  Repair/replace as you go.

#6 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 01:44 PM

20161012_135921.jpg I have 17 hp  engine I can take picture of the connector as soon as I finish lunch running a bit late today.

this is an older craftsman mower. I think Ariens are made by the same company

20161012_135525.jpg

Edited by jms180, October 12, 2016 - 02:13 PM.

• jbohannon@sw.rr.com said thank you

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,945 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 03:10 PM

Welcome to GTtalk!
Not really familiar with the newer models. I assume the two to the carb are for a fuel shutoff. Which should be feeding off the ignition switch.

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 03:53 PM

:welcometogttalk: One wire at a time

#9 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 05:03 PM

The gray wire should be the fuel solenoid. the solenoid has 2 wires at the solenoid one is grounded to engine. the solenoid ground does not go through the connector. The black wire is the engine kill wire and the other two wires come from the alternator. The alternator wire with the diode is the batter dc charge wire and the other wire is for lights( AC voltage). This is a Briggs engine without voltage regulator.

after looking at the wiring diagram for your model

fuel solenoid is a blue wire

ignition unit kill wire has black wire with white tracer

hope this helps and Welcome to GTT

Edited by jms180, October 12, 2016 - 05:22 PM.

#10 jbohannon@sw.rr.com OFFLINE  

jbohannon@sw.rr.com
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 12:26 PM

Thanks to all of you got it running !!  Jim thanks a whole lot. Once I removed the fan shroud I realized that what I thought was a gray and black coming from the fuel solenoid was actually the fuel solenoid and the kill switch. I thought I had 2 wires coming from fuel but as Jim said one was grounding under the engine. Thanks All But while I am at it since I bought this tractor new the clutch is very stiff in other words if I do not release slow or at slow throttle it will nearly pop a wheely. Gets a little better after it runs but still stiff. It is a gear drive. Any ideas.

#11 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 12:48 PM

the clutch petal release just applies tension to the drive belt. As belt tension is applied it turns the peerless transmission. I cant help you if there is any adjustment. I don't know. Glad you got wiring squared away.

#12 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,945 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 05:35 AM

The linkages could be out of adjustment or there could be something flukey with the drive pulley that causes it to grab quickly.