• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 11:35 PM

My garden is officially asleep for the winter.  Dug the last of the taters, pulled up lots of tomato plants that gave me very few ripe maters.  Short season for me this year.  Cantaloupe/melons did not make it full term.  Eggplants, not a one ripe.  Time to work on the garden, get it tilled/covered/fertilized for next year.  Winter came so darn quick this year, last year this time we were bouncing around 90 degrees, we've had several below freezing nights already.  Tonight/morn it will be below freezing again.  There's always next year!

• Alc, tractorgarden, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 04:13 AM

Better luck next time!

• boyscout862, FrozenInTime and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 04:35 AM

Your garden minics most of those who I talked to this year.
  • boyscout862, FrozenInTime and chieffan have said thanks

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 05:01 AM

Our garden results were a bit disappointing this year too. Got it all tilled under and ready for the winter leaf blanket. Around the end of November I try to till them in for composting over winter.
  • FrozenInTime said thank you

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 08:06 AM

I had the same, 15-18 'mater plants, not a single tomato ripened this year.

We did get a boat load of banana peppers that my wife let rot on the vine and we did get a few spaghetti squash and butternut. I had some beautiful corn after it righted itself from a wind storm, ground hogs wiped it out about 5-10 days before full ears on it. Green bell pepper plants got 4' tall, never a single pepper on them and hogs or rabbits chewed off my sweet potato vines and green beans. It was a waste of time this year.

• oldedeeres and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#6 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 353 Thanks
  • 357 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 08:30 AM

Hey Tahoe...harvest the hogs & rabbits and you'll have better results next year!  I can't give any advice on the wife.  I tend to make bad decisions in that department!  :D

• Rock farmer, oldedeeres, TAHOE and 1 other said thanks

#7 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 11:10 AM

Mine did pretty well this year, more potatoes than I expected considering that half a row didn't even come up! Got 250 pounds of spuds, planted about 40 tomato plants and am still canning the last of them. Only the four heirloom plants got late blight, the Celebrity were healthy. Cukes were basically a wipe out, lots of blossoms but very few fruit. Corn was good, also Swiss Chard. Onions, although not as big as some years did dry off nice and firm and are very spunky and sharp, nothing sweet about them! The bad news is I only got half of the carrot row in before the snow hit. Their tops are huge and bushy so I'm sure they haven't frozen yet, but they are under about 18"of snow. Turnips/rutabaga are still out as well, but they are OK in the cold, I'll get them.

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 11:47 AM

Had a so-so year.  Tomatoes we slow coming on but when they did they went wild.  About every body had more than they could get rid of.  We give most of our extra to the neighbor.  He has 3 or 4 single guys working for him so they can use a lot.  Don't plant sweet corn as we can buy it cheaper than mess with it.  Had a few Mellon that got ripe but rest stayed green.  To much rain.  Burpless cucs went wild and feed a bunch to the goats and roosters.  Bell peppers did real well also.  Potatoes produced about 150 lbs from 2 - 30 ft rows.  Onions were fair, didn't get as big as normal and tops dried up early.  Got about 40 lbs in an onion bag on the basement steps from outside.  Beans and peas were a waste of time - nothing.  3 plantings of pumpkins and not a one lived.  Couple got ready to bloom then rotted off at ground level.  Was planted on a hill also.  Just to much rain.  Cleared off the remaining plants last week and the goats had a field day.  Had 3 pails full of tomatoes that I cleaned up with a shovel.  Once it gets to September they don't have the good flavor so just as well get rid of them then.  Only canned tomatoes I eat are breaded and a sauce in meatloaf or stews.  Anything with chunks of tomatoes I steer clear of.  Especially tomato soup.  UG !  Will plow it up later after a killing frost to turn the few weeds under.  Fertilizer will go on next spring before I disk it and then till for planting.

Edited by chieffan, October 12, 2016 - 11:50 AM.

• grnspot110, oldedeeres and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#9 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 05:23 PM

Cleared the last of my mators & bell peppers today, shredded them & turned 1/3rd of the back garden (24' x 24'). I'll have more to do tomorrow as the prediction is for 32* tonight!   :wallbanging:

• KennyP and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#10 pick-to-stone OFFLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 254 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 09:11 AM

Omg my grandmother pulled about 15 pounds sweat potato's out of her garden but not to barg . but my garden at home did not go so well only got one good melon and about only got 5 pounds of green beans

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 01:04 PM

Hey Tahoe...harvest the hogs & rabbits and you'll have better results next year!  I can't give any advice on the wife.  I tend to make bad decisions in that department!  :D

I try, hogs run as soon as they hear the back door open, they are 200 yds away. Neighbors to close behind us so the rules out the scope and lead poisoning.  

I play the game every year with the wifey, she wants certain veggies; I till, plant, weed, spray, hill, etc and then she lets stuff rot on the vine, I refuse to pick it, usually cause it's stuff I won't eat :D

#12 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 10:27 PM

Omg my grandmother pulled about 15 pounds sweat potato's out of her garden but not to barg . but my garden at home did not go so well only got one good melon and about only got 5 pounds of green beans

I'd like to try sweet taters some day but they need a longer growing season, right?  I have close to 20 big melons sitting in the garage, they are not ripe but can be eaten, the center.  I'm seriously thinking if I get some time early next week and they have not rotted sitting out there, I'm going to juice them all up and try to make a water melon wine.  My melons are nice and sweet when ripe with great flavor so I'm hoping I can get a decent wine from them.  BUT, I've never tried that before, going to be an experience.  I figure what can it hurt to try, I can always dump it out.  I do a lot of home brewing beer so I should be able to pull this off, sure would like to be able to say I got something out of my garden this year, even if I can only drink it... LOL

• oldedeeres and pick-to-stone have said thanks

#13 pick-to-stone OFFLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 254 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 09:00 AM

No jest plant them with you taters they should come about the same time you jest need to water them a little more that's all
  • oldedeeres and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#14 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 11:24 AM

We have grown good ripe melons up here, about 350-400 miles north of you, usually the "Vision" variety, although the Sugar Baby type are really short season and do well here too. Not every year mind you. We get plenty of day light hours, but temp. seems to be crucial. If it's a cool August, we're hooped.