• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 11:40 AM

I am working on restoring a National Mower and seem to have an inoperable clutch. I can see the rod in the middle move as I squeeze the handle but the plates make no attempt to come together. Can anyone tell from the photo what is missing? This is the first time I have seen a clutch of this type.

Thanks.

Clutch.jpg

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 01:33 PM

Chances are that the clutch discs have rusted together. Try soaking with PB Blaster for awhile. If that doesn't work, you may have to disassemble and clean the unit. Good Luck, Rick

#3 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 828 Thanks
  • 473 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 01:40 PM

I'm not familiar with the mower but your clutch appears similar to a motorcycle clutch.

You've got four plates that are keyed to the clutch basket.  Between them and probably on the ends are plates that connect to the center shaft.  The ears in the basket slots probably won't move enough closer together for you to see them move.  Very little movement is needed to engage/disengage the clutch.

On a motorcycle there are springs that press the stack together and the clutch lever pushes a rod to unload the springs - disengaging the clutch.  I wouldn't be surprised on the mower if the lever presses the plates together - you have to hold the lever to engage the clutch.

If the problem is that the clutch doesn't disengage I think boyscout862 nailed it for you - the plates are stuck together by corrosion.  If the problem is it won't engage it's probably rust binding the plates with tabs to the basket and not letting them move.  Either way, you'll need to clean up the rust.

#4 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. All of the discs are loose, and yes you have to squeeze the lever to engage the clutch. When you squeeze I can see the central rod move but the plates don't come together. What is the central rod actually supposed to push on?

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 04:26 PM

How does this engage by pushing?  Lever go "Over-center" and lock in place then? If stuff is loose, I would take it apart, check for moving items, missing tabs, and the Big one....missing lining on some of the discs.  Would be nice to maybe try to find a manual with info for this tractor or similar one. Still seems to me it should be tight when stopped and pushed apart when operating lever like a bike one was mentioned, but could be wrong?

#6 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 828 Thanks
  • 473 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 04:53 PM

There should be some sort of pressure plate to squeeze the disc pack together.  If the rod doesn't turn with the assembly then there will be a bearing where it engages the plate.

Cannot tell from your picture where the pressure plate might be.  It's possible the basket itself is the pressure plate.

Do you know the model of the mower?  Perhaps we can chase up a parts diagram.

#7 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 02:30 PM

Thanks guys, The mower is a National 7E sickle bar mower. I would love to see a parts diagram of the clutch assembly. The basket is stationary and the operating rod fits through a hole in the center. I just need to know what parts are supposed to be in there. I am betting it is missing the bearing or maybe the pressure plate.

#8 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 828 Thanks
  • 473 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 06:53 PM

Not finding much.

If you're willing to part with 20 bucks you might do well to grab this: http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

#9 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 07:41 AM

Yes,

That has been on there for ever. I was thinking that I might offer 5.00 to have them photo copy it and mail it to me. The problem is that National has no parts available for items this old.

Someone must have used this same clutch on something. I just need to find it.