• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,720 Thanks
  • 4,446 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 02:42 PM

Measure the total length of the box(A) and divide that dimension by 2 to find the centerline of the trailer box. For each foot of total box length(A) move the centerline of the axles(B) toward the back of the trailer 1 inch from the centerline of the trailer box. That axle centerline is where you will attach the middle spring hanger.

axleplacement.gif

• KennyP, js5020 and JBRamsey have said thanks

#32 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 646 Thanks
  • 754 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 03:42 PM

Just took measurements using that formula and it's off 10" to far forward, they must have just put the tandems where all the heavy stuff was located.

Yea just read that again an accordingly its pretty close to the other formula I found.  In any case the tandem is to far forward.

Edited by js5020, November 10, 2016 - 04:09 PM.

• JBRamsey said thank you

#33 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 646 Thanks
  • 754 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 03:52 PM

OK did some quick research and from etrailer they say the center point of the equalizer hanger should be located so that 60% of the trailer should be forward of that location.  With that formula the tandem is 12" to far forward.

Edited by js5020, November 10, 2016 - 04:09 PM.

• JBRamsey said thank you

#34 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,311 Thanks
  • 760 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 08:52 PM

Glad you guys found those.

Too far forward makes it easy to start lifting the tongue when the trailer is loaded. If you've ever seen someone loaded like that on the highway it's pretty scary. Sounds like you need to move the axles.

I did some quick math and both a 12 and 14 foot box works out to be 58%. Close enough to sixty for me.

Axle centerline goes to the axle if a single, to the midpoint of the axle spread if it's a tandem and to the center of the middle axle if it's a tridem(triple axle).
  • js5020 said thank you

#35 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 646 Thanks
  • 754 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 09:34 PM

Glad you guys found those.

Too far forward makes it easy to start lifting the tongue when the trailer is loaded. If you've ever seen someone loaded like that on the highway it's pretty scary. Sounds like you need to move the axles.

I did some quick math and both a 12 and 14 foot box works out to be 58%. Close enough to sixty for me.

Axle centerline goes to the axle if a single, to the midpoint of the axle spread if it's a tandem and to the center of the middle axle if it's a tridem(triple axle).

Well on this particular camper all the heavy stuff would have been located just a bit forward so I think that's why the tandems are located the way they are

• KennyP said thank you

#36 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 646 Thanks
  • 754 posts

Posted July 27, 2017 - 08:27 AM

Well I finally got back to this project.

So far I have added 4' to the main frame for a bed length of 20'.  Added more crossmembers since the originals were 4' apart.  I moved the tandem back one whole position, was lucky the rear spring hanger was in the right location to become the mid hanger, and cut off the old front hanger and rewelded it in the rear position.  Also got a new rear bumper welded on, and also had to extend the width of the bed a foot.

I did the bed extension because we ended up buying 2 new quads since the original design that were a bit longer than the old ones and they were right out to the end of the trailer and I just didn't like that, so 6" of tubing on each side welded to the main frame and I'm happy.

One of these days I'll get some pics,,,,,,, hopefully before I put the deck on.

• KennyP said thank you