6 replies to this topic

#1 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 935 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 04:08 PM

HOLY CR@P!!! I thought this was gonna be a 2 hour job tops... boy was I wrong. I never messed with the deck when I bought this 5 or 6 some odd years ago because I didnt feel the need to spend a bunch of money for one more grass cutter. I have been using it for a snow plow and junk toter. I have this listed for sale and nobody wants to spend the money for a GT that doesnt cut grass, so I decided I would slap in a half a dozen Chinese bearing and a few new belts and fix'er up.

The thing has sat so long the belt had bonded with the stamped pulleys and they were junk.. no problem, I will just but 2 more. WRONG!! they have a fat spot on the bottom that acts as a bearing shield that most pulleys dont have. ( Tapered roller bearings BTW, more on that later). I thought I could use a 3/4 shaft collar to put in there, NOPE!! they dont make them 1 3/4 wide. The key is 1/4".. not the standard for 3/4 bore pulleys. Waiting on a machine shop to broach them out to fit.

Now for the bearings.. tapered roller bearings. The things should last forever, and they have probably been on the shaft for that long, they would not budge. I didnt want to try the press for fear of busting the cast mandrel housing, so I went at them with the plasma cutter. I cut out the inner race of the top bearing and picked out the rollers, then proceeded to knock the shaft out the bottom. I then cut most of the way through the inner race, expanding it enough to get it off. Now for the bottom bearing.. no way to get any kind of puller under it to pull it off... back to the plasma cutter. There is 2 dust shields under the bearing that ended up being a casualty. After driving around for an hour being a pest at all the local parts houses, I came to the conclusion that I wont be able to replace those and will have to try to reuse the old ones. (all that X3)

More fun with the bearings... I cleaned up one bearing enough to read the numbers and ordered some from amazon. They were "add on" items and they wont ship them unless you have an order of $25 or more, so I ordered the belt for the pto. It shipped from a "non amazon" supplier and the bearings were dropped from the order. I had to find something else I thought I needed to get the bearings. They were described as "set2" in the product listing. I expected that to mean a set of 2....WRONG. I got 3 bearings. That was good because I later found out the the center shaft was 7/8 and not 3/4. Instead of having 2 extra bearings, I was 1 short and needed to get 2 different bearing for the middle shaft.... and one more for the outer.

I am not sure if it was OEM or some guy decided to knurl the shaft, but the new bearings fit way too tight and had to pressed back on. 2 assembled and ready to go back on the newly painted deck... and that is another story. I went after it with a RAG and a flapper wheel, wire brush, scuff pad, etc and had it all cleaned up good. I hang it up in the lean too and proceeded to shoot some paint at it. Most of it came out good considering the poor lighting. After it had dried, I found a thin spot and grabbed a can of rustoleum to  touch it up because I didnt want to reload and clean the gun for a small spot. It didnt like the other paint and crinkled up. now it looks like the paint has been on fire.

After 2  nights after work, 2 full days on the weekend and close to $200 invested, I am starting to think I should have sold it "AS IS"

• Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 04:17 PM

Been there, done that! I haven't had to get into my deck as yet, but thanks for the warning!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 343 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 09:29 PM

What bearing is it you need. I bought a deck for my 6/18 and am in the slow process of rebuilding. Pulled one shaft apart and found bearing br16. Found a good deal on the bearings on the web and bought 6. I have been busy and haven't checked the other spindles. I may have some misfit bearings available. Don

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 05:23 AM

Your thread should be a 'Sticky" for those who want to follow your foot steps lol   .

#5 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,307 Thanks
  • 935 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 11:07 AM

The deck is re-assembled and ready to put on. The 5/8 x 100 belt I bought, that matches the one that was on it and the dimensions for the original part number, seems to be too short. I took the belt on the deck to match up for the replacement. It turned out to be the wrong size. It appears that the guy I got it from tried to get the deck going and bought the replacement based on the wrong belt routing. I didnt find this out until I put the 3rd mandrel in... and threw away the receipt. I now own an extra belt that I dont need.

I thought I had checked the PTO when I bought this one but I must have it confused with the other 47 I bought, because the wire had been cut and removed. Noticed I said WIRE not WIRES?? Yep.. only one wire coming out of the PTO. That means I get the opportunity to remove the front of the tractor to get to the PTO and I am betting that it wont just fall off when I get the bolts out. If I am lucky, there might be enough sticking out where I can solder on a pig tail.  

• KennyP said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 12:57 PM

I hope so! Mine rubbed through as it came out from behind, but had enough to make repairs. Watch how it is run when you fix it!

#7 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,307 Thanks
  • 935 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 03:04 PM

Spent most of the day putting the steering back in the LGT195 and noticed that it only had 1 wire on the PTO... that promptly fell off when I picked it up. Now I am not sure if it should have 1 or 2 wires. I have a clutch off of a Craftsman II that has 2 wires that looks similar. I wont be rebuilding the deck on the 195 before I sell it.