#16 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 10:02 AM

A pull off will likely look something like this,,,

https://youtu.be/5YiSeV-oeCM

Although the quad has HP and AWD it doesn't have weight so save the clutch/belt wear trying it.  Put the quad up against a GT and you might see a different result.

I had a disabled vehicle I needed to get into the shop this summer and it had been sitting for 6 or 8 months and it had sunk into the ground 3 or so inches, I hooked up one of my quads thinking it would yank it out,, nope started to spin all 4 wheels,  Hooked up my compact tractor and it effortlessly pulled the vehicle out at idle and in 2wd.  Quads can be great tools and are versatile but when it comes down to brute pulling they don't compare to a compact tractor or farm tractor.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#17 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 10:20 AM

I agree with everyone else that the tractor will be the winner in the contest.  As stated weight and gearing will be the over all judge.  I do think you were being a bit generous with the horsepower rating of the Honda.  I would think it would be more around 40 HP stock.

#18 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,320 Thanks
  • 1,112 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 10:20 AM

It all comes down to brute torque and weight. That tractor wouldn't break a sweat, while the wheeler is just going to spin tires and get pulled backwards. If the tractor can get enough traction. If the wheeler is 4x4, it wont matter how much torque is involved as wheelspin would most likely be an issue with the tractor.

Now, HP is a different scenario. The wheeler wins here, but will not help in a pulloff. The wheeler has the ability to go 60, 70, maybe 80+ mph, and keep it there thanks to HP, not torque;)

Edited by stiemmy, October 10, 2016 - 01:03 PM.

#19 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,321 Thanks
  • 4,668 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 11:10 AM

Only way to find out is to hook them up and drag his azz around on the 4 wheeler!   :D

#20 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 12:09 PM

The four wheeler thing is to light. It would just spin the tires. The cub would out pull the four wheeler any way you do it. Even if the four wheeler thing weighed the same as the cub, I would say the cub would win. Just my thought.

Noel

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 12:29 PM

Dad got one of our 2745 Masseys hung up in a ditch.  He had my son go get the Cat 910 loader, which weighs about the same as the tractor....around 14,000lbs.  The cat is 4WD.  I told them they were wasting their time, but they didn't listen.  I went ahead and took the Massey 2705 down there (2WD and around 12,500lbs).  The Cat wouldn't move it....just spun all 4.  Hooked the 2705 to it and basically pulled it out at idle speed, not even slipping a tire.

• MH81 said thank you

#22 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,312 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 01:41 PM

My old Bolens 1050 pulled a Yamaha Grizzly with a 660cc engine on the pavement.Pulled it no problem Up and Down the hill.Grizzly was in 4x4 low range.All I had on the bolens was a set of 55lb weights and 23 9.50 12 turf tires.You could tell it was back there but it didn't put up much of a fight.

He gave up once it started to Hop real bad.He had some big nasty ITP boggers on it but I think that's what made him loose.I had alot more rubber on the ground than he did.

• MH81 and propane1 have said thanks