• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 06:43 AM

hi all, its me again ! ha ha ! any tips on removing the exhaust on a 20hp onan, i have 2 wheel horse 520s the nicest one that won't go to work just yet has a exhaust  that has been welded the worker has a real nice chrome set up that i want to swap but don't want to make it a big ordeal doing a swap out, what do you think just some heat and cross my fingers and hope the bolts don't break

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 06:57 AM

If you can run the engine and warm things up, that helps a lot. Loosen the bolts while the engine is hot. If not, some type of penetrating solution for several days before trying to take them out. If you can get them to turn even a quarter turn and soak for a while might help.

• HDWildBill and farmer john have said thanks

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 07:52 AM

Smack the bolts a few good times with a hammer to help loosen them. If you can get the heat back on the block where the bolt threads in you will have better luck. Like Kenny says, getting the block hit could help. If you have to heat the bolt, heat it good and hot and them let it cool, Smack it a little more as it's cooling. The thought is to expand the hole enough that it will break loose when the bolt shrinks back down. If you're good with the trigger of an impact and can keep it from hitting full bore that will help. If you can turn the air way down it would be better. Just use enough to rattle the bolt. Maybe even one of those hand held jobs that you hit with the hammer. Any way you go, patience is the key. Also look at how rusty the head of the bolt is and factor that in to the amount of force you feel comfortable with.

• HDWildBill and farmer john have said thanks

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 09:19 AM

Smack the bolts a few good times with a hammer to help loosen them. If you can get the heat back on the block where the bolt threads in you will have better luck. Like Kenny says, getting the block hit could help. If you have to heat the bolt, heat it good and hot and them let it cool, Smack it a little more as it's cooling. The thought is to expand the hole enough that it will break loose when the bolt shrinks back down. If you're good with the trigger of an impact and can keep it from hitting full bore that will help. If you can turn the air way down it would be better. Just use enough to rattle the bolt. Maybe even one of those hand held jobs that you hit with the hammer. Any way you go, patience is the key. Also look at how rusty the head of the bolt is and factor that in to the amount of force you feel comfortable with.

Like this...

51Lgq16i3YL._AC_US160_.jpg

• MH81 and farmer john have said thanks

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 03:02 PM

I have had good luck with doing as listed above and one of the small 19.2v impact drivers and a socket adapter.

Not full strength, back and forth, back and forth.
If it twists off with that, it probably wasn't going to come out.
  • farmer john said thank you