skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 03:41 AM

You need to break ground, so get the first point in and get a trench started go slow and as deep as you can before the second one starts digging. Try not to let it dig in as this will mess up your starter furrow. Once the first one is in you should be able to re ajust the plow and set to business. Go easy at first and ajust as necessary to make sure its plowing evenly then you can step it up a notch or 2 and have fun.
  • Cvans and BTS have said thanks

#47 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 10:44 PM

Ok, I didn't bother with the weights on the three bottom plow, I borrowed my friends old 2 bottom trip plow and I couldn't plow with it either.       It is just to muddy, I started out doing fairly decent but then the tractor would start spinning it's wheels and dig holes. I canned the whole idea of plowing, I'm thinking about burning it off because the grass clippings are so thick and heavy. Although I do now know what the city will think of that since I am in city limits.

I got my self a disk yesterday, It's a International, I'm not sure what model, but I believe it's around 13 or 14'. The guy I'm leasing land from said that I can use it whenever I need it, he also said he will sell it for $200 and I told him I'll take it. It pulls really good, I made a couple passes on the 4 acres that is grass and it didn't sink in any. I have some wheel weights I'm going to pile on it and give it another try.

Sorry I don't have very good pictures of the disk, the first to pictures are of the friends plow.

Attached Thumbnails

• IH Disk 027.jpg
  • IH Disk 026.jpg
  • IH Disk Pictures 006.jpg
  • IH Disk Pictures 007.jpg
  • IH Disk Pictures 001.jpg
  • IH Disk Pictures 002.jpg

Edited by BTS, October 20, 2016 - 10:45 PM.

• Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#48 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 09:38 PM

I went to drive the 400 from my 4 acres to the leased ground, I didn't get a couple hundred feet down the road before I realized something was wrong with the steering, it was very stiff and the front wheels were shaking (flopping) from side to side. When the wheels were shaking I noticed the steering shaft was moving in and out. As soon as I noticed that I new exactly what was wrong and I limped it down the road real slow for 2 miles to my neighbors (good friends) house. I pulled it into her shed and pulled off all the sheet metal. I then pulled the cap off the front of the pedestal to check the bearing on the end of the worm gear and sure enough the bearing was practically gone. I called up the tractor salvage and they had a new bearing in stock, after a hour car ride I had the new bearing and got it installed in no time at all. However, I didn't get to harrow the 6 acres and tomorrow I'm going to get my wheat seed. I'm hoping to have a little bit of time after I get my wheat seed, but I will see on how it goes. I am going to Healy KS to get my Turkey Red wheat, it is a 4 hour drive one way so I am going to be gone about all day tomorrow.

I added some pictures of the 400 in the shop and pics of the bearing.

Attached Thumbnails

• Farmall 400 in shop 004.jpg
  • Farmall 400 in shop 005.jpg
  • Farmall 400 in shop 006.jpg
  • Farmall 400 in shop 008.jpg
  • Farmall 400 in shop 009.jpg

• MH81, Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#49 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 11:08 PM

Glad it didn't all come apart in road gear.
  • IHCubGuy and BTS have said thanks

#50 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 11:11 PM

Ok, I didn't bother with the weights on the three bottom plow, I borrowed my friends old 2 bottom trip plow and I couldn't plow with it either.       It is just to muddy, I started out doing fairly decent but then the tractor would start spinning it's wheels and dig holes. I canned the whole idea of plowing, I'm thinking about burning it off because the grass clippings are so thick and heavy. Although I do now know what the city will think of that since I am in city limits.

I got my self a disk yesterday, It's a International, I'm not sure what model, but I believe it's around 13 or 14'. The guy I'm leasing land from said that I can use it whenever I need it, he also said he will sell it for $200 and I told him I'll take it. It pulls really good, I made a couple passes on the 4 acres that is grass and it didn't sink in any. I have some wheel weights I'm going to pile on it and give it another try.

Sorry I don't have very good pictures of the disk, the first to pictures are of the friends plow.

I don't mean to sound rude but it will take a LOT of weight on that disk to make it sink in any or even at all.  In plowed ground that is going to be a good load for that 400 but it should handle it if it's not set in too deep.  To load it down where it will cut is going to have it nearly to the spools and if you could achieve that I don't know if the 400 would pull it.  We used to pull a 10' IH 370 disk in plowed ground with a 12' Case spring tooth drag harrow behind it with our M though.  Your disk is the same only a little wider.

Your 400 with those big weights should yank that 2 bottom plow all over the place.  If it's digging holes then it's set too deep and for plowing that sod you should have coulters on it as well.  If it is so wet that it just won't pull the plow no matter what then I would just stay out of it cause chances are it isn't going to grow grain very well.  How deep are you plowing?  5 inches deep is more than enough depth for plowing.  If you weren't 3/4 the way across the country I'd give you a hand personally getting things setup as it sounds like you might be started to get frustrated.

Edited by IHCubGuy, October 21, 2016 - 11:17 PM.

• BTS said thank you

#51 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 10:09 PM

I don't mean to sound rude but it will take a LOT of weight on that disk to make it sink in any or even at all.  In plowed ground that is going to be a good load for that 400 but it should handle it if it's not set in too deep.  To load it down where it will cut is going to have it nearly to the spools and if you could achieve that I don't know if the 400 would pull it.  We used to pull a 10' IH 370 disk in plowed ground with a 12' Case spring tooth drag harrow behind it with our M though.  Your disk is the same only a little wider.

Your 400 with those big weights should yank that 2 bottom plow all over the place.  If it's digging holes then it's set too deep and for plowing that sod you should have coulters on it as well.  If it is so wet that it just won't pull the plow no matter what then I would just stay out of it cause chances are it isn't going to grow grain very well.  How deep are you plowing?  5 inches deep is more than enough depth for plowing.  If you weren't 3/4 the way across the country I'd give you a hand personally getting things setup as it sounds like you might be started to get frustrated.

Thanks for the info, I'm hoping to just work the very top with the disk, maybe knock down the grass and roll over the grass clippings so things dry up a little better. I was talking to a friend about not having sod cutters on the plow and he said to come on over because he has a pile of them. So I will probably stop by there first of the week and see what he has.

• MH81, Alc and IHCubGuy have said thanks

#52 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 10:31 PM

Today my brother and I went for a 9 hour 466 mile drive!. We took my little '93 Mazda B2200, it's the only vehicle I have besides my old '81 chevy C30 which has bald tires, no lights and hasn't been more then 10 miles from my house in a year (good old dependable pickup though) I was hoping to haul 1000lbs, but I was going to see what it looked like on my little pickup. We got there and the guy said, yeah we filled it a little full, it weighs 1120lbs :wallbanging:. Luckily before this long heavy haul, we re indexed the front torsion springs and added air ride on the rear, he dropped the bag in the back and the pickup sat low but it seemed to pull it just fine, we ran 70mph the whole way home and the little pickup didn't miss a lick for the 4 hour 30 minute trip home.

The first picture is of the scale house made of a grain bin.

Second picture is loading the wheat.

The forth picture is of a building out in the middle of western KS, you know you are out in the middle of farm country when a building is graffitied with 4-H

Attached Thumbnails

• Hauling Wheat 003.jpg
  • Hauling Wheat 004.jpg
  • Hauling Wheat 021.jpg
  • Hauling Wheat 019.jpg
  • 4-H building Western KS.PNG

Edited by BTS, October 23, 2016 - 06:18 PM.

• MH81, KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#53 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 05:23 AM

That's some load you picked up ! Those air bags on the rear are handy . Had them on my old 94 Caprice wagon . Your tractors are cleaner then your truck ! Kind of like my car only your truck still has the paint on lol
  • BTS said thank you

#54 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 05:56 AM

I pass by that building on the way to my daughters in Western Kansas!

• BTS said thank you

#55 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 07:32 AM

I pass by that building on the way to my daughters in Western Kansas!

I should of had you pick up the wheat for me! :poke:   :D

• KennyP said thank you

#56 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 07:40 AM

That's some load you picked up ! Those air bags on the rear are handy . Had them on my old 94 Caprice wagon . Your tractors are cleaner then your truck ! Kind of like my car only your truck still has the paint on lol

The air bags seem to work great, the pickup gets washed once in a while but it's always wet here in the mornings from the dew and then the dust sticks to it on our old dusty roads.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#57 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 07:53 AM

I should of had you pick up the wheat for me! :poke:   :D

It's been a while since I have been out that way. Where did you go out there?

• BTS said thank you

#58 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 06:36 PM

Where did you go out there?

We were just south of Healy. https://www.google.c...d38.4531885!5i1

• KennyP said thank you

#59 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 11:10 PM

I got 4 JD weights on the disk, they weigh around 120lbs each, the disk is digging in pretty good, all was going well till I ran out of gas :(.

Going to run the drag harrow over the 6 acres tomorrow and then plant the 6 acres Tuesday (hopefully)

Attached Thumbnails

• Farmall 400 Disking 003.jpg
  • Farmall 400 Disking 004.jpg
  • Farmall 400 Disking 006.jpg
  • Farmall 400 Disking 005.jpg
  • Farmall 400 Disking 007.jpg
  • Farmall 400 Disking 008.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#60 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator