73 replies to this topic

#16 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 11:40 PM

I think the ground would dry out better with the grass standing rather than laying down.  Looks like a fairly flat piece of ground.  Couple of those concrete chunks might be needed to fill the holes where you planted the tractor?  You will remember that spot for a long time to come.  You might find that 4 bottom plow is a little much for a 400.  They were rated at about 38 - 40 hp and a 3 plow tractor.  Have fun with your new project. 

It depends on the soil and how fast you want to plow but I am inclined to agree.  My uncle used 4 bottom 14" JD's behind our M for years.  When we brought the M home we used a 3 bottom 14" IH plow behind it and it would actually do more acres a day that way.  It can be done with 4 but it's pushing it to the limit.

• BTS said thank you

#17 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 09, 2016 - 09:15 AM

It depends on the soil and how fast you want to plow but I am inclined to agree.  My uncle used 4 bottom 14" JD's behind our M for years.  When we brought the M home we used a 3 bottom 14" IH plow behind it and it would actually do more acres a day that way.  It can be done with 4 but it's pushing it to the limit.

I have also heard that the 400 and later models had weak rear axles. I believe they are the same ones used in the H's and they say if you pull to much you can twist one off. I never wanted to find out, I doubt I would have much trouble for the amount of land that I'm working with.

My neighbor (good friend) has a old trip 2 bottom plow, it has been sitting in the weeds behind her shed for probably 10 years. Her husband used to use it on their garden until he passed away. It would be to small for the 400 but it would be quicker then the single bottom on the Kubota.

#18 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 09, 2016 - 10:30 PM

Today I got the rest of the lot mowed (except the muddy area). I plowed up a square in the lot so I can drag the light poles in it and cut them up with a torch. I really don't want to catch the whole lot on fire, the grass clippings are so thick it really burns even when the grass underneath is green. I got one light post cut up, I have around 5 or so more to go. I did get the old electric poles pulled around behind the trees for now, I don't have time to get them hauled off until I get some of these other things done first.

How do you like my anti theft system? :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• FARM 016.jpg
  • FARM 018.jpg
  • FARM 020.jpg
  • FARM 024.jpg
  • FARM 021.jpg
  • FARM 023.jpg
  • FARM 022.jpg

Edited by BTS, October 09, 2016 - 10:33 PM.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#19 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 09, 2016 - 10:44 PM

I also got my self 2 buildings, they are tarp building like a greenhouse, they both came in last week on a truck and I'm needing to get them up ASAP. The big building is 30x40 and 15' tall, it's going to be used as a storage building for he combine, grain cart, seed drill and ect. The other building is 20x40 and 12' tall, it is going to be a work shop, we are going to plywood the whole inside and then blow in insulation and try to keep it heated and cooled. We also need to put up the 2nd high tunnel lots of other work.

I have no idea when I'm going to find time for all of this :(

(the metal framing on the pallets is the big building)

Attached Thumbnails

• Tarp Building 2.PNG
  • Tarp Building.PNG
  • FARM 476.jpg
  • FARM 475.jpg
  • FARM 499.jpg
  • FARM 500.jpg

• Alc, KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#20 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 10, 2016 - 09:10 AM

I have also heard that the 400 and later models had weak rear axles. I believe they are the same ones used in the H's and they say if you pull to much you can twist one off. I never wanted to find out, I doubt I would have much trouble for the amount of land that I'm working with.

My neighbor (good friend) has a old trip 2 bottom plow, it has been sitting in the weeds behind her shed for probably 10 years. Her husband used to use it on their garden until he passed away. It would be to small for the 400 but it would be quicker then the single bottom on the Kubota.

The 400 was a direct descendant of the M.  The 300 was the descendant of the H.  

The lineage went like this: H, Super H, 300, 350, 460.  The bigger tractor was M, Super M, Super MTA, 400, 450, 560.

The transmission issues came in to play around the 450 era.  The basic original "M" transmission was still being used in it and later in the 560.  The M was originally around 36 horsepower and now by the 450 they were feeding 51 horsepower through the same drivetrain.  By the 560 they were pushing 61 horsepower through it.  Almost double what it was designed for.

It was a similar story for the H transmission.  The H started life with 24 horsepower.  By the 350 it was up to 39 horsepower and by the 460 it was up to 50.  More than double it's original design.

When the 460 and 560 were put into service doing heavy tillage work failures started to become a big issue and IH responded with updates to the machines to change out some bearings in the transmission and differential to correct the issues.  Once the bearing changes were made most tractors lived a reliable life after that.  Machines that were early production that required the update had a triangle stamped into their serial number tag and were considered good.  Machines from the factory after the updates were equipped from the factory with the revisions without the stamp on the serial number tag.  The 660 was also included in this as well because it was still basically the M transmission however it used a planetary final drive to help bear the load going through the transmission.  In this case they were feeding 80 horsepower through the transmission.  Well over double it's original design. 

From the beginning of M production through 560 production there were many tractors that experienced axle failures when used year in and year out with a mounted corn picker as it put a heavy load on the tractor.  Mounted pickers are probably the roughest job that tractors had to endure.

Now our "M" had a Super M engine kit put in it back in the early 70's and the last it was dyno'ed it had around 54 horsepower.  Back in the 90's we had a clunk develop in the rear end of it.  Upon taking the top cover off we found that the ring and pinion case that holds the spider gears had every single bolt loose and the housing had cracked in several of the bolt holes and had put chunks in the bottom of the differential case.  So many many years of prolonged heavy use are detrimental to them and should be avoided if possible.  It's always a better practice to select a smaller implement and use a gear higher to get the same work done with less strain on the tractor.  

Not knowing the past of your machine and how it was used I would take it easy on it to start.  I would venture to guess it lived a life pulling heavy loads with those big weights on it.

Edited by IHCubGuy, October 10, 2016 - 10:48 AM.

• Alc, Cvans and BTS have said thanks

#21 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 02:36 PM

Just brought this home today, it's going to need some work but it should get the job done. It has one front spindle broke off, I'm going to either weld another spindle on or make it into 2 point. I will see what is easier. I paid $50 and it was only a few miles away.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3 bottom plow 014.jpg
  • 3 bottom plow 015.jpg
  • 3 bottom plow 013.jpg
  • 3 bottom plow 016.jpg

#22 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 02:50 PM

My advice is let it as a trailing pow and put a new hub and wheel on it.  2 pt plows pull harder that a trailing plow does.  I have a 3 bottom 2 pt for behind my 560 and our M will walk away from the 560 in the same ground and the 560 is a diesel.

It doesn't look too bad to me.  Is it a 14 or 16" plow?  By the tailwheel it looks similar to an IH #60.  Not sure of the model though.

Edited by IHCubGuy, October 11, 2016 - 03:07 PM.

• MH81 and BTS have said thanks

#23 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 09:29 PM

My advice is let it as a trailing pow and put a new hub and wheel on it.  2 pt plows pull harder that a trailing plow does.  I have a 3 bottom 2 pt for behind my 560 and our M will walk away from the 560 in the same ground and the 560 is a diesel.

It doesn't look too bad to me.  Is it a 14 or 16" plow?  By the tailwheel it looks similar to an IH #60.  Not sure of the model though.

I am not going to make it into 2 point, I found a hub, spindle and rims in my junk pile off of a old A/C corn planter that I converted to 3-pt. I already got the spindle cut off of the plow and I'm just needing to weld on the new one and it'll be ready to go. I also found a old tire for the rear wheel that is off of my Kubota.

The plows are 16", I hope this old 400 pulls it without much trouble. I'm not sure what model it is, but it looks just like a #60.

Thanks

• KennyP said thank you

#24 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 09:28 PM

Nice plow.
Have you ever used drag plows before? The pull cord, do not tie it to the tractor... especially the seat.
If the trip trips to easy, fix or find another, do not chain it to the tractor. Lots of pretzel plows in fencrows with short chains on them.

Take the time to shine them with a flap disc before use.
Paint or light coat of grease when done with them. Recently I heard of a guy who waxes his.
Whatever it takes to keep them from rusting.

I have no perspective on the Little Genius plows, we always had Oliver. Had one set of IH and gave them away after an afternoon of struggling. The guy was an old timer who bled IH red. He argued with them and eventually got them to plow right, but it cured me of thinking I was capable.
  • Alc, IHCubGuy and BTS have said thanks

#25 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 09:41 PM

Nice plow.
Have you ever used drag plows before? The pull cord, do not tie it to the tractor... especially the seat.
If the trip trips to easy, fix or find another, do not chain it to the tractor. Lots of pretzel plows in fencrows with short chains on them.

Paint or light coat of grease when done with them. Recently I heard of a guy who waxes his.
Whatever it takes to keep them from rusting.

I have no perspective on the Little Genius plows, we always had Oliver. Had one set of IH and gave them away after an afternoon of struggling. The guy was an old timer who bled IH red. He argued with them and eventually got them to plow right, but it cured me of thinking I was capable.

Thats a hydraulic lift plow Alan.  Post little genius era.  Only thing that is strange to me is it looks like it has older shares and moldboards on it.

BTS, does it have a shin on it that is separate from the moldboard or is the moldboard one piece all the way side to side?

• BTS said thank you

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 09:42 PM

Thats a hydraulic lift plow Alan.  Post little genius era.  Only thing that is strange to me is it looks like it has older shares and moldboards on it.

BTS, does it have a shin on it that is separate from the moldboard or is the moldboard one piece all the way side to side?

I wondered what that tubing on top was for.
  • BTS said thank you

#27 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 10:50 PM

Thanks for the replies, I will respond tomorrow when I have more time.

Today my brother came by and we got a new hub put on, it's off of a old A/C 4 row planter.

The neighbor stopped by yesterday and told me he has 6 acres to lease out for $30 a acre. I told him it's perfect so now I'm up to 10 acres! The field is only 2 miles away, (the 4 acres I bought is 5 miles away). My neighbor is retiring, he has a lot of land but it's all planted to grass (except the 6 acres).

I'll get some pictures up next time I'm over there.

Attached Thumbnails

• IH #60 Plow 011.jpg
  • IH #60 Plow 012.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#28 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 11:14 PM

Lots of good info being posted here. 

Another option is if you know someone with a sand or light gravel pit you can pull the plow through there until it scours. You get those moldboards shined up and it will pull a lot easier. 

The pull cord, do not tie it to the tractor... especially the seat.

Nothing like getting hit in the back with a piece of poly rope to make you smart in a hurry. Been down the road already.  :wallbanging:

• MH81 and BTS have said thanks

#29 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 05:49 AM

Congratulations on the new land and the seed drill.

• BTS said thank you

#30 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 10:27 PM

I believe the moldboard is all one piece.

Edited by BTS, October 13, 2016 - 10:27 PM.