#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 10:08 PM

I've been really busy lately, I haven't hardly had time to get on GTT to look around non the less post stuff.

Here all that has been going on.

The paper work finally finally finally finally went through after months of the owner dragging his feet and I am now the proud owner of 4 acres. This land is on the edge of Burns (in the city limits), it used to be the old bass ball field and now it's going to be a old fashion wheat field. I singed the papers yesterday and today I started mowing, we just got a half inch of rain so it's a little wet, well, a matter of fact it is really wet in one spot that I didn't see and now my Kubota is stuck there till the Farmall 400 can come rescue it tomorrow. The worst part about the land is the PO had the old light poles taken down and then he pushed them into a pile with a high loader along with some utility poles, tree limbs and huge chunks of concrete that the poles were set in. The PO asked me if I wanted any of it when I first asked him if he would sell the land, I told him that I had no way to load or move it and I didn't want any of it. He said "OK I'll do something with it". Well I talked to him the other day when I was signing papers and I asked when he was going to haul that junk out of there. He said he has no way to move it (as I'm staring at a huge high loader, semis and dump trucks on his farm), then he said "well I just don't have the time". So now I'm going to half to brake up a couple huge chunks of concrete with a sledgehammer before my loader can lift them (my loader lift over 2000lbs). I'm going to drag the concrete off to the side of the property and deal with it later.

I also got a new (to me) seed drill, it needs a little work but it will work great for what I'm wanting to do!.

Out of time to wright more, I will try to post more tomorrow night.

Attached Thumbnails

• FARM 543.jpg
  • FARM 555.jpg
  • FARM 564.jpg
  • FARM 565.jpg
  • FARM 566.jpg
  • FARM 502.jpg
  • FARM 503.jpg
  • FARM 504.jpg
  • FARM 505.jpg

Edited by BTS, October 07, 2016 - 10:12 PM.

• olcowhand, daytime dave, Gtractor and 13 others have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,508 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 10:26 PM

Yup, that's a wet spot alright. Do you think it will dry out or will you have to go around the spots?
  • BTS and chieffan have said thanks

#3 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 10:45 PM

Yup, that's a wet spot alright. Do you think it will dry out or will you have to go around the spots?

I'm hoping it will dry out, I'm thinking that if it's all mowed it will dry out quicker so I can start plowing.

I only have a single bottom plow for my Kubota but a friend says that he has a old 4 bottom that I can use with the IH 400

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 11:40 PM

Looks like a nice field in the making.
Wet spot is Probably where the old outhouse used to be...
:D
  • Alc, BTS, Eric and 2 others have said thanks

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 01:15 AM

You know the old saying, "it's not really your land until you've gotten stuck in it"? Well, it's your land now! Congratulations. I have a little J.D. drill very similar to yours, works like a charm.
  • Alc, BTS and chieffan have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 04:48 AM

Congrats on the purchase! Does look a bit damp there!

• BTS and chieffan have said thanks

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 04:54 AM

Glad to hear you got more land you were after ! As far as that old concrete some of the farmers around me made mounds to use as a loading docks when they got deliveries on flat beds . Maybe you can find other uses for it
  • BTS, TomLGT195 and chieffan have said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 07:03 AM

I think the ground would dry out better with the grass standing rather than laying down.  Looks like a fairly flat piece of ground.  Couple of those concrete chunks might be needed to fill the holes where you planted the tractor?  You will remember that spot for a long time to come.  You might find that 4 bottom plow is a little much for a 400.  They were rated at about 38 - 40 hp and a 3 plow tractor.  Have fun with your new project. 

• BTS said thank you

#9 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 11:02 AM

Where I grew up most farmers that had a wet spot that wouln't dry out would throw all their rocks there and work around it. You might try waiting a bit to see if it is a temporary issue, but you may have found a home for your concrete.

Jim

Edited by CanadianHobbyFarmer, October 08, 2016 - 11:07 AM.

• BTS said thank you

#10 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 01:05 PM

I believe it should dry out, the whole lot is lower and standing in water. I'm going to get the rest of it all mowed and then start cutting up light poles and wait for it to dry.

Edited by BTS, October 08, 2016 - 01:06 PM.

#11 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 02:08 PM

Are those light poles treated? Cut to size they make dandy fence posts or foundation skids for portable buildings etc. You can never have enough treated posts around, IMO.
  • MH81 and BTS have said thanks

#12 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,471 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 05:09 PM

Looks like a nice field in the making.
Wet spot is Probably where the old outhouse used to be...
:D

that's where we used to dig for old bottles
  • MH81 and BTS have said thanks

#13 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 10:55 PM

Are those light poles treated? Cut to size they make dandy fence posts or foundation skids for portable buildings etc. You can never have enough treated posts around, IMO.

The light post are made out of steel pipe, it's about a 4" pipe aprox 40' tall, there are 3 pipes per light post. Those poles have been standing since the 50's so they are in rough shape, a lot of them are rusted up pretty bad and they aren't really worth anything. I'm going to drag them out and cut them up with a torch. I already have someone that is going to come down and take the pipe for free. I just want all this junk gone so I can get my wheat planted ASAP.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#14 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 11:14 PM

I got just over half of the land mowed today, I was going to mow for another hour or so before dark but I got a flat on the front of the Kubota and I had to call it quits :(.

I stopped past a friends house this morning (he is a farmer) I was talking to him about my new seed drill and on how I need to get new packer wheels. He asked what style they were, then we went in his shed and he has a big pile of those tires new sitting on a shelf. He said I can have them because he no longer has a planter that runs that style.

I'm going to work on the drill tomorrow morning and get the rats nest cleaned out of it then I'm going to get started on mowing again after lunch.

The lot is starting to dry, there is no longer water standing and the tires on the Kubota were dry towards the end.

I'm hoping to start plowing on Tuesday if it doesn't rain again.

Looks like I'm down to the Kubota and the single bottom plow, chieffan is right, I think the 4 bottom might be a little to much.

• MH81, oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 11:35 PM

Depending on the plow, you may be able to remove a plow for the day to get it down to 3 bottoms.
  • BTS said thank you