• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tdrvr69 OFFLINE  

Tdrvr69
  • Member No: 84872
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 03:30 PM

I have a GT18 with a 60" deck, right side cuts about an inch or so lower than the left, how do i get the thing level again.

#2 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,527 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 04:11 PM

Welcome to GTtalk!

My guess is someone caught something with it and managed to bend a part. Now to figure out what is wrong. What I would do to level it, is with the deck on the tractor. Lower it part ways down and start measuring blade height off the floor. Prop up the deck shell to level the blades and then start checking for where it is off. Could be the rear rollers not level or up on the main arms.

Edited by shorty, October 07, 2016 - 04:11 PM.

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 04:11 PM

Check the Manuals Section for your manual. In general, alteast one of the support links is adjustable. If this has suddenly developed, you may have damage to the deck. Give it a close inspection. I've seen it a number of times where it hit a rock and bent the deck that holds the spindle(and the blade). Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill said thank you

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 04:56 PM

Welcome to GTtalk.  Like Rick said inspect the deck closely for any damage.  If non found then put the tractor on level ground like a carport or shop floor.  Take a measurement on each side.  I usually take the right side measurement first and then adjust the left side to match.  I have found each manufacturer has their own place they like to take the measurement from but in general you should take it at the same place on both sides.  Some manufacturers will give you a spec like 1/8 - 1/2" others want it dead on.  Once you have your side to side height correct then measure front and back height.  You want the front down about a 1/4 - 1/2" but again depends on Manufacturers specs.  Most owners manuals have the procedure and spec in them so like Rick suggested check our manual's section for you tractor.

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 05:41 PM

Ariens/New Holland attachment manuals are pretty hard to find.

1st check your tire pressure lol

I leveled the deck on my 1 mower then noticed the front left tire was a bit low.Got off and checked it and it was really soft.I put 15lbs in all 4 tires and had to level the deck again.

Make sure your lift assist spring is set on the rear of the tractor.It's the T shaped handle with the Chain hanging out of a hole above the Hitch Plate.It also helps to level the deck so it has to have tension on it.

Here is a pic of a 60" Ariens deck I highlighted the adjustments for leveling the deck.

157184755_ariens-garden-tractor-shaft-driven-60-mower-deck.jpg

The heavier 60" Fabricated deck uses the same lifting hardware as the stock decks so this should help unless the deck carriage is bent or twisted.

Hope you don't have to remove the deck if it's a fabricated deck.Those things weigh a good 250lbs.Had a Ariens S14 here and I had to take the deck off of it to get to a bad brake safety switch.What a HUGE pain in the butt that was.

Edited by EricFromPa, October 07, 2016 - 05:55 PM.

• DougT said thank you

#6 Charles G. Van De Sampel OFFLINE  

Charles G. Van De Sampel
  • Member No: 83224
  • 21 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 08:56 PM

I had the same problem on and off for the past two years after I cut a guys yard to help him out. Somewhere along the line, I threw my deck off

And I found this by accident while rummaging in the garage.

Get yourself 2.....TWO    -   2" PVC Water OR Electrical conduit couplings. 

Paint stick. Bright finger nail polish. Paint marker. You'll find out why later.

Measured length wise, they are 2 1/4" long

I have 7 lock positions. #1 being 1", all the to #7 which is 4" at 1/2" increments on my deck. 

#1.Make sure your tires are filled to the proper pressure

#2. Raise the deck to its highest setting.

#3. Disconnect or loosen the engine to deck drive belt. DO NOT touch the blade belts. You need some tension on these.

#4. At the DISCHARGE side of the deck, raise and secure the discharge cover, or totally remove it. 

#5. Now, rotate the blade tip so that it is facing you. 

#6. On the opposite side of the deck, reach under the shroud, feel for the blade and rotate it so that the tip, even though you can't see it, is facing you. Now take that paint stick or what ever you've got and mark the pulley . This represents the direction of the blades current position.

#7. Now take one of those connectors, and with it on its end, place it under the flat of the blade by feel. DO NOT LOWER THE DECK YET.

#8. Now do the same to the blade tip end on the DISCHARGE side.

#9. Now, if you can reach the deck height adjustment, watching the DISCHARGE side, lower the deck until the blade just barely touches the coupling. If your blade is touching the coupling and you're not in to a lock position, raise it to the next lock position.

#10. Go back to the blind side and feel for the gap between the blade and coupling. In your head , if you can, visualize what you feel. Is it a greater or lesser gap than the DISCHARGE side. 

# 11. Now take your wrench and adjust your deck until the blades JUST TOUCH the couplings. Remember the blind side is feel. DO NOT over adjust this side. 

# 12. Now, take a ruler, stand it against the DISCHARGE blade, raise and lower your deck just to see where your blades will cut at in the lock positions. 

IF you've done everything right, your cut should be dead on. Now all you need do is watch your tire pressures since they will cause your deck to go off level if they're low on any one tire. 

Let me know if this works for you. 

#7 Tdrvr69 OFFLINE  

Tdrvr69
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for all the replays, very good suggestions, i know 1 thing i did is mess with the lift assist spring, need to check that first, again thank, Rick

#8 Tdrvr69 OFFLINE  

Tdrvr69
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 07:57 AM

Another thing i forgot, is that i have to take the cable off the pos terminal when it sits or it kills the battery, where is the draw coming from?

#9 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,527 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 08:14 AM

Is your seat safety switch bypassed? That can do it sometimes.

#10 Charles G. Van De Sampel OFFLINE  

Charles G. Van De Sampel
  • Member No: 83224
  • 21 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 09:37 PM

You're pulling the POS cable?! Does it happen even if you pull the NEG cable? Check the ignition switch for a short. It may start and shut down normally, but it can have a short across two terminals internally without you knowing it. Remember, it's no different than any car or truck on the road. They all suffer the same maladies.