• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 salty OFFLINE  

salty

• Member No: 4266
  • 4 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 08:40 PM

I recently picked up a Gravely 5665. It was apart (came in several cardboard boxes) as it needed a clutch cone. I've replaced the cone (ouch! $$$) and buttoned it back up. Now I'm wondering about tires. I'd like to use it in the garden for furrowing, hilling, etc.. It looks a little low slung for that so I'm wondering if bigger wheels/tires could be fitted to increase clearance. I don't want to make it too fast though so am curious if anyone else has gone down this road and has experience to share. I'm sure I can find a way to compensate for the height when using the 50 mower deck. Thanks!

P1010510_zpsvvauok7t.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Clifford Bridgford ONLINE  

Clifford Bridgford
  • Member No: 71036
  • 334 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 08:24 AM

It looks like you have 6.50 X 18 x 8 dual tires.  Remove the duals and the tractor will work fine for plowing with the rotary plow and using a rotary cultivator. If using the standard cultivator with steels, hillers, sweeps, and a furrower, you may want to add a little weight to the front of the tool bar as the 12 horse Koehler makes the tractor a bit tail heavy.  Ground clearance is no problem as all cultivation is done between the rows and not astride them.  You have a good tractor.  Enjoy it.

Cliff

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 01:04 PM

I always thought that these were really cool

#4 salty OFFLINE  

salty

• 4 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 10:09 PM

"You have a good tractor."

I'll agree with that Cliff. Mowed the overgrown, soaking wet, lawn today with the 50" deck on the 5665. What a beast! "Only" 12 hp but sure seemed like more with torque to spare. Very impressed.

Greg

#5 salty OFFLINE  

salty

• 4 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted October 13, 2016 - 01:38 PM

Still no match for the mud but orders of magnitude better with the new boots. I took the split rims apart to clean and paint, found quarter size holes in the badly cracked tires, tubes in need of patches and leaky valves. It was easier for me to install new 18 x 8.5 x 10 tires that came mounted on rims (4 on 4 pattern). There was room to drill for the 6 bolt pattern so on they went along with the wheel weights. It's got enough traction that it throws me around pretty good when a corner of the blade catches up. I could add chains but might take a real beating then  ;-)

mud_zpsvvl4lf3o.jpg

• Gtractor said thank you

#6 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 03:36 PM

That does look like a handful.