Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Help me name my new Great Dane

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#76 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 09:08 AM

Shelters are the first place I look when I'm looking for a dog.  Another place is local vet's.  Some vets will take in animals and try to re-home them.  Personally I have found the mix breeds to be the best pet's, although I did have a full blooded Rottie who was the best dog I have ever had.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#77 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 09:19 AM

You could visit your local Humane Society and let them know these people are selling unhealthy animals. 

You might let the Breeder know before doing this as it could help you get your money back. It will also let them know that your not going away real soon. 

#78 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,858 Thanks
  • 3,195 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 11:32 AM

Up here it is illegal by Federal Law to use the word "purebred" in selling a dog (or any animal) without supplying registration papers, whether the buyer wants them or not. This is essentially your insurance that the breeder is on the up and up. It is also illegal to charge more for a dog with papers than without.

If you know the breed you want, but don't know how to contact a breeder it is often helpful to Google, for example, "Great Dane breeders in Texas", and a list of breeders or sources will come up. Not always foolproof, as there are scammers everywhere,(I hate to be cynical, but....) but it tends to beat CL. or kijiji.   Any breeder I have dealt with will suggest/insist that you take the puppy to your vet as soon as you can or within a day or no more than two, and have it checked out. This covers both you and the breeder and insures that the puppy is healthy. And, IMO, no puppy should go to a new home before it is 10-12 weeks old. 

I know that this sounds callous, but you are buying a product and investing what can be a lot of money as well as emotion, and trust in another human being that they are doing the right thing. Research is your insurance that your family will not be unnecessarily heartbroken. If I can help you Austin, just PM me, OK?

Edited by oldedeeres, October 17, 2016 - 02:40 PM.

• KennyP, Cvans, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#79 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 07:54 PM

And, IMO, no puppy should go to a new home before it is 10-12 weeks old. 

I agree 110%. 

Around 1975 I ordered a Beagle puppy out of Montana. Said it would be shipped by air with Vet. papers showing good health. When the dog arrived it was plumb full of tape worms. Must have been my imagination because the Vet. papers said it was healthy. 

#80 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 09:25 PM

I am very sorry to hear this! I know the pain of losing a pet. They are just like furry children...

I bought my Pomeranian from a breeder. Got him home he was good. Theb he started hacking and coughing and was lethargic. Took him to the vet and they said he had a slew of problems. Vet told me to take him to the breeder and return him. I told her to just give me medicine. Hand fed and watered him and gave him the pills. It was touch and go for awhile but he made it 10 years.

#81 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted October 17, 2016 - 10:12 PM

Theb he started hacking and coughing and was lethargic.

Almost sounds like "Kennel cough". Highly contagious and can be deadly if not treated right away.  Your dog was lucky to have such a good owner.  

#82 Austin ONLINE  

Austin
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • Member No: 78762
  • 506 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 08:37 AM

I really appreciate the support guys. 

I think honestly this is just something we're going to have to live with. We want a Great Dane so it's back to looking for one. We've been hitting up shelters but with two young kids it seems like most dogs are scared of the family. My son is pretty loud. 

I'm sure we'll find something in the next couple of months. Great Danes are expensive so I can't get another right away but that is the goal. 

• Cvans and oldedeeres have said thanks

#83 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 09:10 AM

Almost sounds like "Kennel cough". Highly contagious and can be deadly if not treated right away. Your dog was lucky to have such a good owner.

It was kennel cough. She said an advanced case. His throat was swollen as well.

I wasn't going to let the little guy die. When hr broke his leg the same vet told me to out him down. I changed vets after that
  • Cvans and oldedeeres have said thanks

#84 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,858 Thanks
  • 3,195 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 12:19 PM

I did google "Great Dane Breeders in Texas" and there is a Dane rescue site that may be of interest to you. Quite often rescue groups do not charge and the dogs have been vetted and temperament tested to be sure they are suitable for adoption.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#85 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 12:57 PM

Austin,
Just now getting back to the stuff in off topic and saw this.
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It's of little comfort, but you were able to give him a name and a home for his brief stay here.
The tongue and the tail told you how appreciative he was.

Prayers to the family for strength.

#86 Austin ONLINE  

Austin
  • Admin
  • Staff
  • Member No: 78762
  • 506 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 09:28 AM

Thank you. The way I keep explaining it to my family is we were provided an opportunity to love something and be loved in return. If he was going to die anyways it's a good thing he had us who could have shown him that love. That's more than a lot of people get. He died in my wife's arms. She's lucky, she's had very little experience with death, but this is really messing with her. 

I have an overabundance of it so I'm progressing like I should but both my girls had a break down last night and just started crying. All I could do is hold them and tell them it is what it is. I can't make this any better for them unfortunately. They are going to have to find a way to process this sort of loss. 

• MH81, Cvans and oldedeeres have said thanks

#87 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,136 Thanks
  • 1,205 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 10:00 AM

Sorry to hear about the loss of your new friend

Sadly without death there can be no living

And so with each birth starts a journey of taking and giving

Whether the time spent together is short or long

It will be a growing experience and make us strong

The loss of a pet is like loosing a friend

It creates a big hole that takes time to mend

Whether an hour or years the attachment grows

And with the loss comes emotions and water flows

If you shared in life's music and with the pup danced 

Then for that brief passage of time your life was enhanced 

And while it now hurts and life isn't as bright

Soon another chance at happiness will shine like a light

And when the time is right fate will once again take a hand

And allow a little bundle of joy to into your laps land

• oldedeeres and Austin have said thanks

#88 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 10:51 AM

Without meaning to pry and whether your family practices a faith or not, asking a local pastor if you can stop by and let the girls discuss it can be very beneficial. It doesn't mean you need to change your lifestyle or drink Koolaide, just that these folks have a long resume when it comes to helping people accept life changes.
When my Dad passed, my middle child and wife took it hardest.
They had had the least exposure to death as a part of life.
Kaylen went to our pastor and spoke with him. Karen toughed it out.
I would say that Kaylen has adjusted better than Karen has.
I know some people would say "it's just a dog". I disagree... because if someone truly loves something, it can be hard to deal with it's no longer being with you. Answers are hard to find and sometimes incomplete. It can take you off the rails for a while.
  • EricR, oldedeeres and Austin have said thanks

#89 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 10:59 AM

My wife had a dog that she had growing up and through all her surgeries.  When we were married Lady (Her Dog) was quite old and feeble.  After a while Lady couldn't navigate the stairs any longer and I knew the end was not far away.  So I suggested we go to the pound and see what was available so I could have my own dog.  We found a springer spaniel and brought her home.  About a month or so after this  I came home to find Lady had passed.  I agonized for the next couple of hours on how I was going to tell the wife Lady had passed.  When she came home and I told her she took it pretty well and went and said her good bye's.  But over the course of the next few weeks and months I could tell her attachment to Tosia grew and I believe Tosia helped her get over the loss of Lady.

I believe that having another furry family member helps in times like this not to replace the lost member but they help ease that pain somehow.  

• MH81, oldedeeres and Austin have said thanks

#90 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 12:42 PM

I have to agree with wildbill. There is nothing to take the sting out of the loss like a new cuddly puppy. 

• Austin said thank you