• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wards15 OFFLINE  

wards15
  • Member No: 84858
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 08:10 AM

I have begun to work on a 1972 Gilson/Wards 15HP 4 speed variable speed hydrolic lift garden tractor that has been sitting in a barn. It ran when parked and now has no spark. The points look good but there is a huge mouse nest under the shroud under the rope starter. I have the drive shaft out but the mount  for the drive shaft will not easily come off preventing me from removing the rope starter. I sprayed wd40 on the shaft between the rope starter and the d.s. mount last night and left it. Does the mount just slide on the shaft and just rusted on? I dont want to damage the rope starter or drive shaft mount with too much prying. It is an original B & S 15HP. I will post pics when I get a chance.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 10:09 AM

Welcome to GTT. That is an excellant tractor. First, download the B&S Repairman's Manual from our Manuals Section and then the manuals for the tractor. Second, trade in the WD40 for PB Blaster. WD40 is good for light lubricating but PB is better for freeing up stuck steel. You have to be very patient and use the right puller or you can damage parts. Some of the parts are hard to get and expensive. I've had to soak some parts for a week or two(with a daily shot of PB) before they would come off.

Post some clear pics of the situation and we will help. We are all in this together. Good Luck, Rick

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 12:36 PM

:welcometogttalk: :camera:

#4 wards15 OFFLINE  

wards15
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 11:30 PM

Sprayed the drive shaft bracket with PB Blaster tonight and took some pics. Engine is still mounted in the frame. I thought I could service the magneto and clean out mouse nest behind shroud without pulling engine. Drive shaft bracket is still tight on flywheel shaft.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1702.JPG
  • IMG_1704.JPG
  • IMG_1709.JPG

#5 jimmy G OFFLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 312 Thanks
  • 242 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 02:27 AM

That mouse nest is going to be a lot of work, quit trying to work on hard to get to things that are easy with motor out,shroud won't clear frame with motor in, gets worse, oil pan is part of the frame and has to be unbolted from motor for removal, good news is that is a well made GT and well worth fixing, quite popular too,I have two myself one hydro one 4 speed,the thing to look for on these is the V.S. pully, if yours still has it and is good it should be removed and greased

#6 wards15 OFFLINE  

wards15
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 07:53 AM

I'll get the motor off this weekend. After the motor is out can the drive shaft mount just pull off the flywheel shaft with pb blaster and slide hammer? The vs pulley looks good just frozen up. I was reading in the forums and its not easy to remove either. I was saving that for later after I get the mower deck working and build a sleeve hitch to pull a plow. for now I will work on getting it back running. This was my uncles given to me by my dad. Both have passed on. I didnt know the tractors capabilities. My dad would have gotten a kick out of seeing it pull a plow(Im buying one tomorrow off of CL) Thanks for your all advice

• KennyP said thank you

#7 wards15 OFFLINE  

wards15
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted October 08, 2016 - 05:15 PM

Its running again. Used jack bolts between drive shaft mount and rope starter wheel to remove ds mount. Used ds mount s a puller to remove rope starter. removed the 5 shroud bolts and tipped shroud away from motor enough to clean out most of the large mouse nest, Ill finish with compressed air. Armature has a bare wire it was shorted. Ran starter motor and carb cleaner down intake and it came back to life. Ill finish getting rid of mouse nest and insulate armature wires. I picked up the 10" plow this a.m. Good Day I can post pics when I get a chance. Thanks for all the advice