#16 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 07:22 PM

First the wife just called and said the 60w bulbs were $5.97 in the Watertown SD store.

You read it hear first!!!

A friend worked for the FAA as a maintenance supervisor. They had a bulb crusher for florescent bulbs and a contractor picked up the remains. He told me there is enough Mercury in one 8' florescent bulb to contaminate a 1/4 acre lake.  

Fortunately there is not that many 1/4 acre lakes.  

• Gtractor, HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#17 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 07:31 PM

Where did all this terrible mercury come from before we got our hands on it?

• Gtractor, MH81 and chieffan have said thanks

#18 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 07:43 PM

One thing that is kinda funny on bulbs now offered. Most are or were the shape of a reg bulb!  Flourescents put in side a reg shape dome to look like your old bulbs. NOw they are doing with some LED's. Heavy base on them and tapers up in heavy plastic, but has that round top bulb shape to finish it off, real element is just inside.  Just a marketing way to sell the new ideas and still be like reg cheap bulbs in appearance anyway!  I DO NOT believe the living for years claims on any of these bulbs tho. I've had so called "5 year" bulbs last a few months at my house, mostly in ceiling lights. Always seems one of the two in fixture is going out way too soon. I think those Flourescents don't really do well, unless vertical, not so good when laying over. Also hate the dim at first results, and late they are on full light. Many times in halls or small rooms you just go in for a few minutes, and out, they never really get bright as you would wish.

• tractorgarden and chieffan have said thanks

#19 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,679 Thanks
  • 8,881 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 08:08 PM

And just what are we supposed to do with them?  I don't have trash pick up.  We do recycle everything we can, bring it to town and deposit it in the recycle dumpster.

Gary, what county do you live in? If you serious, I can find out where your nearest pickup spot is.

• chieffan said thank you

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted October 05, 2016 - 09:09 PM

Have you had your eyes checked? Cataracts?

Exactly what I was thinking. Time for new glasses or at least different ones?

Ever try to clean those stupid things after a summer worth of fly poop on it?

Giggle.
I need a hobby.

#21 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 123 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 12:55 AM

Paid $18 for an LED spot for my flag, does a great job of highlighting Old Glory.  On all night, I figure it paid for itself in less than a year.

• Gtractor, Cvans and chieffan have said thanks

#22 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 280 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 02:10 AM

If you ever tried an LED you would never go back to incandescent.

Im not a fan of modern anything. Lol

#23 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 06:36 AM

One thing that is kinda funny on bulbs now offered. Most are or were the shape of a reg bulb!  Flourescents put in side a reg shape dome to look like your old bulbs. NOw they are doing with some LED's

GL, did you ever have one of those little bedside lamps that have the shade that clips on the bulb? What would you do if the bulb was changed to a different shape?

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#24 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 07:52 AM

LED Lighting

The operating life of a light emitting diode (LED) is unaffected by turning it on and off. While lifetime is reduced for fluorescent lamps the more often they are switched on and off, there is no negative effect on LED lifetime. This characteristic gives LEDs several distinct advantages when it comes to operations. For example, LEDs have an advantage when used in conjunction with occupancy sensors or daylight sensors that rely on on-off operation. Also, in contrast to traditional technologies, LEDs turn on at full brightness almost instantly, with no delay. LEDs are also largely unaffected by vibration because they do not have filaments or glass enclosures.

I'm going to start switching the 4' fluorescent lights , like in my basement  bathroom/ laundry room  because it seems I'm always changing those bulbs , I don't know if the newer 4' bulbs with the green ends don't last as long as the  older ones being switched on and off as many times as were in there .

#25 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted October 06, 2016 - 09:26 AM

I'm going to start switching the 4' fluorescent lights , like in my basement  bathroom/ laundry room  because it seems I'm always changing those bulbs , I don't know if the newer 4' bulbs with the green ends don't last as long as the  older ones being switched on and off as many times as were in there .

I use 6 of those over my fish tank. I switch them about once a year. Not because they burn out, but because the light value changes over time, and it affects the plants.

• Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#26 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 08:31 AM

If you use the LED bulbs in a 3 way circuit the bulb will glow dim when turned off.  Due to the built in leakage of the switches.  Makes nice night lights and cost about a dime a year to operate 3 of them this way.

The bulbs that are/were on sale are the Wal-Mart brand and only the 60 watt.  Guess several stores sold out or didn't order any of the sale bulbs to start with.  Sorry if I mis-led somebody.

#27 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,433 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 03:16 PM

We have LED for outdoor night light.  Had halogens but some were only lasting a couple years at 7.00 each. Now CFL bulbs I am very leery of after seeing what can happen if CFL contents gets into a wound

EFFECTS-OF-MERCURY-ON-A-WOUND.jpg

• Cvans said thank you

#28 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 06:26 PM

CFL contents gets into a wound

Now that looks nasty. 

#29 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,508 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 06:28 PM

Real nasty!

#30 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 336 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted October 16, 2016 - 07:11 PM

Ugly pictures of a wound mean nothing. If you know nothing about what caused the wound, how serious it was, how it was treated and massive amount of other information it is just propaganda. The same kind of propaganda that was used to get rid of incandescent bulbs. The story is that incandescent bulbs produce to much waste heat. In my house during the dark winter months when the lights are used I have no such thing as waste heat. Don 

• shorty, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks