• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 09:35 AM

There is a big nasty hurricane named Mathew that is hitting Haiti now. It is predicted to run up along the east coast this week. They can't tell how bad it will hit.

As an Eagle Scout, I've always believed in being prepared. Do what you can ahead of time, just incase. Have your place cleanned up and secured. Have a generator, fuel, 2 weeks food and water, extra building materials for repairs and whatever else your situation requires.

I started rotating my gas cans(old gas in cans into the van) one per week. Most of the gas was about a year old and is okay. One can is 2.5 years old and is only good for cleaning. Check your gas cans. Later this week, I will clean the empty cans and then get them filled. This time I will try to label them. We lost power for 10 days 5 years ago. I used 80 gallons of gas to keep the freezer cold and us comfortable. The food saved, more than made up for the cost of the gas.

If you may get hit by this storm, take some time to secure things that can fly around. I'm worried about my sliding glas doors and windows. If it looks like I'm really going to get hit, I will go buy 14 sheets of 1/2 inch CDX and a big bunch of 2x4s to cover most glass. The materials will be screwed together so that afterward I can disassemble and reuse the materials for a shed.

If you are in an area that is subject to flooding, pack up your valuables in old ammo cans that are air tight. You will find that photos are your most precious possessions. Store photos and negatives in separate cans. Have bug out bags for each member of the family(including the furry kids) and common bags. Evacuate as soon as you are warned. It ain't worth dying for your house.

Hopefully, the storm will do an oblique right and leave us alone. Be Prepared. Good Luck, Rick

• daytime dave, Gtractor, Bruce Dorsi and 12 others have said thanks

#2 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,518 Thanks
  • 3,393 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 09:46 AM

I'm going to start putting away deck furniture and garbage cans, buy gas for the generator, etc... Not a lot more I can do, but pray the hurricane driver steers it away.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Dane in PA ONLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 512 Thanks
  • 588 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 09:46 AM

Don't forget the toilet paper!  

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,513 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 12:03 PM

This thing could be nasty!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 michael.kitko ONLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 12:05 PM

I didn't know you were an Eagle Scout...thank you for reminder on the generator...I keep forgetting that one. Check it runs.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

Edited by michael.kitko, October 04, 2016 - 12:09 PM.

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 04:06 PM

I was in Biloxi for Hurricane Camille. I remember we filled the bath tub with water.

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 04:06 PM

I didn't know you were an Eagle Scout...thank you for reminder on the generator...I keep forgetting that one. Check it runs.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko

You are welcome on the reminder, we are all in this together. Have a siphon hose available to steal from your cars.

Eagle Scout is a family tradition. My dad made Eagle in 1931 and CPO, USCG in 1944. I made Eagle in 1969 and 2LT USACE  in 1975. My son made Eagle in 2011 and is looking at the Navy(we are near the SubBase).

Do not leave gas in your generator, allways run it out and then change the oil. Marvel Mystery Oil in your gas will leave a protective coating throghout the fuel system and combustion chamber. DO NOT TRUST stabil. I've had to rebuild several carbs for friends because they trusted it. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, October 04, 2016 - 04:07 PM.

• KennyP, oldedeeres and michael.kitko have said thanks

#8 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 04:21 PM

Not to jack your thread, but our younger son is an Eagle Scout and I was a leader in both Scouts and Venturers for several years. Wonderful organization.
  • boyscout862, michael.kitko and propane1 have said thanks

#9 pick-to-stone OFFLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 254 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 04:29 PM

Looking to getting my eagle I'm so close but make sure to cover Windows and get some sand for sand bags in case of some flooding and stock up on good food and I'm not here to jack up your thread

Edited by pick-to-stone, October 04, 2016 - 04:30 PM.

#10 michael.kitko ONLINE  

michael.kitko
  • Member No: 28357
  • 472 Thanks
  • 445 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 04:33 PM

You are welcome on the reminder, we are all in this together. Have a siphon hose available to steal from your cars.

Eagle Scout is a family tradition. My dad made Eagle in 1931 and CPO, USCG in 1944. I made Eagle in 1969 and 2LT USACE in 1975. My son made Eagle in 2011 and is looking at the Navy(we are near the SubBase).

Do not leave gas in your generator, allways run it out and then change the oil. Marvel Mystery Oil in your gas will leave a protective coating throghout the fuel system and combustion chamber. DO NOT TRUST stabil. I've had to rebuild several carbs for friends because they trusted it. Good Luck, Rick

Sorry to sidetrack, but tell him to make sure he thinks about it. They just abolished our rates in the Navy and there is talks of now making new recruits coming in the Navy go to the fleet first after boot camp before they send them to a school. It is a mess right now. If I may though, I am a proud bubblehead and honestly couldn't be happier in the Navy.

Mike "Squirrelly" Kitko
  • KennyP, boyscout862 and pick-to-stone have said thanks

#11 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 04:54 PM

no need to worry its a bunch of hype by the weather channel

#12 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 05:42 PM

Great!  Now the stores will be out of bread & Milk again!! :(

• shorty said thank you

#13 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 06:48 PM

Not to jack your thread, but our younger son is an Eagle Scout and I was a leader in both Scouts and Venturers for several years. Wonderful organization.

Congratulations to all of your family. The trail to Eagle is a great adventure and should have been alot of fun for all involved. Good Luck, Rick

• oldedeeres and michael.kitko have said thanks

#14 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 06:51 PM

Looking to getting my eagle I'm so close but make sure to cover Windows and get some sand for sand bags in case of some flooding and stock up on good food and I'm not here to jack up your thread

Make sure that you finish it with plenty of time to spare. There is often problems that come up as you get near the board of review. Give yourself time. Good Luck, Rick

• michael.kitko said thank you

#15 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 07:24 PM

It looks like this one will miss us in Ohio. We got slammed by Katrina then Ivan back to back. Dad got flooded twice in 2 weeks.

Being in Ohio you don't think hurricanes would be a problem but when they push in land we can get clipped or nailed by the storm. Dad happens to live in an area that takes a huge amount of rain in a short time to flood him but it does happen occasionally.