Tilling for Hire

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bosbar OFFLINE  

• Member No: 55683
  • 11 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 07:13 AM

After 10 yrs. of waiting, I finally bought a loader for my JD 2305.( I know, it comes with a loader but, I chose other options at the time I bought it. Bought a tiller.)

While I was at it, I bought a trailer to haul it around on.

Now for the question, I love playing on my tractor, ( I'm retired ). I thought about taking on some small tilling jobs. Question is, I have no idea what to charge people for tilling. For you guys that do this on a regular basis, what do you charge?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,758 Thanks
  • 4,264 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 07:20 AM

Have to check around and see what people are willing to pay.  That loader will get in the way real fast tilling gardens.  Starting place would be figure what it cost you to run it for an hour and double that, then add your labor.  If it cost you $3 an hour to run it, start with $6/hr and add another
$12 for your time + trip expense.

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,488 Thanks
  • 7,359 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 07:37 AM

It also depends on the soil conditions. If the soil is rocky or its a new garden there is going to be alot more wear on your machine. In your price you have to consider all costs.

I wouldn't do it around here. The license and state fees as well as liability, make small businesses too risky in CT. Good Luck, Rick

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,494 Thanks
  • 6,369 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 07:38 AM

Too pretty to get dirty!!  I was wondering about loader being in way more too, specially in a tight turn area if folks have trees or fences or such around the gardens. Plus the extra weight out front. Would think that tiller for the tractor must be pretty wide, shouldn't take many passes! :smilewink:

#5 bosbar OFFLINE  

• Member No: 55683
  • 11 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 08:32 AM

It's a 4' tiller. Just raise the bucket, and you can see just fine.

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,137 Thanks
  • 2,269 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 09:30 AM

I just borrowed a 4 foot tiller to use behind my Massey to work up and area in which I wanted to plant grass.  I had about 2000 SF of area tilled in under 30 minutes.  Probably more like 15 or 20.  This was virgin ground, never been worked up before.  You may want to think about flat rate and not hourly.  Perhaps a "by the square foot" type of thing.

Edited by David Brown, October 04, 2016 - 09:32 AM.

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,385 Thanks
  • 3,807 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 10:57 AM

You'll have to have a minimum charge because most of the time you'll have more time/effort in getting there and unloading/loading/chaining down than the actual till time.

• Cvans said thank you

#8 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 460 Thanks
  • 307 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 12:13 PM

When I till with my cc 782 and 42" tiller its a minimum of $50.  I figure the price by walking the length and with if where they want tilled and compare it to the length of my truck.  If its approx. the same as the truck its about 19 feet square and if its bigger I adjust the price accordingly.  It's worked out pretty good for me so far doing it that way.  Only ever had 1 person complain and I knew he would but did it anyway because he's a relative and my grandpa asked me to till it for him.  The $50 will cover about 3/4 the price of a new mule belt for my tiller which the last time I bought one was around $75 and if people seemed shocked by my prices I point out the cost of a few parts to replace that could possibly break while I'm using it at there place.                Stewart

• Cvans said thank you