• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kws OFFLINE  

kws
  • Member No: 84838
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 05:11 AM

I believe I have a 1970s s24. The rear end is locked up, tires won't turn. Any thoughts on why? Shifter moves, don't know gear pattern. Tried dragging tractor, still locked.

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,945 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 05:23 AM

Welcome to GTtalk!
I don't know much about your tractor. More knowledgeable people will be along soon.

Possible that a worn shifter would let it get locked in two gears, or a broken tooth got stuck.

Edited by shorty, October 04, 2016 - 05:26 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 05:30 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !  Don't know anything about your tractor but you might try jacking up the rear and try turning a wheel and if it does the other might turn the opposite  direction because of the rears differential .  I bought a tractor the a wouldn't move , a bearing in the transmission was rusted fast . Good Luck   

• shorty and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 852 Thanks
  • 489 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 06:21 AM

There are a number of things it could be.  Kind of hard to diagnose without hands on.  You need to jack up the rear end to narrow it down.

1) With the wheels off the ground try turning the right wheel.  If the differential and axles are not seized it should turn and the left wheel should turn in the opposite direction.

2) If the wheels turn then check the brake mechanism at the top of the bull gear (differential) on the left side of the axle.  Your tractor should have a band brake and I can see that easily getting stuck to a rusted drum.  It has enough mechanical advantage over the axle that you'll never break it free trying to drag the tractor.

Let us know what you find and we can go from there.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 06:41 AM

Yes, start with that brake band being rusted on the center hub. These are pretty simple/crude drives and only have bushings on outside axle ends, check for wet grease there, and might be water in the gear case, not real weather tight. Water in there, means rusted up gears. Remove the tin cover on outside of that big gear case and you should be able to see quite a bit and the center differential set up too, which is Inside the big bull gear. Keep in mind these are crude rough cut gears when new and only get smooth thru wearing on each other. That small bull pinion on top has a bushing in it also, make sure it is wet and free.

• Gtractor, Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 10:19 AM

The center notch is neutral