Looking at Sub compacts

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11127
  • 1,325 Thanks
  • 1,509 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 07:25 PM

Good evening everyone been quite some time since I've posted anything. Hope all is well with you all. Lately I have been thinking about possibly purchasing a Sub compact. Right now i've been set on a Kubota but im open to just about anything. Mainly it will be used to mow with and I would really like to have a loader on the front and might be looking into a snow blower as well. Must have a cab. Thoughts and opinions? Any help and info is appreciated :wave:  :thumbs:  

#2 tater195 OFFLINE  

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,252 Thanks
  • 891 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 07:32 PM

I bought a Mahindra E-Max 25 with loader and 60" deck about a month ago and really like it. I have over 40 hours on it already. 25 hp diesel hydro. Priced a little less than the Kubotas.They do make a cab for these, but I have not priced one. 7 year powertrain waranty

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#3 Eric OFFLINE  

• Member No: 41778
  • 926 Thanks
  • 645 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 07:48 PM

I have always thought for what you pay for them you might as well step up a class, everyone I have talked to that bought one always wishes they had more tractor. They look nice but seem like glorified lawn mowers with new car prices to me. You can always use a bigger tractor for less but cannot use a smaller unit for more. Good luck and hope you get everything your looking for.

#4 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,860 Thanks
  • 3,105 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 08:24 PM

One thing to look at is, Is the dealer close to me and do they provide good service and parts. No sense buyin something ya can't get service or parts for it, no matter what brand you chose. Just my opinion, others may differ.

• boyscout862 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#5 tater195 OFFLINE  

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,252 Thanks
  • 891 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 08:27 PM

All I need is a small tractor. It manuvers better than larger units and can haul around my 1000# bale of cardboard that I use for an archery target. It is light enough to not make ruts while mowing when the ground is soft

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 08:43 PM

My neighbor has a KabotaBX25 and I m impressed with what it will do. think they are all good and most importand is the dealer.

I have a JD dealer 12 miles away.Kubota 40 miles away , New  Holland 15 miles and Massey 50 miles.

To me it would depend on who offered the best deal.

#7 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11127
  • 1,325 Thanks
  • 1,509 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 09:28 PM

Thank you all for the responses so far. I have several dealers somewhat close to me. I believe the closest would be mahindra. Kubota is about 40 minutes away and new holland is about an hour. I was looking at the kubota b3000 cab which is a tab bit bigger than the BX25. Something I can use for an every day chore if need be. A loader would definitely be very very hand and something I can use year round.  

• propane1 said thank you

#8 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,398 Thanks
  • 4,609 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 04:23 AM

Do you have a Yanmar dealer anywhere close?

http://www.yanmartra...model=SA Series

Yanmar doesn't seem to have the name recognition as some of the others, but the early Deere compacts (650,750,850) were all Yanmar tractors with a bit different sheet metal and painted green.

• Alc and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#9 bosbar OFFLINE  

• Member No: 55683
  • 11 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 06:56 AM

I have a JD 2305 Sub Compact. It's a 24 hp. tractor with a Yanmar motor. I've had mine for 10 yrs. and the only thing I've had to replace is the belt on the mower deck.

If you want a cab, build your own. It's a lot cheaper. (check prices on the Interweb) I built the frame out of PVC pipe and then took to my local boat cover maker and had him cover it for me. It works great for half the price.

• Alc, KennyP, sodisr and 4 others have said thanks

#10 sodisr OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9153
  • 648 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 10:55 AM

bosbar   ,,, That cover looks great..!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

• Member No: 48806
  • 899 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 09:19 AM

That is a fantastic looking cab. Well done!

#12 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 84
  • 705 Thanks
  • 576 posts

Posted October 14, 2016 - 04:34 AM

I looked at all models and narrowed my decision down to J.D., Kubota, and Massey Ferguson. Then I felt out each dealer to see who treated me the best. The J.D. dealers didn't listen to a word I was saying about my price range, what model I wanted, what attachments I was looking for, and they basically gave a price I couldn't afford and didn't care to budge a penny to make a deal. Kubota dealer was ok, but they were actually priced a tad higher than the J.D. and I couldn't afford the JD so the kubota was out also, The Massey dealer jumped through hoops, made me a sweet deal and offered mobile service right in my garage. No other dealer offered that! My Massey has had a few minor problems and they drive to your house with a repair truck and fix it in your garage. To me that is a huge help, especially in winter when trailering the tractor would be a pain! My Massey GC2600 has a 60" mid mount mower, FEL, and 60" rear blower. It has plenty of power and performs awesome! I went from a cub cadet GT to the Massey sub compact.  I couldn't believe the difference between the 2. The cub felt like a toy, and the Massey felt like a tank. But now that I've had the Massey for 7yrs, like someone said above, you'll buy a sub compact and wish you went with a compact down the road. That is where I'm at now! LOL!

• Alc said thank you