• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 KA1J OFFLINE  

KA1J
  • Member No: 84822
  • 7 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 06:35 PM

There is too much slop in the steering wheel. I can turn the wheel maybe 2" before it locks in and becomes tight, to move the front tires, to steer. I at first thought I might adjust the steering rod but the slop happens before it moves the rod. There is no resistance to this slop, an infant touching it would move it till it comes to the end of play. Perhaps there is a gear that is worn or the steering wheel shaft has pulled up, out of a gear somewhat and that is the cause of this slop.

I can't find any info how to tighten the steering column to remove this slop. If this is possible to do without replacing the steering gear, how do I do that?

Any pointers, suggestions, links?

Thanks

Gary

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 06:59 PM

Welcome to GTT. Try to find the manual in our Manuals Section. You are going to have to look under the tractor where the gears are and then all of the linkage. Some times a bolt is loose or a tie rod end is worn. I try our sponsors if the gears are shot. Good Luck, Rick

• KA1J said thank you

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,325 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 07:59 PM

Try tightening the 2 Bolts on the Draglink.1 on the top of the Left spindle and the other Under the tractor on the bottom of the steering sector gear.

Here Pics.

Tighten these 2 bolts up pretty tight.Not super tight though don't want to snap them of.

Untitled.jpg

Here's the Draglink.

s-l1600.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 KA1J OFFLINE  

KA1J
  • 7 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I was under there this afternoon and it seemed like the ball joints are worn a bit, I wanted to tighten them down but wasn't sure about the proper way to do this. In exploring for what I could find, I discovered where the part that is attached to the steering rod (Sector gear assembly?) does not move much when the wheel is turned & there's no friction. This makes me think the gear at the end of the steering shaft might be worn. I found a not very detailed manual that covers a lot of Bolens tractors and it said if the gear at the end of the shaft is bad, the shaft needs replacing. That might be not so easy to find. However, I'll certainly try the ideas suggested above and will try to remove the shaft if that doesn't fix the issue.

Fingers crossed and thanks!

Gary

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,325 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 08:50 PM

Might be time to look for a parts tractor or 2 or 20 lol.

You can never have enough parts if you have the room to put them.

• KA1J said thank you

#6 KA1J OFFLINE  

KA1J
  • 7 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 09:12 PM

No doubt!

Not that much room I can store things here, the back yard is filling up and I already have three cycles in the garage...

I was looking on the manual I downloaded a couple days ago and it has no part numbers. It's less helpful than one of my old Yamaha Service manuals... But it mentioned Bolens / Troy-Bilt at the top. With that I did some searching and found some steering rods that might fit. I don't know the Bolens part # so I can't cross reference it. But I found 738-0919 MTD and 738-0919A steering shafts available, any idea if those #'s match my ST110 3011G tractor? It'd be good if it is a common part! ;)

I suppose what would be good would be to know the part number of the steering shaft so I can look that up myself.

I looked through the manuals here for download but only 4 fit the suburban series and they related to the mower deck, not the tractor itself. O'course I probably overlooked the obvious and it was right there looking at me all the time...

Edited by KA1J, October 03, 2016 - 09:18 PM.

#7 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 944 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 10:13 PM

The steering shaft assembly is part # 1751284. The same steering shaft fits all Bolens ST Series tractors (ST100,ST110,ST120,ST140,ST180 etc.)

Visually inspect the steering shaft gear and sector gear for wear. It will usually be very visable if there is a problem there. Check the steering arm that attaches (clamps) to the steering sector gear for slop. It could very well be loose here.

Attached Thumbnails

• SmartSelectImage_2016-10-03-23-10-01.png

Edited by ClassicBolens, October 03, 2016 - 10:14 PM.

• boyscout862, 29 Chev and KA1J have said thanks

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,325 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 12:27 AM

Here is 3010G Parts manual.Should have all the part numbers you'll need.

Just added it to the Bolens manuals library.

http://gardentractor...olens-st-3010g/

• boyscout862 and KA1J have said thanks

#9 KA1J OFFLINE  

KA1J
  • 7 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 07:33 AM

Thanks for that, this will be a big help!

Cheers!

#10 KA1J OFFLINE  

KA1J
  • 7 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 04:29 PM

Just bought ball joints for this ST110; Bolens  #1716180 1/2-20 thread at the local Husqvarna. dealer. Matched them size for size and they were the largest ones he carried, so I lucked out and the Bolens is built with thicker and bigger materials than their husqvarnas I guess.

installed them, tightened everything in the steering system  and the steering was a bit tighter but it is obvious there is some wear on the gears. So I'll have to hope to find a NOS steering shaft & mating gear. Not something that has to be done right away, I just want to keep the handling as reliable as possible.

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 02:02 PM

Just bought ball joints for this ST110; Bolens  #1716180 1/2-20 thread at the local Husqvarna. dealer. Matched them size for size and they were the largest ones he carried, so I lucked out and the Bolens is built with thicker and bigger materials than their husqvarnas I guess.

installed them, tightened everything in the steering system  and the steering was a bit tighter but it is obvious there is some wear on the gears. So I'll have to hope to find a NOS steering shaft & mating gear. Not something that has to be done right away, I just want to keep the handling as reliable as possible.

Is this the same tractor with a bigger engine? http://hartford.crai...5802061737.html  IF it hasn't sold you should be able to get it cheaper. Good Luck, Rick

• KA1J said thank you

#12 KA1J OFFLINE  

KA1J
  • 7 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 07, 2016 - 11:21 PM

Is this the same tractor with a bigger engine? http://hartford.crai...5802061737.html  IF it hasn't sold you should be able to get it cheaper. Good Luck, Rick

Sure looks like it, I just sent him an email. Thanks! It would be awesome to find one of the really large engine variety but a parts supply will be fantastic if I can get it. The one I have now, the 110 works great but as soon as something major breaks its DOA till I can cobble a replacement part. I just bought a decent 17 CU foot trailer that is going to be just perfect. Almost the same ivory white color too. Have green & white paint & Orange for the tire weights to repaint/touch up the Bolens. Hoping to make it as new. Not looking to do a true resto on it, just to get it looking as new. Just ordered a decent looking volt and amp meter pair for it and it looks like the seat on this one is much nicer than the one I have. So fingers crossed and thanks for the heads up!

Edited by KA1J, October 07, 2016 - 11:22 PM.

#13 KA1J OFFLINE  

KA1J
  • 7 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 09, 2016 - 01:20 AM

It turns out this is a Hydrostatic Bolens. The ST110 I have, is not. I want to get replacement parts to swap from one to the other. Is the Actual PTO mechanism the same or is it different between them? In other words, are the majority of components exchangeable? 

Its a long drive to pick up this ST120, are most of the components interchangeable with my ST110? Probably not worth my time if I can't use much from the ST112.

Ideas appreciated.

#14 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted October 09, 2016 - 09:20 AM

It turns out this is a Hydrostatic Bolens. The ST110 I have, is not. I want to get replacement parts to swap from one to the other. Is the Actual PTO mechanism the same or is it different between them? In other words, are the majority of components exchangeable? 

Its a long drive to pick up this ST120, are most of the components interchangeable with my ST110? Probably not worth my time if I can't use much from the ST112.

Ideas appreciated.

Download the parts manuals for both and compare. You might find that you like the hydrostatic drive better. Good Luck, Rick

#15 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 944 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 09, 2016 - 09:21 AM

The ST120 pictured in the Craigslist ad is definitely not a hydrostat model. You can see the 5 speed gear selector in this picture:00f0f_gESixd6wD6y_1200x900.jpg

The ST120 shares many major parts with your ST110, including the electric PTO clutch, front axle assembly, steering parts including the steering shaft and sector gear, and many other parts. Although the ST120 looks pretty rough, it would likely be a good buy for the parts alone.
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you