Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 537 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 11:23 AM

A little background information:

I'm writing about this topic because of a discussion on one of my other posts.  I'm wanting to put ballast in my rear tires because I have a front end loader on my GT.  The discussion can be found here http://gardentractor...-22#entry716517.  To sum it up I don't want to use windshield washer fluid because it is flammable.   I was thinking about using RV antifreeze instead or Rimguard (beet juice).  Some were surprised that washer fluid was flammable so I thought that I would do a new post to help people be more aware.

I was at Walmart today and looked at the Windshield washing fluid.  Here is what the labels of Prestone, RainX, and the Walmart brand say:

20161003_073021.jpg 20161003_073053.jpg 20161003_073119.jpg 20161003_073136.jpg

All of them say "Flammable" which is why I don't want to use it as ballast. 

I also looked at a couple of brands of RV antifreeze and the Walmart brands said "Flammable" but the Prestone did not.  The Prestone RV antifreeze is $4.65 a gallon (Rimguard is $4.50 gallon at local tire shop) but it does contain anticorrosive additives to protect your rims.  My biggest concern is safety.  I just want people to be aware that windshield washing fluid can be dangerous and to considered this when using it for a ballast in your tires.  The right RV antifreeze is more expensive but it might be worth the extra cost.

This is my $0.02 worth.

• tractorgarden, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#2 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 12:10 PM

Sounds like rim guard is the better choice, because it is also heavier. Thats  my 2 cents.

• boyscout862 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#3 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 537 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 12:26 PM

Sounds like rim guard is the better choice, because it is also heavier. Thats  my 2 cents.

It's going to be my choice as well but not everyone will have Rim guard available in their areas that's why I wanted everyone to know about the RV antifreeze.

Edited by Mark 149 J., October 03, 2016 - 12:27 PM.

• tractorgarden said thank you

#4 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 12:40 PM

It might say flammable on the label but I don't know what a person would have to do to try to get it to burn.If you have a burning paper towel,you can put it out with a spritzer bottle with -20 washer fluid so I am not sure what your concerns are with using it in a tire.

• KennyP, tractorgarden, diesel nut and 1 other said thanks

#5 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 975 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 12:49 PM

There's so much CYA on product info anymore it makes you wonder what is safe anymore.

Mike

• tractorgarden and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#6 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 12:51 PM

:yeah_that:  :iagree:  I just got done loading the rear tires of a Ford 6610 with 210 gallons of washer fluid for a customer.  I saw the flammable sticker on the barrels and was a little concerned myself so I looked on youtube and there's videos of people trying to make it burn and it won't.  I put some in a metal can and tried using the oxy/acetlene torch and it just melted the can.  The alcohol is flammable but there isn't a high enough concentration of it to make it easily ignite with a spark.  I just kind of figured that the warning was on the label because at some point there is or was a person that was able to make it ignite and they blew something up.                 Stewart

• KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#7 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 12:58 PM

I got it to burn in a can but it wasn't real impressive. I work in a collision shop and on alot of front end hits the washer bottle is broken and the fluid was sent all over the hot engine, I've yet to see one burnt to the ground from washer fluid. It might be flammable but the chances are better that you get in a gun fight with terrorists and hit by lightning on the same day than a fire starting from washer fluid filled tires.
  • KennyP, tractorgarden and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#8 aagitch OFFLINE  

aagitch
  • Member No: 81045
  • 105 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 05:59 PM

It's another one of those gov't requirements to cover people's butts

• KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#9 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 06:20 PM

Rocks are flammable and steel is also in fact almost everything will burn it is just a matter of flash point. While in the Navy I found out that even the fire bottle we used to extinguish engine fires could ignite given the right circumstances, magnesium fire will never go out and burns extremely hot.
  • Mark 149 J. said thank you

#10 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 06:28 PM

Winshield washer fluid contains 5-15% Isopropyl alcohol depending on freezing temp rating.

RV antifreeze contains up to 5% of Isopropyl alcohol but is suspended in the Propylene Glycol/De-ionized Water solution so it's flash point will be Much higher then the Winshield washer fluid.

Bad thing is that Propylene Glycol is very very hard on Tires.It pulls the oils out of the tires which dries them out and causes them to weather check and crack.Propylene Glycol was 1st introduced as an industrial grade Solvent because of it's abilities to absorb chemicals.

That's why all of the newer radiator hoses have a PVC (polyvinyl chloride) based or silicon rubber inner liner.As it does not affect those nearly as fast as a just a rubber hose.

These tires had RV antifreeze in them.I pulled them off to try to patch where 1 of them was leaking through a crack in the tread but the patch would not hold.After I got both tires off and cleaned up I seen how bad they were cracked up and decided to put other tires on the rims.Rims looked real good.Still had most of the paint on them.This is what RV antifreeze does to a 4 ply Good Year tire in roughly 10-12 years.

IMG_20161003_161330.jpg IMG_20161003_161411.jpg IMG_20161003_161439.jpg

Edited by EricFromPa, October 03, 2016 - 06:30 PM.

• tractorgarden, WHdbJD and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#11 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,625 Thanks
  • 3,867 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 06:46 PM

Rim Guard at 11 lbs per gallon is the way to go and save for your tires.

• tractorgarden and Sawdust have said thanks

#12 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 07:31 PM

Regular green antifreeze is also flammable. It has to be an extremely fine mist under the exact right conditions. I've seen heavy trucks burned from an engine coolant fire but it is rare. Typically to get the fine mist requires very high pressure. I'd wager that you can't get there in a garden tractor tire.
  • Mark 149 J. said thank you

#13 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 975 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 09:23 PM

It's another one of those gov't requirements to cover people's butts

Yep, like I said : CYA.

Mike

#14 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 537 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 09:33 PM

A lot of great points have been made so far!  When I think back (20+ years) to the bottle of windshield washer fluid that I blew up at the GM dealer (which is why I didn't want to use windshield fluid) I realized something.  The AC Delco bottle was concentrated.  We always had to add water to it.  That would explain why it blew-up so violently.  It was closer to 30 to 40 percent alcohol. 

I did learn something about RV antifreeze and tires.  They don't mix either, unless you like to spend money on tires every couple of years. :smilewink:

• tractorgarden and shorty have said thanks

#15 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 10:15 PM

I understand all the concerns & worth thinking about but how is this any more dangerous than a tank of gas sitting in front of us over a hot engine producing hot exhaust & sometimes flames.
  • KennyP said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tire, ballast, windshield, fluid, rv antifreeze, beetjuice, rimguard