• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,988 Thanks
  • 3,862 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 07:57 AM

Does any body ever sharpin them. Was plowin yesterday and the coulter didn't want to cut the weeds and left over plants from the garden. It just seemed to keep the plow from diggin in right. So then I wondered about the disks if they would work better if sharp. I think they would get dull fairly fast once they get into the dirt. Just a weird question that I think I already know the answer to, but was wondering what other people do. It would wear out things quicker I would say, if it was sharpened a lot.
Your thoughts, please.

Noel.

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,510 Thanks
  • 2,424 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 08:06 AM

Must be some tough weeds!  I've never heard of anyone sharpening their coulter.  I've been using the same plow since I was a kid and have never sharpened it.  It still feels rather sharp to me so I never though about it.  You would probably be better served by adding weight to the plow so it digs in better.  I've seen people do this since not many of these little tractors have down pressure.  When I go to a plow day and the soil is tough in spots, I'll just lean back and push down on the top link to get the plow to sink.  I think some weight would be your best bet or simply take the coulter off.

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#3 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,988 Thanks
  • 3,862 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 08:10 AM

I had thought about adding weight. You see that on the you tube videos.

Noel

#4 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,863 Thanks
  • 4,748 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 04:01 AM

I can't comment about coulter blades, but I do know that they used to sharpen disc blades back in the horse drawn days.  Here's a tool that they used to do that.

100_5517.JPG 100_5518.JPG 100_5519.JPG 100_5520.JPG

According to the gentleman that owned it, they would sharpen the blades as they were moving in the field.

For your problem though, I don't  think that sharpening the coulter would do much good.

What you need would be a notched coulter, and I don't know if Brinly even made those.  A notched coulter or disc blade is better suited to cutting trash.  The smooth blades are good in sod, and not-trashy ground.

Here are what the notched blades look like:

http://www.agrisuppl...-blade/p/41417/

ETA:  Adding weight to the plow should not be necessary.  When properly setup, a plow will pull itself down to the depth determined by the amount of 'tilt' that it has and will run at that depth without needing weight or a depth gauge wheel.

Edited by OldBuzzard, October 04, 2016 - 04:06 AM.

• KennyP and propane1 have said thanks