1 reply to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 06:29 PM

I have a 16.5 hp Briggs I/C single with cast iron sleeve (31070).  It smokes badly when under load or accelerating.  I get 110 lbs of compression cold and dry, so I am thinking it isn't rings.  The OHV cover has a lot of oil in it.  If I clean it out, it doesn't smoke for the first 5 minutes or so.  Could it be the intake valve stem seal?  If so, how hard is it to replace?

#2 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 06:45 PM

Another OHV Vanguard or Intek single with a Blown head gasket lol

It's supposed to have oil in the valve cover but it's Not supposed to get into the combustion chamber.The head gasket blows out between the Push rod galley and the cylinder.

Don't worry it's very very common for the OHV Briggs single cylinder engines to blow the head gasket.It's also commonly Misdiagnosed as worn piston rings.That's why I pick them up all the time very very cheap and put a $8-$15 head gasket and a new valve cover gasket and resell them or repower other mowers with them.

Here's a very very good video of how to change a head gasket on a OHV Briggs single cylinder engine.

If you have any other questions just ask.We'll get ya all fixed up in a jiffy lol

• Gtractor, Alc, HowardsMF155 and 5 others have said thanks