• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wayneandroxanne OFFLINE  

wayneandroxanne
  • Member No: 84829
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 02:55 PM

Have 2 1/2 acres of hilly rough terrain....Looking at GT17 with Kohler engine but unknown tranny until I get to look at it....I've had Simplicity 7117's but sold them as wife didn't like them ...duh......

I need advice on the tranny and if parts etc  are still available....the wife wants a new Cub Cadet  but I'm afraid it will fall apart on the rough hills

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,566 Thanks
  • 3,950 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 04:05 PM

Welcome to GTtalk! I would be more concerned about the engine than the hydro. The first series of the Kohler 17 horse were troublesome. The second series got the issues ironed out. Both series are in found in the GT17.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 04:34 PM

By the Cub, KT17 not a good engine, and Ariens not easiest to find parts for. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,566 Thanks
  • 3,950 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 05:11 PM

The Ariens is a much heavier machine and much more stable on the hill than a lighter machine. I mow hills and slopes that a lot would say to stay off.

#5 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 353 Thanks
  • 357 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 07:26 PM

I would stay away from any newer riding mower if you have a lot of hills. From what I've seen, the newer transaxles, especially the hydros, aren't as stout as they used to be. The Ariens would be a fine machine, as long as it has a Series II KT17 in it. An older Cub Cadet would do just fine as well. Same note on the Series II KT17. I've ran/owned both. You can't beat these old garden tractors with a Sundstrand hydro in them.
  • shorty and Gillis.jim have said thanks

#6 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 08:37 PM

Buy a Cub if you want but DON'T buy a new Cub.... I have both Cubs and Ariens,  and my wife likes the Ariens better for some reason/

my cubs and my buddy's that we sometimes use when we mow his farm yard are 1200s and 1250's I also have a Cub 129 in line to have its time in the garage....  equal condition and price it would be a tossup as to which one to get.... a slight edge to the Cub as attachments do seem to be easier to find in this part of the country

I do know of a nice Simp 7117 for sale nearby..... but it would be tough for me to get used to that left hand discharge

Ariens, I have an S14H and a GT 19..... my wife likes the S14 (even though I only have a 12hp on it right now)  she hasn't eve been on my GT19.... the big difference there is power steering  on the GT19, which she doesn't yet know about........

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: advice, gt17