coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 11:46 AM

Today was the day to go look at the d160, though the adventure started last night. I had to go to my mothers house to retrive my trailer as that I had left it over there a few weeks ago from another project. My small trailer has a busted out tail light so I had picked one up a few weeks ago also. So I get home and eat supper with the family and then go out to put on the new light. Lesson 1: tail lights come in driver side and curb side. Of course I had the wrong one, I put it on anyway. I wire it up and it doesnt work. Bad ground i am guessing so I grind off the paint and reinstall it. Still a nogo. I break out the meter and cant find my 12Vdc. Couldnt find it in the plug from the truck so the heck with it, I am going to use it anyway. The morale of the stroy is another 5 minute job turns into 2 hours and still not fixed.

The morning came and i loaded up the trailer, wife and kids. I drop the kids off at daycare and hunny bunny and myself head out on our adventure. (we like doing that). 1.5 hours later i pull into the guys place and there it is sitting on his trailer. It looks good and my heart starts getting faster (new tractor fever). Then i get to looking at it, first thing is check is the motor and ignition, compression, new points, new condensor, new plug wires, new coil. The cover is off the points so i turn the engine over by hand. I dont see the plunger moving! I remain quiet about this but internally I am shouting "Thank you search function on GTT". Then he shows me the 3PTH and mower deck, my heart drops. Its a homemade 3PTH and is nowhere near complete. The deck has a few holes in it but the spindles feel good.

I am heart broken at this point, the main things I wanted this for was to be a mower and a backup GT for gardening. I feel horrible that he has been holding this for me for 3 weeks and has taken time off from work today so that we could meet. We talk about it and i am let him know what I dont like but that I feel obligated to him for telling everyone else "not until BC looks at it". He understands my reservations so we talk somemore and settle on a decent price. neither of us are excited about it but neither of us felt screwed. We load it up on my trailer and thats when the real adventure starts.

We roll it backwards from his trailer onto mine, it barely fits. We get it it strapped down after a few tries and I start to leave. I hit a dip in his driveway and hear a BAMMM! i look back and see the tongue of the trailer in the air. You see I had to repair the hitch from where my brother used the trailer and proceeded to break the latch. I guess the nuts in the latch had vibrated loose and allowed the locking mechanism to open up. We managed to get the trailer back on the ball and the PO let me use an adjustable to tighten the latch back up. Now my nerves are shot, I have to drive 30 miles worth of interstate with this rig. I get out the drive way and make my way back through the little town he lives in. I stopped at the hardware store and bought my own adjustable and tighten the lacth even more while I was there. Then onto the interstate. Every bump, every wiggle, everything thats happening I fell in the truck and i am terrified that I am going to dump my load and kill someone. So here I am driving like Granny on sunday afternoon and everyone is passing me by, everybody is being curtious though and not blowing the horns or cussing me. Halfway home it suddenly dawns on me why I fell so much movement of the trailer, all the weight of the tractor is behind the axle! Dumb me didnt even think about when loading. Well the farther we made it from his house the better aI felt and more confident i felt with the trailer. Itwas pulling fine and no fish tailing. The load was tight everytime I stopped to check it. I dont breath normal again until I pull in the driveway of my house. I am finally able to pry my fingers from the steering wheel and sigh with relief as I put the truck in park.

My next stepp was to come inside make a pot of coffee, get a smoke, and detail our adventure on GTT. When the rain passes I will get some pics and see if I can get the plunger unstuck.

BTW: My wife enjoyed our adventure, its been a while since we had one together. plus she Is making me get a new trailer soon!

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 12:02 PM

Glad you had a safe trip back. I myself had had trailers come off the ball and it is not fun to clean the mud out of them haha. And having persmission to buy a new trailer is a good thing because now you can get one slightly bigger with a better hauling capacity. I would also recommend spending extra money and buy a "Bulldog" brand trailer hitch, they have them designed to tighten up on the ball as the get more worn. Good luck with your new purchase.

#3 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 12:03 PM

Here are some pics!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2410.jpg
  • DSCF2404.jpg
  • DSCF2403.jpg
  • DSCF2405.jpg
  • DSCF2400.jpg
  • DSCF2406.jpg
  • DSCF2409.jpg
  • DSCF2402.jpg
  • DSCF2408.jpg
  • DSCF2401.jpg
  • DSCF2407.jpg

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 12:13 PM

That is a rugged looking beastie.

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 12:32 PM

looks to be in decent overall condition.

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 02:56 PM

I don't know how much you paid, but I see a good-nuff tractor there! As to the trip, I had much the same trip when I bought the asphalt sealer to get the Kubota diesel off it, but I had 250 miles to tow it home! I see 3 silver linings in your story: ONE- A good tractor project TWO- You end up with a larger trailer (MUCH needed!)
and THREE- Ya made it home!
First thing you MUST do is go get a bigger trailer before your wife re-thinks things! LOL On the deck, I believe I would reline the entire underside instead of patching spots. Lots of work, but done right the first time, you'll get years of service from it without revisiting it every year for 3 years.
I like it!

#7 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 05:16 PM

AWSOME MACHINE!!! My D160 has the Kohler 16, that machine ought to have pulling power out the wazoo. Good Find, these are great tractors. Some day when I win the Lottery, I am going to put a new 2 cyl on my D200 and my D160. LOL

Best regards, George

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,616 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 06:41 PM

Looking good! The deck is fixable, the tractor looks great.
I bet that's a pulling machine!
I will say this, the mower looks better than the one that came with my D120. It's junk with blades.

#9 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 08:49 PM

I wanted to get on here and tell everybody that its up and running, but the afternoon was canceled due to rain. Maybe this weekend I can get some time.

#10 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 10:12 PM

On the deck, I believe I would reline the entire underside instead of patching spots. Lots of work, but done right the first time, you'll get years of service from it without revisiting it every year for 3 years.
I like it!

Digging up old threads!
OCH could you explain about relining the deck? I di manage to get the one big hole patched and its ugly as he!! but it works .

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 10:25 PM

That deck appears to have a flat top side. You would first cut out a flat plate of metal that would cover all the flat area. Drill 5/16" holes about 6" apart all over the replacement plate to allow for welding it to the original deck. Then it gets harder on the angular sides, front, & back. It would require forming metal to fit the curves. This could be done with the correct metal forming tools, or done in strips of metal no wider than 3", welded along one edge, then heated & pounded into the correct curve, then welded into place. Add as many strips as needed to reach the finish line! It IS a LOT of work, but on rare decks it is about the only option, other than re-fitting with another deck.
If not worrying about whether it is all original, it would be a lot easier to take all your OE deck's mounting hardware & fitting it to a more common deck of another make....I've done both, and re-fitting another deck is far easier.
  • coldone said thank you

#12 546cowboy OFFLINE  

546cowboy

• Member No: 5766
  • 6 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 10:04 AM

You know some years ago I had a Cub Cadet deck that was really bad and what I did was to disassemble the deck and make a template out of some 1/2" foam I had. I marked cut and drilled all the holes. I then took the template to a local welding shop had had them cut a piece if 1/8" plate to fit the entire top of the deck. I still have that deck. It is pretty heavy though as I added another plate to the top side later.

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 10:10 AM

Decks like on most older Cubs are a breeze to repair/rebuild. Being flat on all areas, with no curves makes it easy.

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 03:33 PM

I missed this thread, sorry. You can pick up any 42" or 48" deck for a C/300?400 series WH and just change the hangers over. They share the same deck, but D-series used a wider hanger arrangement. They both share the same bolt hole between all series tractors. I hope this helps you out.
  • coldone said thank you

#15 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted February 02, 2012 - 11:41 AM

I also missed this thread the first time around. I would love to have a D-series, but they're probably Wheel Horse's most problematic tractor. Hydro problems, unique attachments, etc. are just some of the problems with these machines. They're a beast, but the hydrostatic transmission aren't heavy duty enough for the size of the tractor.