Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 05:30 AM

I'm fed up with showing up at least two days early only to find just about every spot big enough for a small camper already spoken for after traveling 240 miles  and six hours

That shouldn't happen . Ironically that area of the grove you were set up I thought there wasn't as many displays and motorhomes/trailers  quite a few trucks parked there such they took a lot of space .  I too am looking forward to having the new area better marked for displaying . I think that would make a nice spot for those like you with trailers to spread out and the narrow areas for smaller displays like myself .   The spot I set up doesn't suit the hit and miss fellows because the ground is so uneven but it's fine for my tractors ( that's were HANK set up for the July show )  Were there spots that you were told were spoken only to find out nobody set up there ?  Reason I ask is   David whom I set up next to knows just about all the regulars and said there were quite a few that didn't display . They're getting older and it's harder to bring their stuff to show .  

• earthgrinder said thank you

#33 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • Member No: 53940
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 08:30 PM

That shouldn't happen . Ironically that area of the grove you were set up I thought there wasn't as many displays and motorhomes/trailers  quite a few trucks parked there such they took a lot of space .  I too am looking forward to having the new area better marked for displaying . I think that would make a nice spot for those like you with trailers to spread out and the narrow areas for smaller displays like myself .   The spot I set up doesn't suit the hit and miss fellows because the ground is so uneven but it's fine for my tractors ( that's were HANK set up for the July show )  Were there spots that you were told were spoken only to find out nobody set up there ?  Reason I ask is   David whom I set up next to knows just about all the regulars and said there were quite a few that didn't display . They're getting older and it's harder to bring their stuff to show .  

Don't get me wrong - I'm not bashing the club or show. If I didn't like the show, I wouldn't have come back but there are some issues that might need to be addressed.I emailed the club Pres asking if it would be ok if I set up on Wed, thinking that we would have a better chance of getting a more suitable site than the last two years, to which he said that would be fine. We got there Wed afternoon and there were only a few campers there so I figured we would make out good this time but I was wrong. We took a walk around the grounds and found almost every available site suitable for a small camper like ours was already tagged with ID markers and roped off. Some had empty tables set up or other objects to let people know that the site was already taken. I noticed that some of the names on the markers were of people who actually live no where near Bangor, so they must be having locals go out there and claim spots before others start to show up. I guess they figured they have squatter's rights if they've been there enough times.

Anyway, we settled for a narrow spot next to the RR track only to find out that we had set up on the spot that is usually reserved for the guys who run the train. They said they didn't have time to tape it off before Wed but were nice about it and told us to stay put and took a spot on the other side of the isle. The Vise Pres of the club said the new grove was now open to exhibitors and that they had been trying to get the word out but people are stubborn about moving to a new location. I told him that if I knew it was available, I would have gone over there in the first place but there were no signs or isles roped off to indicate what it was to be used for. I'm not a member and don't live in that area, so had no clue as to what was going on. That grove was used as a parking lot last year and by Sunday, that's what it was being used for again this year, except along the road where the garden tractors were set up. Those guys must have been eating dirt and dust all day long!

In the long run, everything worked out ok and it was kinda cool have the train run by our window every once in a while but I'm not planning to go back next year. I'm not all that confident that the issue with the new grove will be resolved by then.

Other than these issues, I really like the show and would probably go every year just as a spectator if I lived a lot closer. It really is worth checking out.

Al H.

• earthgrinder said thank you

#34 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 817 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 08:56 PM

Here is the story on the tractor photo I posted.  Al Hofer (Panzerguy)  was there the whole show and reported the following:  It is entirely home made and was built by a Mennonite. That U shaped frame on the front end came out of cow barn and was used to keep cows in place while milking.  So now we have the rest of the story.

Edited by earthgrinder, October 19, 2016 - 08:57 PM.

• DougT and Alc have said thanks