Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

The most. Dreaded phone call

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,137 Thanks
  • 2,269 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 11:56 AM

So sorry to hear this, but your brother already knew you loved him, as your actions during this showed, so your actions before this surely showed him as well.  Do not punish yourself for not getting there in time, for he had you there with him already, and you were holding him tight to your heart the whole time.  I'm just so glad you didn't have an accident driving!  It's gonna be a tough time ahead, so please take care of yourself!

I agree with Daniel 100% on this.  I was going to say that you did better than tell him you love him.  By way of what you did and what you went through to get there, you more than showed him not only that you love him but how much.  You can be sure that he got updates on your progress.  The nap was a smart thing to do.  Without it, your family may well have been mourning the loss of two brothers.  Very sorry for your loss.

• olcowhand, MH81, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#17 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,522 Thanks
  • 3,067 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 12:56 PM

Everyone has said it much better than I could. My heart is with you now and in the coming days.

• DougT, MH81, Kmac1 and 1 other said thanks

#18 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62275
  • 517 Thanks
  • 218 posts

Posted October 02, 2016 - 07:42 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind words and encouragement
  • olcowhand, DougT, MH81 and 2 others have said thanks

#19 toppop52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54420
  • 3,212 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 08:36 AM

I did get to see my brother the day before he died, but not my dad. Your brother knows you couldn't be there, he's just waiting for you.

• Kmac1 said thank you

#20 tiretrx OFFLINE  

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 756 Thanks
  • 565 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 12:25 PM

You certainly did the best anyone could. Very sorry for your loss, my sincere condolences.

• Kmac1 said thank you

#21 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,748 Thanks
  • 1,393 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 07:16 AM

Very sorry to hear of your loss.

• Kmac1 said thank you

#22 pick-to-stone OFFLINE  

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 248 Thanks
  • 356 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 09:15 AM

Don't beat your self up over it I know what it's like because you tried I was to scared to go and see my great grandfather I regreat not going to see him before he pass I jest couldn't see him like that but then I look on the bright side I had so many good of him before he pass .The best thing to do is to keep all the good memories with you and all the bad one's lock away to where no one will find them and keep him in hart and mind and never let go

I will keep you and your family in my prays

Edited by pick-to-stone, October 04, 2016 - 09:18 AM.

• KennyP, oldedeeres and Kmac1 have said thanks

#23 Austin OFFLINE  

• Admin
  • Staff
  • Member No: 78762
  • 431 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 10:20 AM

I'm back to work again in west Texas after being laid off for 9 months. Working 14 on 14 off. The last 7 days of my hitch was pure hell. Without going into great detail I'll just say I was getting 2-4 hours sleep every 24 hrs. My last 2 days I got no sleep in 48 hrs. Tuesday morning at 5:30 am I pass out on the sofa knowing my relief would be there soon. I wake up at 9:30 am wondering where I'm at, then I remembered what was going on. Fast forward to 4:00 pm my nephew calls and says his dad (my brother) is going to hospital it does not look good when can u be home. I said as soon as I get my truck loaded I can leave in 30 minutes. It's 629 miles home, will I get there in time. I leave and drive well over the speed limit I'm I-20 and the turnpike that takes me home. 1:00 Wednesday morning my eyes are barely open I'm weaving all over the road so. Pull over in a small town to get a nap. I'm still 2 hours from the hospital. I got a call 45 minutes after i stopped that said my brother passed. I tried, I really really tried to get there in time and I didn't make it. I wanted to get there and hold hind and tell him I love him but I didn't make it. I'm sorry I didn't make but I tried.

You tried. Regardless of what happened you tried and there's nothing else you could have done without risking your own life or the life of others.

I'm sorry for your loss. That's a major blow. 

• KennyP, oldedeeres, Kmac1 and 1 other said thanks