Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Highly dislike Microsoft

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 03, 2016 - 09:26 AM

The one thing I think I appreciate the most about Linux and open source is it gives you the freedom of choice. In most things you have the choice to use something else more suited for your needs.  If you don't like the way a Distro does something move on to another Distro.  If a certain application doesn't work for you there is usually another app that will do the same thing and may work better for you.

I can't really complain about Windows, I made a good living using Windows for database development, before retirement.  But it was always nice to come home and use Linux at night and not have to worry about all the nastiies out there.  Linux has come a long way from when I started with it.

• ducky and lyall have said thanks

#17 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted October 04, 2016 - 05:12 PM

I went to Ubuntu about 4 years ago. Currently running 16.4 LTS. It does most anything I need to do with a computer. I have one Windows computer a laptop with Windows 7 and the only thing I need that for is to download the updated Maps for my Garmin GPS. Garmin still does not support Linux.
I don't feel that Linux has a real steep learning curve if you use an OS like Mint which is very Windows like.
I would suggest trying Mint on a DVD or USB drive or even dual boot alongside windows. You may enjoy it.
Remember we are always here to give you a hand.

Edited by ducky, October 04, 2016 - 05:14 PM.

• shorty and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#18 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,234 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted October 11, 2016 - 07:02 PM

I must not use computers the same as everyone else.  I do not use them for work other than excel and opening PDFs.  But seriously, I have no problems with Windows 10.  Works great, I turn on my computer, I download my stuff, I watch movies, watch youtube, and turn it off till I am ready to use it again.  Which isn't often as 99% of the time I use my phone and tablet.

Never have any issues, it works just fine.  I did dislike the interface of windows 8 a lot.  Much preferred XP, but now I really like Windows 10.

• Cvans said thank you

#19 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 09:54 AM

I must not use computers the same as everyone else.  I do not use them for work other than excel and opening PDFs.  But seriously, I have no problems with Windows 10.  Works great, I turn on my computer, I download my stuff, I watch movies, watch youtube, and turn it off till I am ready to use it again.  Which isn't often as 99% of the time I use my phone and tablet.

Never have any issues, it works just fine.  I did dislike the interface of windows 8 a lot.  Much preferred XP, but now I really like Windows 10.

The issue with Win 10 is not the interface or what you see, it's what you don't see or know what is going on behind the scenes.  The no other spyware can rival the spyware M$ has put into Win 10.  Right now M$ is building a database from what Win 10 is reporting back on all your habit, surfing preferences, and can even listen in to conversations close at hand, even if the computer is supposedly shut down.  The only way for sure you know it is shut down is to unplug it.  Everyone complains about the NSA but the NSA has nothing on M$ when it comes to spying on their customers.  Why do you think that M$ went to such underhanded tricks to get people to upgrade to Win 10?  Just think what that data is worth that they are collecting on you and everyone who uses Win 10.  You can shut some of the feed back features down supposedly but it has been proven that you can't stop all of it.  

You pay good $$$ to protect your computer from viruses, malware, spyware etc, but yet the very OS you are using is the worlds biggest spyware and they are doing it legally!  M$ has a long history of anti-trust and under handed tactics and this is just one more.  Yes you got win 10 for free but you are paying for it with your privacy and freedom.  Just think about all those who were tricked into the upgrade and don't know how to revert back.  They lost their freedom of choice. 

• Bruce Dorsi and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,234 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 09:55 AM

The issue with Win 10 is not the interface or what you see, it's what you don't see or know what is going on behind the scenes. The no other spyware can rival the spyware M$ has put into Win 10. Right now M$ is building a database from what Win 10 is reporting back on all your habit, surfing preferences, and can even listen in to conversations close at hand, even if the computer is supposedly shut down. The only way for sure you know it is shut down is to unplug it. Everyone complains about the NSA but the NSA has nothing on M$ when it comes to spying on their customers. Why do you think that M$ went to such underhanded tricks to get people to upgrade to Win 10? Just think what that data is worth that they are collecting on you and everyone who uses Win 10. You can shut some of the feed back features down supposedly but it has been proven that you can't stop all of it.

You pay good $$$ to protect your computer from viruses, malware, spyware etc, but yet the very OS you are using is the worlds biggest spyware and they are doing it legally! M$ has a long history of anti-trust and under handed tactics and this is just one more. Yes you got win 10 for free but you are paying for it with your privacy and freedom. Just think about all those who were tricked into the upgrade and don't know how to revert back. They lost their freedom of choice.

I don't doubt you but that sounds like some huge conspiracy theory.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#21 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 12, 2016 - 03:09 PM

I don't doubt you but that sounds like some huge conspiracy theory.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

No conspiracy theory.  Just check out the tech sites or some ofl the articles Travis has been posting.  It is a fact that Windows 10 reports back to M$ with just about everything you do in the name of user experience.  Check with some of the people here on GTT who had their systems up dated to window 10 without their permission or because they used the red X to shut down the nag screen and it updated.   Back around 2008 (not real sure about the date) DOJ took M$ to court on anti-trust charges which brought out how they bullied the computer companies into only installing windows. This is a matter of public record. Then they came up with this secure boot to try and eliminate installing another OS so once again they would be dominate.  Now with Windows 10 and their privacy invasion.  From what I know some of the reporting can be turned off but the CEO of M$ himself said that not all could be.

Years ago a Linux distro did something similar but not on the magnitude Windows 10 does. When it came out, which didn't take long, the distro shut down with in a short period of time like a month if that.  The Linux community won't stand for such a invasion.

Some pleasure reading for you.

http://gardentractor...ind-windows-10/

http://lifehacker.co...ally-1722267229

http://www.slate.com..._plug_them.html

http://thenextweb.co...07/29/wind-nos/

http://betanews.com/...s-your-privacy/

#22 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 15, 2016 - 07:42 AM

With MS, money HAS to be made somewhere and in our present reality, more money can be made with "big data" that by selling the product.  Here's the way I see it...

MS is now making money by "anonymously" tracking your actions and feeding products or ads to you subversively.  I suspect the only way to really avoid that is an enterprise version of Win10.  

Yous gotta pays to plays... with M$ you get a free OS with ads and more perceived freedom.  With a Mac you pay more for the product, deal with more restrictions and don't get the ads.  With Linux, you get freedom but there is potential to encounter more problems or quirks.  In my case, I go for the latter two and keep the first one around because it is just part of our reality.

Ultimately, you pick your poison

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks